Unsolved Minecraft Server Hosts

pcfreak30

Enthusiast
Reaction score
  • You're using a free theme that's really generic and crappy compared to the industry's real competitors. If you have design issues hire someone to make something custom and suited to your company.
  • Your point in rep is invalid, you're referring to age again. My definition of a good reputation in the hosting business is based on customer reviews, personal experience, and what I can tell from your site itself. I don't see enough positive in any of those to merit your company being promoted here.
  • I didn't call you immature, however tempted I am to throw that out there about Guilty, and you saying you know what you're doing isn't really something that registers with me.
  • If you don't have your own machines in your own center, you are a reseller of some degree; I don't recall bringing that up, though.
  • Your friend has really soiled your company's name here, so don't expect to be added without me finding substantial amounts of positive info regarding your company's development in the fields I've mentioned from a trusted source.

1st the theme we have is NOT free, it is paid on wordpress. As to rep, how are you supposed to gain a reputation if you need rep to advertise. Its a chicken-egg scenario. A reseller is buying hosting services from someone else and selling as your own. In your definition mostly all the companies you have "approved" are resellers as they lease dedicated machines from datacenters. I apologize for me friends remarks but he just got pissed off.

LmfaoBen

Minecraft Guru / Cat Daddy
Reaction score
1st the theme we have is NOT free, it is paid on wordpress. As to rep, how are you supposed to gain a reputation if you need rep to advertise. Its a chicken-egg scenario. A reseller is buying hosting services from someone else and selling as your own. In your definition mostly all the companies you have "approved" are resellers as they lease dedicated machines from datacenters. I apologize for me friends remarks but he just got pissed off.
That theme is free from various sources if you look, it has a live demo that got ripped and reworked. This particular site allows no advertising per-say, but this thread is to allow members to find hosts relevant to their needs. Building your initial reputation in this market isn't something you can really do here because of the nature of the site, but if you try putting more oomph into your MCF thread and asking customers to submit reviews on various sites. Finally, again, I didn't bring up anyone being a reseller nor did I speculate that those on my list aren't. nerp

pcfreak30

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That theme is free from various sources if you look, it has a live demo that got ripped and reworked. This particular site allows no advertising per-say, but this thread is to allow members to find hosts relevant to their needs. Building your initial reputation in this market isn't something you can really do here because of the nature of the site, but if you try putting more oomph into your MCF thread and asking customers to submit reviews on various sites. Finally, again, I didn't bring up anyone being a reseller nor did I speculate that those on my list aren't. nerp
FYI that theme made be based on a free theme but was paid from the version we got.

XeStorm

Smile today, tomorrow could be worse
Reaction score
Add cloudcrafting.com they are super cheap and easy to use

TheDamned

Dr. Krieger
Reaction score
Forgive me if this is a stupid question but what exactly is the difference between Minecraft Hosting, VPS, and dedicated? Like should I favor one over the other or are they all different things?

LmfaoBen

Reaction score
Forgive me if this is a stupid question but what exactly is the difference between Minecraft Hosting, VPS, and dedicated? Like should I favor one over the other or are they all different things?
They are all very different things. Selecting which you should use depends on your needs and technical know-how. Those with little to no experience should stick with specialized Minecraft hosting, but those with experience or the ability to google can get much better deals by renting a VPS or dedicated box.

Minecraft hosting is provided by specialized companies who give you a "dumbed down" or "noob friendly" environment to manage your server, but at inflated prices. This type of hosting is best for very small servers without high expectations.

A VPS is a virtualized environment in which you are allotted a portion of a server's resources, but they can vary in quality and pricing. This is suitable for small and medium servers.

Dedicated hosting is renting your own box, or server, over which you have full control. This has the best bang-per-buck, but is generally for those with a bit of experience. If you have a large server and you're not running on a dedicated box, you're doing it wrong.

