Question Minecraft PS4 Server optimization

• Thread starter Can0dope
  • Start date
  • Views 5,211
C

Can0dope

Reaction score
Sin$
I host a 24/7 (as close as possible, anyways....) Minecraft PS4 server.

I have the best internet connection my ISP offers (150 down, 50 up, if I recall correctly). PS4 is wired w/ Ethernet cable, so are both my PCs (one hosts a PC Minecraft server, running Ubuntu Server; the other is for gaming, but rarely used for anything other than YouTube), and my Switch (which is off 99% of the time). Nothing is connected to WiFi.

Anyways, back on topic...

I've been hosting this world for almost a year now. In the past few months, my PS4 server has been crashing. Most of the time, it was fine; just boot back up and it's good to go. Lately, however, it's been corrupting my save file, which means I'm forced to load from whatever the most recent backup I have is (I try to make a backup at least every day, several times a day on my days off work).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have about 30 players that participate on the server, and would like to make it so they don't have to keep redoing the same things over and over due to crashes...

Cozz

Cozz

I post accounts from time to time.
Reaction score
Sin$
Ok, not too familiar with server hosting on Consoles, looked up some info about the topic, and if the server is hosted from your console then make sure you have enough space, if the server isn't hosted on console please inform me so I can look more into the topic.

Upvote 0
C

Can0dope

Reaction score
Sin$
Server is indeed hosted on console. I have plenty of space. Minecraft is the only app I have installed on the PS4, and it has a 500gb hdd.

Upvote 0
Cozz

Cozz

I post accounts from time to time.
Reaction score
Sin$
I've been looking all over and can't seem to find an answer, is it possible there is something in your world that keeps crashing the game or do you have friends with the same problem? If its just you, its most-likely something in the game, if you can try starting a fresh world and see how long it stays up without crashing.

Upvote 0
C

Can0dope

Reaction score
Sin$
Unfortunately, that's not really a feasible option. As I said, I have about 30 people who play on it. Some more regularly than others. In order to try a new world, I'd have to take down the one everyone plays on, and I'd rather not have to do that for more than a couple hours.

If only there were some kind of logs I could retrieve from the PS4, I might be able to identify the source of the crashes...

Upvote 0
Adolfin

Adolfin

Your Mom's Favourite VIP
VIP
Retired
Odysseus' Summit End of the Year 2018 Platinum Record
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Unfortunately, that's not really a feasible option. As I said, I have about 30 people who play on it. Some more regularly than others. In order to try a new world, I'd have to take down the one everyone plays on, and I'd rather not have to do that for more than a couple hours.

If only there were some kind of logs I could retrieve from the PS4, I might be able to identify the source of the crashes...
Getting logs from the PS4 isn't possible. Are you able to find out how many players are online at the time of it crashing? Maybe ask around the players and see if they know? You could also make the world closed so it's just you and see how long it takes for it to crash.

The problem is that the console isn't supposed to be used as a 'server' where it's hosting a world 24/7 like a server is for PC Minecraft so you're bound to have issues.

Upvote 0
C

Can0dope

Reaction score
Sin$
I've been doing some digging (both literally and figuratively) and I've found a few things that may have been contributing to the crashes, as well as mob cap issues. Somehow, there were about 50 animals all stuck in the same 1 block space; also reduced a lot of the flowing lava/water; covered hopper lines with droppers; and lit up all the caves around spawn.

I appreciate your help, and I understand that consoles are not meant to be run as servers. However, until Sony decides to allow us to have Realms, or actual servers, I'm doing everything I can to make it work.

Upvote 0
Y

yomav

Reaction score
Sin$
I host a 24/7 (as close as possible, anyways....) Minecraft PS4 server.

I have the best internet connection my ISP offers (150 down, 50 up, if I recall correctly). PS4 is wired w/ Ethernet cable, so are both my PCs (one hosts a PC Minecraft server, running Ubuntu Server; the other is for gaming, but rarely used for anything other than YouTube), and my Switch (which is off 99% of the time). Nothing is connected to WiFi.

Anyways, back on topic...

I've been hosting this world for almost a year now. In the past few months, my PS4 server has been crashing. Most of the time, it was fine; just boot back up and it's good to go. Lately, however, it's been corrupting my save file, which means I'm forced to load from whatever the most recent backup I have is (I try to make a backup at least every day, several times a day on my days off work).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated on can am ryker accessories. I have about 30 players that participate on the server, and would like to make it so they don't have to keep redoing the same things over and over due to crashes...
  1. Check for Updates: Ensure that both your PS4 and Minecraft are running the latest updates. Sometimes, crashes can be caused by outdated software.
  2. Server Resource Usage: Pay attention to your PS4's resource usage when hosting the server. If it's struggling, consider reducing the render distance, limiting the number of players, or disabling resource-intensive mods or plugins.
  3. World Corruption: If the world file is getting corrupted, it might be due to a hardware issue. Ensure that your PS4's storage is healthy. You can also try creating a new world to see if the issue persists. If it doesn't, your old world file might be too corrupted to recover.
  4. Server Logs: Check the server logs (if available) for any error messages or warnings that might indicate the cause of the crashes. This information can help you pinpoint the problem.
  5. Backup Regularly: Continue with your regular backup schedule. Backing up frequently is a good practice to minimize data loss.
  6. Consider Hosting on a PC: While hosting on a PS4 is possible, it may have limitations in terms of performance and stability. If the issues persist, consider running the server on a dedicated PC with better hardware resources. PC servers also offer more customization options and control.
  7. Server Software: If you're not already using it, consider using dedicated server software like Spigot or Paper. These server software options are optimized for performance and may be more stable.
  8. Server Mods/Plugins: If you're using mods or plugins, ensure that they are compatible with the version of Minecraft you're running. Outdated or incompatible mods/plugins can lead to crashes.
  9. Reporting to Mojang: If you suspect that the crashes are related to the PS4 version of Minecraft itself, consider reporting the issue to Mojang or the Minecraft community forums. They might be able to provide guidance or fixes.
  10. Community Support: Reach out to the Minecraft community, whether it's on forums, Reddit, or Discord. Other server admins and players may have experienced similar issues and can offer advice.

Upvote 0
Top Bottom
Login
Register