What's new

Solved MS Dashboard - Error 21

• Thread starter 0 xBox 0
  • Start date
  • Views 7,996

0 xBox 0

Reaction score
Sin$
Hi sll, first post here as I have not been able to figure this problem out... have been trying for over a week now! Searched all the forums and g00gle but cant find the solution

I have a Halo Edition Xbox [the green one] which was softmodded years ago. Has been working fine ever since, still does. I run the UnleashX dashboardand use XBMC as my media centre software all the time. I recently got a Konig HD cable and wanted to enable digital audio so I can get 5.1 with my receiver but could not chnage it in XBMC. From all reports this must be changed in the originnal MS dashboard first before it can be enabled in XBMC. This is where the problems started...

There is a backup of the MS dash on E:\Backup\MS but if I try and run the .xbe file from there [I think its xboxdash.xbe] I get error 21. I have downloaded numerous versions of the MS dash from this website and completely replaced the E:\Backup\MS folder with the downloaded MS dash files but still get error 21. I have tried putting more and less files in that folder with no sucess. If I put any msdash.xbe files in the C: and try and run them I still get error 21 but then I can't even get into the UnleashX dash any more. I have had to hotswap a couple of times to fix this already. I have been trying to boot the MS dash from the E:\Backup\MS folder if this makes any difference. I want to keep the UnleashX but just boot into the MS dash so I can change this freaking setting.

How do I fix this? It is so annoying! :cursing:

Venomous Fire

Venomous Fire

Retired Admin 4 Life
VIP
Retired
Diamonds Are Forever Mythical Veteran Odysseus' Summit
Reaction score
Sin$
21 - anywhere -

This error says that the machine was booted to display a error, basically someone told the machine to reboot (or launch a xbe) with this flag, and the error code just means its been rebooted by the flag

This occurs frequently when the xbox is unable to boot due to dashboard changes being made (ie Gcue true blue hasnt been resigned, parts of the stock dash are missing - incomplete FTP backup copied to a new HDD for example).

So basically your backup is wrong.. You should have launched your softmod installer and restored the backup from there

search here for Forrrestmaster's guide on fixing different error codes. It will restore your xbox to a retail state and is the easiest way without using XboxHDM

0 xBox 0

Reaction score
Sin$
That's what I tried first of all... from the UnleashX dash I selected restore MS dash and it didn't work, it gave me an error 21 the first time I rebooted. So I hotswapped and fixed it so that I could at least boot into UnleashX and FTP again. I figured that the backup was corrupted so I downloaded a new MS dash from this website and installed it to E:\Backup\MS but I still get error 21.

0 xBox 0

Reaction score
Sin$
I have already searched and seen that guide. I have done this already, the only difference is that I installed the files in my bakup folder E:\Backup\MS instead of the C: I don't want to install to C: and overwrite my UnleashX dasboard unless I absolutely have to. I am trying to run the MS dash from the E:\Backup\MS folder but this still causes an error 21.

Venomous Fire

Venomous Fire

Retired Admin 4 Life
VIP
Retired
Diamonds Are Forever Mythical Veteran Odysseus' Summit
Reaction score
Sin$
Overwrite the whole thing, remove your softmod, then re-softmod

Its not a hard procedure to softmod, takes what, 5 minutes?

GoldBl4d3

GoldBl4d3

VIP
VIP
Retired
Programmer Mythical Veteran Legendary Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
seriously right. Obiously if your having troubles and there not getting better then just do what venomous fire said.

0 xBox 0

Reaction score
Sin$
I backed up my entire xbox hdd and then deleted everything off it. I reinstalled the ms dash files that i downloaded from here to c: This all worked fine and then allowed me to boot into the ms dash and change the audio setting to dolby digital.

Then I copied the entire c: to e:\backup\ms and copied back all of my backed up information from before [obviously I did not replace the e:\backup\ms with the new ms dash info that I just put there]. This then enabled me to boot back into my unleashX dash again. I tried running the ms dash from e:\backup\ms but again I get error 21 like before. Also in XBMC it has still made no difference, in the audio settings I can not chage to digital. It seems like I both the ms dash and unleashX dash must both be functional to work.

Does all of the ms dash info need to be in the c: to work or should it work fine from the e:\backup\ms folder?

This is so lame... I can get each dash to work individually but not both of them at the same time which is what I need!!!

Well some success... all I wanted is to be able to enable digital audio in the ms dashboard. When I removed the softmod and reinstalled the ms dash I was able to do this. I reinstalled the softmod just by copying the entire xbox hdd back to how it was before [from my backup] and it seemed to have remembered the digital setting. I still can't access the ms dash from UnleashX but this doesn't really worry me, I never use it anyway. Although it would be good if I could get this working too... Any ideas anybody??? :?

It seemed the problem before was with the Konig HD cable. It needs to be switched to component out to enable 5.1 digital out. If the switch is set so s-video / composite the you only get a downmixed 2.0 digital signal.

Top Bottom
Login
Register