my bridging just stopped working, i am i the only one with this problem?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Game Modding' started by imdavetastic, Feb 24, 2009 with 3 replies and 374 views.

1. imdavetastic

imdavetastic Newbie

Ratings:
    sorry ahead of time if this should be posted in the "need bridging help? post here!" thread

first off i have been able (up until now) to force host perfectly everytime by bridging using zone alarm pro and cain so i am aware of how each program works and what cain shows you when you are host

my setup: i'm using a 32bit hp laptop; both my xbox and laptop are connected to the same router via ethernet cables. i used teh phelix's "complete bridging guide from start to finish" to setup my zone alarm pro and cain. also, i used his thread in combination with adahalo's "how to bridge yourself host-router method" to find games.

when i was able to force host: first, while i was in an xbox live party, i would posion the bridge between my router and my xbox in cain to get my friends' ips. then i would add their ips into zone alarm pro's firewall-zones tab and set them as trusted. next i would create a gears of war 2 room, set my firewall slider on high and then invite my friends to the room. next i would begin matchmaking, wait 10-12 seconds, then put my firewall slider on medium. while searching, after putting the slider on medium, 1-2 ips would show up in cain's lower window but usually they are either a xbox live or epic ip. once a match was found, the 5 opponents' ips would pop up in cain and i would see packets begin to transfer back and forth. when the match was over i would close the room and repeat the process over just as adahalo's explains in his "how to bridge yourself host-router method" thread.

now what happens when i try to force host: without changing any of the settings in zone alarm pro or cain; i follow the steps---use cain to get friends' ips, add them to z.a.p, make a gears room, set firewall slider on high, invite friends, start matchmaking. but now after waiting 10-12 seconds, once i put the firewall slider on medium 5-7 ips pop up right away in cain's lower window and usually between 15-20 packets are transfered but then the transfering stops. if i continue to search, a few seconds after the initial 5-7 ips popped up in cain another 5-7 ips would appear and this would continue to happen until a match is found. i can tell that i am not host because i see that only one of the other team's ips shows packets being transfered (which which will usually hit 10,000 and above before the match is over).

the first time this happen, i jumped on the forums and read that the problem could be that my xbox's ip might have changed which it had so i created a new bridge in cain between my router and my xbox's new ip, but that didnt help

i have tried uninstalling and reinstalling both zone alarm pro and cain then setup them up again by using teh phelix's and adahalo's threads and that still doesn't work. also, i have tried powercycling by unplugging my router and modem and still no luck.

so finally, if anyone has a solution or any suggestions to my problem i would great appreciate the help and if anyone else had this exact same problem it would be nice to know that i'm not the only one out there

thanks

2. Nubble

Nubble Seasoned Member

Ratings:
    Restore your computer to back when it did work, that tends to work for me

3. OP
    imdavetastic

imdavetastic Newbie

Ratings:
    well actually when it first happened i restarted my computer once and it began to work, might try that again

but thanks for the suggestion, i might give it a shot

i tried to edit my previous post but couldnt find the button...but nubble did you have the same problem?

4. Nubble

Nubble Seasoned Member

Ratings:
    Yeah I had the same problem, and restoring the computer made it work again. I have had to do this twice.