Microsoft VGA Cable vs. Generic VGA Cable

Discussion in 'Xbox 360' started by Carson, Jul 8, 2009 with 27 replies and 2,464 views.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carson

Carson Retired Retired

Ratings:
    Why should I spend more for the Official Microsoft VGA cable? I'd like to be my usual cheap self and buy the $8 generic one. What is wrong with this one that I found?

2. HavoC RuNz MLG

HavoC RuNz MLG Enthusiast

Ratings:
    I use that same exact cables on ebay and they work fine. But you also need an audio splitter for sound.

• Like Like x 1
  3. OP
    Carson

Carson Retired Retired

Ratings:
  4. Pieceman

Pieceman VIP VIP

Ratings:
    It's the same issue as monster cables vs generic ones. They contain the same conductive innards but have cooler packaging and are highly advertised.

5. Nightcast

Nightcast Retired Retired

Ratings:
    I've had mine for a while now and no problems what so ever. I'm cheap also :biggrin:

lol I bought mine from that guy also.

6. gcnd0001

gcnd0001 Enthusiast

Ratings:
    I get all my cables for free from M$
    2 VGA
    1 S-video
    3 transfer kits

Waiting on other stuff

7. OP
    Carson

Carson Retired Retired

Ratings:
  8. JoeMal

JoeMal Retired Retired

Ratings:
    Yeah Carson, a cable is a cable there's really no point spending the extra money....

9. Psycho Homer

Psycho Homer Retired Retired

Ratings:
    Tell that to an audio or video phile and they would rage lol. But if you think all video looks the same and all audio sounds the same then there really is no reason to get a more expensive cable.

10. vvSTRIDEvv

vvSTRIDEvv Retired Retired

Ratings:
    Damn..I wish I knew there was an aternative..I sprung for the M$ one for like $30bucks...and I still needed an audio splitter, into a headphone amp, which was another $50bucks.....I'm too compulsive..

11. Pieceman

Pieceman VIP VIP

Ratings:
    There's no difference man. A VGA cable is a VGA cable. If you want to get suckered into spending $30+ on a more expensive cable, I'll be laughing as the respective company pockets the extra cash.

12. Psycho Homer

Ratings:
    If you think all cables and connectors are all the same material and quality I will be laughing.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Pieceman

Pieceman VIP VIP

Ratings:
    They are not all made out of the same material but if you can justify spending the extra $$$ I will be laughing at your stupidity.. And if you claim you can actually tell the difference, I'll call you a liar.

14. Saiyan

Saiyan Member

Ratings:
    [​IMG]

15. Pieceman

Pieceman VIP VIP

Ratings:
    Come up with an actual response rather than an overused and tired picture and we'll get an argument going. Until then, plz save your ctrl+v fingers.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Psycho Homer

Ratings:
    Psycho Homer’s Cabling Class 101
    [​IMG]
    Hello Students!
    You may address me as Psycho Homer, Psycho or even Homer. Today I am going to explore the wonderful world of cabling with you here today. More specifically we will discuss the elements that affect the performance and quality of cables. Now let’s start off with the basics!
    Section 1

What are cables?

What are cables you may ask? Cables are a series of two or more wires that are conjoined, twisted and sleeved. Cables have many available applications. They are not just limited to the electronics field. But none of that is important right now. Here we are to focus on the electronical aspects of cables.

In electronics cables are used to carry electrical current. This current delivers the data to your applications. These applications may include but are now limited to audio, video, power and many other resources.

What are cables made of?

Cables are made of all types of materials. At the core of the cables are the conductors. Conductors are made of all sorts of metal and other types of material such as plastic, glass, and Teflon. The conductor can either be stranded or solid. How about we take a dive into the various specifications and uses of metal!

First we will discuss the cable measurement system. In the United States we use the AWG system, or the American wire gauge. The AWG was founded in 1857 for predominant use in the USA. The ratings go from 0000 all the way to 50! The smaller the number the bigger the wire! Many cables use the 24 AWG size in small electronics! How about we take a dive into the various specifications and uses of metal!?

At the core of most common cables you will find metal! There are all kinds of metals used but here we will cover the basics. The most basic conductor material you will find is Copper! Copper can be found in applications such as Ethernet, coaxial, USB, ribbon cables and much more. Bare copper wire is the most basic you will find. Using 24 AWG let’s look at some specifications for copper. Per 1000ft of copper you will find an internal resistance of 26.17 ohms. Ohms are units of resistance. The resistance in wires causes degradation of the quality of the signal. The ampacity (current carrying ability) of copper wire is .577 amps.

Let’s compare this to another commonly used metal. Silver. Per 1000ft of silver you have a resistance of 25.908 ohms. And due the lack of resources on the internet I have to stop here. Surprisingly I cannot find any AWG tables for materials other than copper on the internet. I wish I still had my book. You probably didn’t read all of this anyway.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Nubble

Nubble Getting There

Ratings:
    Wall o' text...

I got lost in it, but I found my way out, and actually learned something!

18. Pieceman

Pieceman VIP VIP

Ratings:
    I am aware of what cables are and are made of. I work with audio cables (but more specifically, video lines) on a daily basis down to the level of constructing conduits. You won't impress me by listing out definitions of what cables are used for or even what they are made of. I have been trained and have practical knowledge of their inner workings. And BTW if it means anything to you, I read your entire post.

Maybe you should re-read mine and come up with a response if you like. Just to remind you, this thread is about generic VGA cables compared to xbox 360 brand cables. Continue please.

19. Psycho Homer

Ratings:
    Since you seemed to have enough "knowledge" to knock down my ability to hear or see any differences I figured I wouls stat my process from the beginning. But then it ended near the middle since the internet failed me.

20. FOX no johns

FOX no johns Getting There

Ratings: