Modder makes a threat to Microsoft

Discussion in 'Xbox 360' started by punkskater2448, Jun 26, 2009 with 41 replies and 1,956 views.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. punkskater2448

punkskater2448 Taking Over The World Retired

Ratings:
    Not sure if any of you have read about this yet but this is pretty awesome what this guy was able to do. This is the same guy who was able to add Halo ODST to his recent games and then get the achievements to unlock.

If you are under a rock and haven't seen the Halo ODST achievement list here it is.

Halo ODST Achievements leaked and confirmed
    Halo 3 ODST Modder makes threat to Microsoft

Only yesterday one guy, a previously unknown modder known as Mattyovers had revealed to the world all obtainable achievements from the upcoming Halo3: ODST including the previously secret Vidmasters which make Recon Armor in Halo 3 obtainable for the very first time. The story hit many other news sites across the world, many branded this fake - Xboxic can reveal through direct communication that the leaked achievements are indeed real and how the modder has threatened to leak more achievements of upcoming gamesin the future.

How it all started:

In a bid to improve modding skills, Mattyovers had found a way for the first time to manipulate his Xbox 360g amer profile by adding games to his profile that he didnt own.
    [​IMG]

Before managing to obtain all Halo3 ODST achievements, he tested the ground with achievements that only Microsoft Employees were able to unlock upon the launch of the NXE Dashboard. He quoted the following:
    the last 12 hours I have been working really hard, and researching on how to update games into your xbox Live Profile with games you have never played. Basically I mean having a game in your compare games list that you have not played yet. Everything went well although I did get to some points where I just wanted to give up, but I didnt because I knew it was possible to be done. As you can see in the image it says NXE08 which is an achievement only Microsoft employees can have, it is an achievement when they released the NXE worldwide. Cool dont you think.
    How it was possible:

Because modding, hacking and manipulating your gamerprofile via any means is a violation of the rules of playing on Xbox360 - we shall not reveal the exact means, but can tell you that in order to add games to your profile, a hex editing method was used to manually add the game to the profile coding. In order to do so, as each game on the console is recognised by a series of numbers the Halo3: ODST game number was found through Xbox.com on the send link details for video files. Each Marketplace Item has the game reference number at the end of the link. By finding the played games area in hex, the coding for Halo3: ODST was added and then the profile was loaded onto the Xbox360 Console. In short this has tricked the console into thinking you own the game and then it exposed the available achievements listed for the game.

Because the listed achievements here were directly obtained from the Live server using an Xbox360 it confirms that they are indeed the real deal!
    In a response to his actions regarding the possibility of Microsoft or Bungie taking further action for being the first person in the world to leak one of the most wanted games for 2009 - he responded:

[​IMG]
    Well in my opinion I do not think Microsoft will do anything, because achievements are not copyrighted material. Not only they are only achievements so its nothing major, its not like we have the actual game. I have allready been sent a PM from a Bungie employee asking how I got them, but I just replied that it happend through a glitch.
    Not only it is not in there terms and conditions/code of conduct to have games early in your game history, so legally they cannot do anything.
    When he made the threat:

He also boasted about how he had made local news and then made the threat to reveal more leaked achievements if Microsoft or Bungie took action against him or banned him!

[​IMG]
    We also hit big over here in the UK lmao, I got on my local TV News, BBC News that is. Damn I am proud yes, but at the same time kind of worried about what Microsoft will do, seen as every website is saying We have currently reported it to Microsoft, and Bungie etc but oh well it is all good, if I get banned, I will get banned, and if I do get banned I will just leak more achievements.
    Now he plays Halo3 with Recon Armor:

Since also revealing the extra Vidmasters that unlock Recon Armor in Halo3, through manually adding the game to his profile and then manipulating it via his tools to show unlocked achievements, this has tricked his console into unlocking the Recon Armor.

[​IMG]

It is currently unknown what action Microsoft or Bungie may take against him or if they will indeed ban him from Xbox Live. Anyone posting leaked information on Bungie.net are getting website bans and Xboxic would like to take this opportunity to remind all gamers that Modding, hacking and manipulating profiles will get you banned from Xbox Live - if not now, then eventually!

2. JoeMal

JoeMal Retired Retired

Ratings:
    r***

Another +1 to the modding community....it was only a matter of time IMO

• Like Like x 3
  3. Mast3rrModder

Mast3rrModder Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Not to be a ****, but there's another post like this up.

4. Modified

Modified Getting There

Ratings:
    I know. I have seen this same story up everywhere.

5. OP
    punkskater2448

Ratings:
    so there is the same stories up about Michael Jackson passing away. Doesnt mean we cant talk and or report about it..

• Like Like x 3
  6. unknown v2

unknown v2 VIP VIP

Ratings:
    I think people are making a huge deal out of nothing. The Profile Tool by Supermodder has been doing this for a long time.

Also, I would like to say that this is the guy who told me that each LIVE file was encrypted and signed with a different key, so, yea....\

• Like Like x 5
  7. Mast3rrModder

Mast3rrModder Enthusiast

Ratings:
    I'm just saying that if I was to post this up people would say that there is no use for it since there is others. I'm just saying don't be mad.

8. unknown v2

unknown v2 VIP VIP

Ratings:
    It doesn't unlock Recon armor apparently and he's doing this through a glitch or something, not actually adding them with modifications.

9. Sfunx

Sfunx Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Isn't hex editing your profile against the TOS? He didn't quite think that out if he thinks that Microsoft can't pin him for something : \

10. Milky Way

Milky Way Enthusiast

Ratings:
  11. Distorted Hope

Distorted Hope Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Hacking community - 1
    Micro**** - 0

Yes, they are introducing the engineers finally! I have always wanted to see one of those things!

12. OP
    punkskater2448

Ratings:
    It doesnt unlock recon because what he did was hex edited it putting Halo odst's game info into the played games. Once he loaded his profile it showed odst as a recent played game and since ms has already put the odst achievements on the server it showed the achivmetns. He didnt unlock them he just put it in his played game list.

13. unknown v2

unknown v2 VIP VIP

Ratings:
    What? Xbox Live doesn't add achievements to your game. The actual game does that because it stores the achievement files in the xex. Although now that I think about it there could be a way to trick XBL into thinking you have the game without doing much.

14. OP
    punkskater2448

Ratings:
    Yeah when he added the hex value for odst to his recent played games it came up, and since all the game info was already on the server he was able to look and all the info for the game including the achievements.

15. unknown v2

unknown v2 VIP VIP

Ratings:
    Yea, the only to get them would be to read them from xbox.com and edit the names and pictures in.

16. darkFX

darkFX Member

Ratings:
    I used to play with this guy all the time ages ago.
    This is pretty gay because hes just gonna get sued for blackmail or something.

17. lx leo xl

lx leo xl Enthusiast

Ratings:
    This isn't a threat microsoft honestly cares about. When xbox linux team created the first softmods they told microsoft if they signed the linux bootloader with retail keys they wouldnt release any of the softmods they created. Since they didn't take them seriously they proceeded to release them.

18. gamebeatter

gamebeatter Premium Premium

Ratings:
    only thing is editing pictures for me

19. Killer Austin

Killer Austin Enthusiast

Ratings:
    cool im glad someone did this, and since its not against the tos i don't thin anything will be done but i understand why bungie and microsoft could be angry.

20. gamebeatter

gamebeatter Premium Premium

Ratings:
    yea it is he is tampering with his profile