• Start date
  • Views 410
L

Leetness13

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Hey guys !
I'm new to GTA and today I ran into some guys with modded accounts (10k ratio, auto headshot, etc ...). So I'd just like to know, how is it possible ?
I'm an amateur ( but quite experienced ) game developper, and I'd like to know how is this technically possible.

I guess all the users data is stored in a " master server ", which is interacting with the game servers through an API. At least that's how my game works. So maybe fake requests sent to the master server ? That's easy to counter.
Also is it that hard to find absurd values in their databases, like 10k ratio, and ban the cheaters ?
GTA is probably the most technically advanced video game ever, Rockstar has the very best devs out there, so how is this a thing ? How is it even possible ? I'm confused.

Sry for my english
Thanks

The Irish Assassin

The Irish Assassin

(Re)tired eyes from the shadows
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Hey guys !
I'm new to GTA and today I ran into some guys with modded accounts (10k ratio, auto headshot, etc ...). So I'd just like to know, how is it possible ?
I'm an amateur ( but quite experienced ) game developper, and I'd like to know how is this technically possible.

I guess all the users data is stored in a " master server ", which is interacting with the game servers through an API. At least that's how my game works. So maybe fake requests sent to the master server ? That's easy to counter.
Also is it that hard to find absurd values in their databases, like 10k ratio, and ban the cheaters ?
GTA is probably the most technically advanced video game ever, Rockstar has the very best devs out there, so how is this a thing ? How is it even possible ? I'm confused.

Sry for my english
Thanks
The how part os dependant on your platform. As for the why part, the proverbial why not applies. Most of these accounts come from rockstars greed and that's it. People don't want to pend years making a few million dollars in a game and if someone can advance that for them, for a considerably smaller price than the equivalent costs of buying sharkcards, which do not affect rank, then they are going to take advantage of it. All games have cheaters, if a user needs to use mods to actually defeat another player, then they simply have no skill at the game.

Upvote 0
L

Leetness13

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
The how part os dependant on your platform. As for the why part, the proverbial why not applies. Most of these accounts come from rockstars greed and that's it. People don't want to pend years making a few million dollars in a game and if someone can advance that for them, for a considerably smaller price than the equivalent costs of buying sharkcards, which do not affect rank, then they are going to take advantage of it. All games have cheaters, if a user needs to use mods to actually defeat another player, then they simply have no skill at the game.

Yeah I get it but thats was not my question. Of course there are cheaters in every game and it will always be like that but I'd like to have technical answers about how is this possible. Did you ever see people with level 9000 on an official world of warcraft server ? Never, it never happened, not even once.

Upvote 0
L

Leetness13

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
And by the way, when you're a skilled enough developper to work on a game like GTA, you definitely knows how to browse the internet and look for this kind of hack, so how did they never tried to do something about it ? The game is running for YEARS now :o

So I did some more research and found that post :

https://kotaku.com/meet-the-people-who-helped-turn-gta-online-into-a-cheat-1795296864

"I was initially surprised at how rampant the cheating in GTA Online is. I think every time I play I will come across a session with a cheater.

But then once you learn how the networking is done, it’s no surprise at all that cheating is so easy.

Problem is, I can’t imagine any other way to handle the networking for the type of game GTA is. All those players with all those physics-objects in such a large world with all those AI pedestrians and various gun types and vehicle types and stat tracking and item drops...Dumping all that responsibility on a single host server would be crazy."

So yeah that's more or less what I said, you can do client-side what should be server-side only, that's retarded. Maybe the game is too complex and they couldnt do it another way but still, it's retarded.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The Irish Assassin

The Irish Assassin

(Re)tired eyes from the shadows
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Consider the amount of players in the GTA V world, 95% of which are legimate players, paying £50 for the game in the first place and then add to that the possibility of each of these users purchasing one or more sharkcards. The figures are dumbfounding.
The reason they have done little to combat it is because quite simply, it does not affect them as the developer. Yes, it affects the players but does it affect them to the point of never purchasing another title by the developer? Likely not. Rockstar have made billions and more from this game, it has broken the back of any of their historic titles and continues to do so on a daily basis. If it were to get to a point where these hacks or modifications were to affect a higher percentage, like it has done in the past, rockstar do take action. i.e DNS modding and ban waves. As it stands, they do not want to do anything on a large scale as it has been deemed unnecessary for them to do so.

Upvote 0
Top Bottom
Login
Register