TheDamned

Dr. Krieger
Reaction score
They are all very different things. Selecting which you should use depends on your needs and technical know-how. Those with little to no experience should stick with specialized Minecraft hosting, but those with experience or the ability to google can get much better deals by renting a VPS or dedicated box.

Minecraft hosting is provided by specialized companies who give you a "dumbed down" or "noob friendly" environment to manage your server, but at inflated prices. This type of hosting is best for very small servers without high expectations.

A VPS is a virtualized environment in which you are allotted a portion of a server's resources, but they can vary in quality and pricing. This is suitable for small and medium servers.

Dedicated hosting is renting your own box, or server, over which you have full control. This has the best bang-per-buck, but is generally for those with a bit of experience. If you have a large server and you're not running on a dedicated box, you're doing it wrong.
Ahh, I am just using a small company called x-rayhosting.com but for the past month and a half, the uptime has been ****** to say the least and there is immense lag despite there being none previously when I had even MORE plugins than I currently do. When I observe resource usage the server has been crashing by the CPU skyrocketing to 100% randomly. I am considering switching as even though they said that it was caused by craftbukkit, I know of many people using the exact same build and experiencing nothing like this. I was just curious as to what I would go far. I generally don't fill the server and am on a college budget. The problem I find is with pricing and that I currently pay 24$/mo for 2Gb RAM which I am not sure how it actually affects the server. The next best price I have seen so far has been the avante hosting on your list but I just don't know enough about server lag or resource allocation to know what is causing the crashes and lag (if it is something I am doing wrong then I would have no reason to move hosts), and I can't afford a lot of the other ones. If I wanted say, a very fast server that could handle a good deal of plugins but only about 32 players, what would be my best bet? Should I stick to just regular hosting or attempt to go with dedicated?

Dimebag Darrell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't suggest DaddyCheese, from the experience I've had with them, their quality is terrible and customer support is even worse.
I would recommend BeastNode, I've been with them for about 2 months and it's been alright, definitely better than DaddyCheese.

LmfaoBen

Reaction score
Ahh, I am just using a small company called x-rayhosting.com but for the past month and a half, the uptime has been ****** to say the least and there is immense lag despite there being none previously when I had even MORE plugins than I currently do. When I observe resource usage the server has been crashing by the CPU skyrocketing to 100% randomly. I am considering switching as even though they said that it was caused by craftbukkit, I know of many people using the exact same build and experiencing nothing like this. I was just curious as to what I would go far. I generally don't fill the server and am on a college budget. The problem I find is with pricing and that I currently pay 24$/mo for 2Gb RAM which I am not sure how it actually affects the server. The next best price I have seen so far has been the avante hosting on your list but I just don't know enough about server lag or resource allocation to know what is causing the crashes and lag (if it is something I am doing wrong then I would have no reason to move hosts), and I can't afford a lot of the other ones. If I wanted say, a very fast server that could handle a good deal of plugins but only about 32 players, what would be my best bet? Should I stick to just regular hosting or attempt to go with dedicated?
Many hosts will feed you total nonsense to avoid blame; potentially, another customer doing it wrong and causing issues for everyone else. Generally speaking, having more plugins is likely to increase your RAM and CPU usage significantly. IMO, dedicated is always the way to go, but such a small server makes weighing that decision rather strange. I, personally, would wait for a special on DataShack(or somewhere similar) and put forth the bit of extra money to get a nice dedi. Expanding is almost always good, so don't be afraid to look into it.

I wouldn't suggest DaddyCheese, from the experience I've had with them, their quality is terrible and customer support is even worse.
I would recommend BeastNode, I've been with them for about 2 months and it's been alright, definitely better than DaddyCheese.
DaddyCheese has definitely had a major drop off in quality since their inception(outsourced support?), but they're still a major player in the specialized hosting market.

