My first Sprite

Discussion in 'The Graveyard' started by MoRa, Jun 25, 2009 with 22 replies and 327 views.

1. MoRa

MoRa Banned

Ratings:
    This is the first sprite I have ever done. I never did one because they looked hard to do. But I always loved how they look so I gave it a shot.

What do you guys think?

Blastoise
    [​IMG]

Charizard
    [​IMG]

2. Saiyan

Saiyan Member

Ratings:
    not bad. Keep up the good work.

3. OP
    MoRa

MoRa Banned

Ratings:
    Thanks Saiyan I really appreciate it.

4. Sergeant Menace

Sergeant Menace Banned

Ratings:
    That looks really good, now do it with charizard lol.

5. OP
    MoRa

MoRa Banned

Ratings:
    LOL.

Because I'm bored I will and I'll update the original post.

6. Sergeant Menace

Sergeant Menace Banned

Ratings:
    WOOT!! This is going to be the best you've ever made :biggrin: Go charizard!

7. OP
    MoRa

MoRa Banned

Ratings:
    I made it. Tell me what you think.

8. Sergeant Menace

Sergeant Menace Banned

Ratings:
    It's good but it looks kind of plain where charizard is standing. Try adding more effects to it and it would look better. Other than that it's sexy :smile:

9. OP
    MoRa

MoRa Banned

Ratings:
    What do you mean by effects?

10. Sergeant Menace

Sergeant Menace Banned

Ratings:
    Like in the Blastoise one its brightened and you can see more of the ripples in the background making it look more clean and finished I guess. In the background for the charizard one you can kind of see some of the things in the background but there's not a lot. Understand what I mean now? Sorry, I'm bad at explaining things :tongue:

11. OP
    MoRa

MoRa Banned

Ratings:
    No, I get it. I have more background on Blastoise then on Charizard. I'll try re-doing it later.

12. Sergeant Menace

Sergeant Menace Banned

Ratings:
    Cool, I'll be waiting :smile:
    I've been sitting on the forums for 4 hours straight.

13. OP
    MoRa

MoRa Banned

Ratings:
    There I re-made it. And I think it looks better then before.

14. Sergeant Menace

Sergeant Menace Banned

Ratings:
    Nice work, I like this one more than the other version. Keep it up :smile:

15. ThePope43

ThePope43 Retired Retired

Ratings:
    Pokemon, really? lol come on

Do

one

of

Pink Lemonade

:thumbup::thumbup::cool::cool::tongue::tongue::confused:cared::confused:cared::w00t::w00t::smile::biggrin::wink:

16. OP
    MoRa

MoRa Banned

Ratings:
    I don't even know what Pink Lemonade is.

But still what do you think?

17. TehPhelix

TehPhelix VIP VIP Retired

Ratings:
    Try to make more use of your negative space, when you leave such a large area with negative space it normally is used to create a flow for the lighting. Yet I don't see a source for the lighting within the signature that is strong enough, the one you can barely see on the bottom doesn't go with the flow of direction your lighting is. Your flow is a bit off but it's fine if that's the case. You definitely need to work on depth, text, and coloring. Just some things to focus on a little more for your next signature but for a first with sprites it is definitely good. Sprites tend to be harder because they are smaller forcing you to create more negative space and more effects.

18. OP
    MoRa

MoRa Banned

Ratings:
    Thanks that's the type of answer I wanted. And for the lighting I wasn't sure how to place it because these 2 renders I used don't seem to have a good flow to them.

Also by depth what do you mean?

19. TehPhelix

TehPhelix VIP VIP Retired

Ratings:
    Yeah, most sprites don't especially if they are standing still with no action. That's why people tend to use the ones that are in mid action more often as they can create a lighting and flow to go along with it.

By depth I mean it seems as if it is all too dimensional. Your depth was better on the charizard one but for the blastoise one it is almost non-existant. You should be able to tell which is above the effects for the most part. There are a couple ways to do this, using the dodge/burn/sponge tool to make this that aren't in focus to be darker and the closer focus to be lighting or vice-versa. You can also blur areas that arent in focus to show they are in the background while sharpening the objects in focus. Only noticable enough but not to oversharpen. When it comes to sprites, it tends to be a lot more difficult to make a signature because you have less of a render to work with. But like with the blastoise one, it seems the effects, sprite, and text, as well as the negative space are just flat and has no dimensions to it.

20. JoeMal

JoeMal Retired Retired

Ratings:
    Phelix pointed out some good things. As mentioned, watch out for your negative space. Going from the focal point to straight black suddenly takes away from the tag. Try to have your colors flow in and out more. And yes, your depth can make your tags look like they go on and on forever. Try blurring some things in the background or work on your lighting to make things look like they're in the background/foreground