My first impressions of Windows 7

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by AzzidReign, Jan 27, 2009 with 38 replies and 817 views.

1. AzzidReign

AzzidReign I don't do modded or money lobbies. NO GTA AT ALL! Administrator

Ratings:
    I just finished installing Windows 7 and I gotta say, I'm pretty impressed. I've installed a few programs now with ease. There's a few things to get use to but overall, it looks pretty solid already.

Things I did notice (even after installing my huge programs like a few of the Adobe products) was that the boot times have dramatically gotten better. It takes me around 10 seconds to fully shut down. As for starting up, I'm not quite sure as I didn't really pay attention to the timing of it but it seemed much faster than XP and Vista (I've installed both on this system). I also noticed my programs running faster and Firefox seems to be loading web pages much faster than before.

The only thing I don't really like is the taskbar. Having the images there makes it look like they are copying off of Apple (anyone surprised?!). I'm going to look around to tweak some things but when I disabled the image display that comes default, I didn't like the way that looked either lol.

So far everything is running smoothly on it as well. I've installed quite a few large programs and had 0 problems so far. I've even upgraded my firmware to my DVD burner and now I can burn media that I wasn't able to before so I'm really effin happy right now lol.

Overall, I give this OS a 9/10 [so far].

2. punkskater2448

punkskater2448 Taking Over The World Retired

Ratings:
    Windows 7 rocks! Thats all there is to it.

3. Haxalot88

Haxalot88 VIP VIP

Ratings:
    I'm not a huge fan of the looks of the interface, but it's good so far. I like the beta and all, just I hate the fact that it expires on August, and this isn't something that I plan to nuke actual money on for the current moment.

4. Eaton

Eaton Contributor

Ratings:
    There are a few glitches and bugs I have noticed. I also had some compatibility problems while installing Adobe Suites and Visual Studio, but It's pretty good so far.

Also, has anyone gotten AIM to work? It won't work for me...

5. KranK

KranK Member

Ratings:
    I meet all the requirements, but I cant install it...............Does anyone know how I can delete things that show up in the boot manager, I have some Windows Xp Setup option along with vista which I think ****s it all up.....

6. JoeMal

JoeMal Retired Retired

Ratings:
    How is the networking? I thought Vista's networking wizards and sharing was really dumb :thumbdown:

7. OP
    AzzidReign

Ratings:
    I don't use any of windows networking besides connecting to the internet when I first get done reformatting. This time connecting to the internet was very easy and I like the change they've made. It's very similar to the program that I use to connect and share files on my home network (network magic pro).

As for the Adobe products. They will all say they are incompatible but you can click continue and it will work just fine.

8. Eaton

Eaton Contributor

Ratings:
    The setup wouldn't even start. It would stay at the 'Checking system profile" for a minute and then throw an error saying that an unknown setup error has occurred.

9. OP
    AzzidReign

Ratings:
    Which version? I don't use the Suite disc. I downloaded CS4 versions of PS, DW and Acrobat Reader separately so far DW and AR worked just fine.

10. Eaton

Eaton Contributor

Ratings:
    It's the Master Collection. I got it to work. I'm not exactly sure how, though.:mellow:

11. Distorted Hope

Distorted Hope Enthusiast

Ratings:
    azzid, did you get photoshop working?

12. OP
    AzzidReign

Ratings:
    Sure did :smile: Why, you having problems?

13. Haxalot88

Haxalot88 VIP VIP

Ratings:
    Photoshop CS3 has problems with registration on Windows 7 =(

I'm also not a huge fan of the new interface, but it's something that I can get used to. I have noticed that many apps run generally slower though. Especially firefox, which browsing the web is slowed down.

14. OP
    AzzidReign

Ratings:
    Wow really? Man, it's sooooo much faster for me. Like I mentioned in the first post, I've had XP and Vista installed on this computer and W7 is by far the fastest of the 3...for me I guess. What kind of hardware do you have?

And yeah...CS4 is much different from the past CS's but I'm pretty sure you can figure out quickly.

15. Holy Ownage

Holy Ownage Getting There

Ratings:
    Tempted to get it, but the Windows page after you sign in to confirm isn't loading properly for me.

Considering torrenting a copy, hopefully it wont expire August.

16. Eaton

Eaton Contributor

Ratings:
    Official Direct Links:

32bit: [Click here to view the link]

64bit: [Click here to view the link]

17. Haxalot88

Haxalot88 VIP VIP

Ratings:
    Turns out it was because my refresh rate was set really low. Set it to 75 hz, and it made quite the difference.
    I still haven't been able to get photoshop CS3 to register correctly. I tried the internet-based registration and it said it didn't work, tried the phone-base activation, and I keep getting something along the lines of "sorry your information does not match". So then I tried to find a crack proggy to do the activation part for me (since I have a legit serial # and everything) and there are none :cursing:

18. ii CoRrUpT xX

ii CoRrUpT xX Contributor

Ratings:
    Azzid you never told me you have Windows 7! You said you were reformatting to XP!

For those of you who know me...I'm not the best person with computers. If I wanted to try W7, what am I going to need? Will it work on my laptop? Will I lose all of my programs and files?

I don't like being the noob...but you get used to it.

19. OP
    AzzidReign

Ratings:
    Here:
    [Click here to view the link]

Also, if you reformat then you will lose everything. If you dual boot, then you won't lose anything. Someone posted how to do this in another thread.

20. ii CoRrUpT xX

ii CoRrUpT xX Contributor

Ratings:
    Link?

Can I do a backup?