BeastNode was backdoored and their database dumped at one point, so I generally refrain from directly recommending them anymore. You wouldn't believe how huge the file is. :wink:

TheDamned

Dr. Krieger
Reaction score
Many hosts will feed you total nonsense to avoid blame; potentially, another customer doing it wrong and causing issues for everyone else. Generally speaking, having more plugins is likely to increase your RAM and CPU usage significantly. IMO, dedicated is always the way to go, but such a small server makes weighing that decision rather strange. I, personally, would wait for a special on DataShack(or somewhere similar) and put forth the bit of extra money to get a nice dedi. Expanding is almost always good, so don't be afraid to look into it.

DaddyCheese has definitely had a major drop off in quality since their inception(outsourced support?), but they're still a major player in the specialized hosting market.

BeastNode was backdoored and their database dumped at one point, so I generally refrain from directly recommending them anymore. You wouldn't believe how huge the file is. :wink:

Thank you very much for the advice, I will think about that. It is hard to find good places to advertise the server as 7S server section doesn't seem too popular, PMC has that god awful "one bump per 24 hour rule" and your listing is buried almost instantly, and it is difficult to find other server listers that aren't just too obscure to matter. I do plan on expanding eventually so I will likely go with a dedi like you suggested. Another question if you don't mind me asking is what exactly does unlimited bandwidth mean for a server? I see a lot of hosts say that but I haven't the slightest clue what it means.

LmfaoBen

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the advice, I will think about that. It is hard to find good places to advertise the server as 7S server section doesn't seem too popular, PMC has that god awful "one bump per 24 hour rule" and your listing is buried almost instantly, and it is difficult to find other server listers that aren't just too obscure to matter. I do plan on expanding eventually so I will likely go with a dedi like you suggested. Another question if you don't mind me asking is what exactly does unlimited bandwidth mean for a server? I see a lot of hosts say that but I haven't the slightest clue what it means.
MinecraftForum's server section and MineStatus are always viable options. Look around and put your server everywhere you can.

Unlimited bandwidth means that you are not limited at a set amount of data transference. For a server of 32 players, you should be fine with whatever the stock allocation is (20 for DataShack I believe), but if you expand, plan to upgrade, or could see trouble headed your way, upgrading to unmetered should be kept in mind.

TheDamned

Dr. Krieger
Reaction score
MinecraftForum's server section and MineStatus are always viable options. Look around and put your server everywhere you can.

Unlimited bandwidth means that you are not limited at a set amount of data transference. For a server of 32 players, you should be fine with whatever the stock allocation is (20 for DataShack I believe), but if you expand, plan to upgrade, or could see trouble headed your way, upgrading to unmetered should be kept in mind.
Thank you very much, you have been very helpful.

LmfaoBen

Reaction score
Thank you very much, you have been very helpful.
No problem.

On a side note, don't waste money on unmetered one gigabit lines; just go with unmetered one hundred megabit if you decide to go that route.

TheDamned

Dr. Krieger
Reaction score
No problem.

On a side note, don't waste money on unmetered one gigabit lines; just go with unmetered one hundred megabit if you decide to go that route.
How would I be able to tell which is which, and what is a one gigabit "line" etc?

LmfaoBen

Reaction score
How would I be able to tell which is which, and what is a one gigabit "line" etc?
When looking at unmetered plans, with my preferred selection of hosts anyway, there are separate options for 100mbit and 1gbit connections. The latter is more expensive and pointless for a small server. If there's not an option, don't sweat it.

TheDamned

Dr. Krieger
Reaction score
When looking at unmetered plans, with my preferred selection of hosts anyway, there are separate options for 100mbit and 1gbit connections. The latter is more expensive and pointless for a small server. If there's not an option, don't sweat it.
K, cool.

Str8UpWhite64

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Know anything about CubedHost? A guy I like to watch on youtube, Hypnotized, uses it and it looks like he doesnt have any lag issues. I only want about 16 slots. It said it was $16 a month for 1GB of RAM. I have no idea if that is any good.
L LmfaoBen

Top Bottom