What's new

Migrating OS & Some Installed Programs to SSD

P

pLTPF

I am NOT LeafyIsHere
Reaction score
I purchased an SSD today, it's only 128GB and I have more than that used on my current hard drive. I'm wondering if I can move only be OS and some installed programs or even all if possible. I've researched this online but all I seem to find is cloning the whole drive.

A

Apollo

Houston, we have a problem.
Reaction score
I purchased an SSD today, it's only 128GB and I have more than that used on my current hard drive. I'm wondering if I can move only be OS and some installed programs or even all if possible. I've researched this online but all I seem to find is cloning the whole drive.
Use a Windows installation disk to reinstall Windows to that hard drive, and you can reinstall whatever programs you wanted to use as normal. Just remember to set the Windows 7 on the SSD as the default OS to boot.

P

pLTPF

I am NOT LeafyIsHere
Reaction score
Use a Windows installation disk to reinstall Windows to that hard drive, and you can reinstall whatever programs you wanted to use as normal. Just remember to set the Windows 7 on the SSD as the default OS to boot.
Yea that's the thing, I don't wanna reinstall anything.

J

Jaykae

B*tch please.
Reaction score
You can use acronis and backup what you like, OS, documents etc IIRC.
You can get it for free if you search Google or buy it. :biggrin:

A

Apollo

Reaction score
Yea that's the thing, I don't wanna reinstall anything.
If you're an average user you'd have to install Windows via an installation device, whether it be a DVD or a USB drive. You can't just copy the OS and its dependencies easily.

J

JoinTheResistance

Dead to the world, alive for the journey...
Reaction score
If you're an average user you'd have to install Windows via an installation device, whether it be a DVD or a USB drive. You can't just copy the OS and its dependencies easily.
Ummm... yes, you can! It literally takes no more than 20 mouse clicks. I personally use "aomei partition assistant", which is pretty much a "next, next, next, install" solution.

A

Apollo

Reaction score
Ummm... yes, you can! It literally takes no more than 20 mouse clicks. I personally use "aomei partition assistant", which is pretty much a "next, next, next, install" solution.
And you've never blue-screened during normal use? I may have to look into this. :wink:

J

JoinTheResistance

Dead to the world, alive for the journey...
Reaction score
And you've never blue-screened during normal use? I may have to look into this. :wink:
Nope! Just select the "Migrate OS to SSD" option, select source drive and then the target drive. After that, it's going to reboot your PC and load the transfer utility right before the login screen shows up, like when windows is doing a disk check.
P.S. The free version doesn't support GPT, only MBR.

A

Apollo

Reaction score
Nope! Just select the "Migrate OS to SSD" option, select source drive and then the target drive. After that, it's going to reboot your PC and load the transfer utility right before the login screen shows up, like when windows is doing a disk check.

Ah, well thanks for bumping this prehistoric thread! Here's the info you need:
I personally use "aomei partition assistant".

P pLTPF

Z

zuluclayman3

Reaction score
I love SSD's too because they give the performance like a missile as compared with external hard drives or internal ones.

Last edited:
P

pLTPF

I am NOT LeafyIsHere
Reaction score
I love SSD's too because they give the performance like a missile.
Hopefully not North Korea's missiles :tongue::hilarious: just kidding, but yea they're nice and fast

Last edited:
Top Bottom