Solved Moving the Content Folder from the Main Hard Drive

• Thread starter laukinming
  • Start date
  • Views 7,974
L

laukinming

Reaction score
Sin$
I just bought a controller-less XBOX 360 that has an RGH mod and considered doing a little tinkering on the DLC and title updates side of it.

I trawled through the Internet and found that updates and DLCs can take a lot of space. Now, for argument's sake, let's just call it the content folder.

What I want to know is, does the content folder have to stay on the XBOX360 internal drive, or can I put it on another external USB hard drive (i.e. not just a stick)?

If so, if I manually organise the content directory by copying files to their respecttve title IDs and offer IDs, how would I get FSD or Aurora to recognise the new change? Do I necessarily have to use XM360? If so, if I may be so bold, there wouldn't be any point to memorise title ID codes and so forth.

Please keep in mind that I do not plan on going online for this, as I do not have a wireless connection, nor do I have an extra Ethernet port to access my home network's Internet connection.

Thank you for considering this matter.

F

felida

Enthusiast
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
I just bought a controller-less XBOX 360 that has an RGH mod and considered doing a little tinkering on the DLC and title updates side of it.

I trawled through the Internet and found that updates and DLCs can take a lot of space. Now, for argument's sake, let's just call it the content folder.

What I want to know is, does the content folder have to stay on the XBOX360 internal drive, or can I put it on another external USB hard drive (i.e. not just a stick)?

If so, if I manually organise the content directory by copying files to their respecttve title IDs and offer IDs, how would I get FSD or Aurora to recognise the new change? Do I necessarily have to use XM360? If so, if I may be so bold, there wouldn't be any point to memorise title ID codes and so forth.

Please keep in mind that I do not plan on going online for this, as I do not have a wireless connection, nor do I have an extra Ethernet port to access my home network's Internet connection.

Thank you for considering this matter.
If the dash/kernel is 17349 or higher.. Then yes.. You can use an external hdd in fat32 format.. Up to 2TB.. There is a handful of games, mtgs5:tpp, that have actual "install" content, that require the packs actually be on internal hdd.. Aside from that.. Title updates, dlc, and God games can go on external now.

On the external, just create a "Content/0000000000000000/"
Setup, just like internal, and move your games this way. You can use aurora or fsd or xexmenu to move the games.. For aurora or fsd, you need to just redo the game locations to the external.. But your GoDs and xbla will show up in stock dash as normal

L

laukinming

Reaction score
Sin$
Is it possible to use the internal hard drive to put apps, dashboard/launcher files, and homebrew in, while moving the content and the games folder in the external hard drive?

F

felida

Enthusiast
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Is it possible to use the internal hard drive to put apps, dashboard/launcher files, and homebrew in, while moving the content and the games folder in the external hard drive?
is it possible? yes.. is it practical? no.. think about when you bog down your PC with a whole bunch of stuff.. the HDD still is limited in read/write speeds.. not to mention it can potentially mess some stuff up.. meaning moving data while writing data..
best bet is to just move what you want, and come back later.. as it can take a while, you know, 250GB or more of stuff takes a while to move. lol

L

laukinming

Reaction score
Sin$
Thanks for your reply again!

I just talked to the dealer who RGHed my XBOX 360, and he told me to consider using a laptop hard drive to replace the current one for more space.

Do you think I need this at the level I'm doing (thinking too) things?

EDIT: When you say "redo" about the content folder, do you mean to notify the change of location of the contents data at Manage Game Paths?

Last edited:
L

laukinming

Reaction score
Sin$
About the quote with the bold-faced moving word, I didn't mean at the same time.

What I meant was if each aspect of storage would take responsibility for different things. For example, the internal XBOX 360 drive would store apps, homebrew, Aurora, FSD, and XEXMenu; the external hard drive would be in-charge of storing games, XBLA, Emulators, and game-specific content.

In that respect, would the system crap out as you originally made it sound?

And oh, if I let a FAT32 formatter to fiddle with my USB external drive for use with RGH, would it still be possible to alter it using a computer? I've been dying to have this question answered. Sorry for the impatience though.

F

felida

Enthusiast
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
About the quote with the bold-faced moving word, I didn't mean at the same time.

What I meant was if each aspect of storage would take responsibility for different things. For example, the internal XBOX 360 drive would store apps, homebrew, Aurora, FSD, and XEXMenu; the external hard drive would be in-charge of storing games, XBLA, Emulators, and game-specific content.

In that respect, would the system crap out as you originally made it sound?

And oh, if I let a FAT32 formatter to fiddle with my USB external drive for use with RGH, would it still be possible to alter it using a computer? I've been dying to have this question answered. Sorry for the impatience though.
Sorry for the late reply.. But I'll answer everything..

As of dash 17349.. The xfat USB format with 32gb limit was removed.. There is no more 32gb limit.. 2TB externals work per USB slot.. You CAN use any 2.5" hdd to upgrade your internal hdd if you like..

With RGH.. You could always use a fat32 external to hold games and emulators.. Just since dash 17349 God/TU/xbla/dlc can be placed on external officially. And to answer your question about using external on pc.. Yes.. It requires nothing special.. You can use an USB 3.0 hdd.. And transfer drastically faster than ftp.

And to answer the question about your setup.. Yes you can use internal for apps.. And external for games.. Just make sure you understand maybe 5ish games have install content that require those files be on the internal hdd.. Metal gear solid 5: tpp is one of those games.. Aside from that.. 99% of the rest of games will work perfect from external

Edit:
And yes I do mean you have to reconfigure the game paths in fsd/aurora

Edit 2:
To clarify on mgs5.. The game, dlc, and tu can be on external.. The "install content" has to be on internal.. Lol..

Top Bottom
Login
Register