What's new

Mobo Shorted?

Evad

Evad

★ Liberty or Death ★
Reaction score
Sin$
So I recently built a new system, first I had bad ram where my system would constantly reboot and bsod. Swapped out the ram and now I think my mobo is gone because of all the restarting that happened when I was trying to diagnose my previous issue that ended up being my ram.

My problem now; My pc will suddenly out of no where shut off all ports, eg. monitor will shut off, keyboard mouse aswell as my power button won't let me turn it off or restart. Simply I loose all power to auxiliary ports. I can go anywhere from an hour to 6 hours+ until it shuts off no time period or doesn't matter what I am doing. Most places online say it is your psu but I just bought that ~3months ago and used it in my previous system with no worries has surge protectors etc none of the caps are raised either.
So I am wondering how to determine which part is faulty, my mobo or my psu that is causing this problem so I can sort it out.
Thanks.

Specs;
mobo: asus rog strix b350-f
ram: corsair vengeance lpx 16gb
gpu: xfx rx480 8gb
cpu: ryzen 1700x
psu: evga supernova 850 g2

Clepto

Clepto

Forum Addict
Reaction score
Sin$
If you still have another computer you could stick your PSU into that one to test if it's that or your motherboard. In my opinion it sounds a lot more like a faulty motherboard than PSU.

You could even find a friends system to test the PSU in.

All ASUS motherboards have either a 36 month or 60 month manufacturer warranty. It's really not uncommon to have a faulty motherboard right from the get go, I've built somewhere in the neighborhood of 75 custom PCs, and probably had 12 or so bad motherboards that I had to warranty.

Evad

Evad

★ Liberty or Death ★
Reaction score
Sin$
If you still have another computer you could stick your PSU into that one to test if it's that or your motherboard. In my opinion it sounds a lot more like a faulty motherboard than PSU.

You could even find a friends system to test the PSU in.

All ASUS motherboards have either a 36 month or 60 month manufacturer warranty. It's really not uncommon to have a faulty motherboard right from the get go, I've built somewhere in the neighborhood of 75 custom PCs, and probably had 12 or so bad motherboards that I had to warranty.
Thanks, how long is the turn around time for an rma usually?

Clepto

Clepto

Forum Addict
Reaction score
Sin$
Thanks, how long is the turn around time for an rma usually?

It really depends on who you go through, if you return it through the retailer (like newegg, amazon, etc) you might get different times than directly from a manufacturer. You'll probably experience longer times directly to the manufacturer. Last time I went through this process with ASUS it was about a month.

I've found newegg or amazon to be by far the best in this department. They've actually sent me another item without even returning the original before, although I can't say that's likely.

In my experience I'd say a good average is 2 weeks, but then again I've also had some things take as long as a month and a half and be a complete headache. It really depends on what company you're dealing with. Ever since a few nightmares with other places, I've pretty much solely bought everything from newegg. The longest time for me at newegg was about a week and a half.

Evad

Evad

★ Liberty or Death ★
Reaction score
Sin$
It really depends on who you go through, if you return it through the retailer (like newegg, amazon, etc) you might get different times than directly from a manufacturer. You'll probably experience longer times directly to the manufacturer. Last time I went through this process with ASUS it was about a month.

I've found newegg or amazon to be by far the best in this department. They've actually sent me another item without even returning the original before, although I can't say that's likely.

In my experience I'd say a good average is 2 weeks, but then again I've also had some things take as long as a month and a half and be a complete headache. It really depends on what company you're dealing with. Ever since a few nightmares with other places, I've pretty much solely bought everything from newegg. The longest time for me at newegg was about a week and a half.
Alright thanks, itll probably be a lot longer for myself since I moved and no longer have that store to deal with my return anymore. So i would have to go directly through asus. Might just buy a new board while it gets repaired then return it when it comes back to me.

Clepto

Clepto

Forum Addict
Reaction score
Sin$
Alright thanks, itll probably be a lot longer for myself since I moved and no longer have that store to deal with my return anymore. So i would have to go directly through asus. Might just buy a new board while it gets repaired then return it when it comes back to me.

Alright, keep in mind it can help to track the RMA shipment and when the company has it to keep bugging their customer support for an update, you catch the right person they'll push it along for you.

My business used to build custom PCs so when we had to go through this it was pretty time sensitive. Won't always help but if you do it everyday eventually someone will actually do something.

Seb x 1337

Seb x 1337

Reaction score
Sin$
So I recently built a new system, first I had bad ram where my system would constantly reboot and bsod. Swapped out the ram and now I think my mobo is gone because of all the restarting that happened when I was trying to diagnose my previous issue that ended up being my ram.

My problem now; My pc will suddenly out of no where shut off all ports, eg. monitor will shut off, keyboard mouse aswell as my power button won't let me turn it off or restart. Simply I loose all power to auxiliary ports. I can go anywhere from an hour to 6 hours+ until it shuts off no time period or doesn't matter what I am doing. Most places online say it is your psu but I just bought that ~3months ago and used it in my previous system with no worries has surge protectors etc none of the caps are raised either.
So I am wondering how to determine which part is faulty, my mobo or my psu that is causing this problem so I can sort it out.
Thanks.

Specs;
mobo: asus rog strix b350-f
ram: corsair vengeance lpx 16gb
gpu: xfx rx480 8gb
cpu: ryzen 1700x
psu: evga supernova 850 g2

Is the 1700x any good?

Evad

Evad

★ Liberty or Death ★
Reaction score
Sin$
Well I went back it to investigate it isnt a mobo problem. It is my fan controller. Didn't realize or check before but my cpu h115i will randomly just turn off my cpu fans. I think corsair link was ****ing with asus ai suite or vise versa, upon reading up on the issue these two together or any two separate fan control programs will do this. Guess I will be more careful when installing software packages. So thank god my mobo isnt the problem and hopefully the restarting didn't hurt it too bad.
We will see if removing corsair link will put an end to this problem.

Top Bottom
Login
Register