Dismiss Notice
A Message from Viotek
At Viotek, we’re gamers at heart. That’s why we’re extremely excited to be teaming up with Se7enSins, a gaming community created by gamers, for gamers. Their focus? Bringing high-quality content and discussion to the industry. That’s exactly how we feel about our monitors and gaming peripherals. From making high-performing curving monitors more affordable, to breaking all rules with color-rich TN panels. In the coming weeks, we’ll be working with Se7enSins to deliver branded content, promotions and contests to their diverse, tight-knit community. For us, it’s more than a game. It’s life. Save $20 on your next purchase using the link below. Valid through May 31st. https://amzn.to/2Hxxxyx

Mechnical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware & Builds' started by Calamity, Dec 8, 2012 with 9 replies and 2,497 views.

1. Calamity

Calamity Script Kitty Retired

Ratings:
    Anyone else a fan of mechanical keyboards? I own two currently, probably will try out more over time.

Razer Black Widow Ultimate
    Blue switches, loud and clicky, love it. The LEDs are nice, although I didn't buy one for work for that specific reason (and I wanted to try something else). One of my keys doesn't light up, but not big deal, I love how it feels when I'm typing.
    [​IMG]

Das Keyboard Ultimate
    Also blue switches. I enjoy the blank keys. I bought it for work (software developing), and it pisses everyone off due to the noise (which can be fun). The only thing I notice, which is very minor, is that the switches seem to slightly squeak when I press them.
    [​IMG]

2. Feyfolken

Feyfolken     VIP Retired

Ratings:
    I'm using an HP mechanical keyboard, it feels awesome to type. I agree with you though, the noise it makes is the best part. I woke up my dad the other night from typing, and our rooms are across the whole house lol.

3. InfectHead

InfectHead Strip the flesh, salt the wound!

Ratings:
    I've never used one however I definitely want to purchase a mechanical keyboard (preferably brown switches, they're the quiet ones AFAIK). It's just a little too expensive for me right now :tongue:

Why would you want a noisy KB? Mine right now doesn't make much noise although I would much prefer something near-silent.

4. OP
    Calamity

Ratings:
    It's the feedback that it gives. Of course, the big part of a mechanical keyboard is the part of the click. The BlackWidow was the first one I bought (was oblivious to switch types), but it had blue switches. I tried brown switches on a guys keyboard at work, and it just wasn't as clicky as the blue ones that I'm used to.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Habofro

Habofro PC Enthusiast Retired

Ratings:
    Whats the difference between a mechanical keyboard and the other keyboard? Exept the clicky sound.

• Like Like x 1
  6. OP
    Calamity

Ratings:
    Mechanical vs membrane
    Das mechanical keyboard guide

Most keyboards that are made are membrane. Mechanical are individual switches for each key, which costs more to make. The clicky sound is an actual click you feel as well, letting you know exactly when you've hit the key. Just do a search for the differences if you want more detail.

• Like Like x 1
  7. noitareneG

noitareneG Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Glossy keyboards, disgusting.

CM Quickfire Pro w/ Browns here.

8. modz4bud

modz4bud Enthusiast

Ratings:
    I have a wireless membrane keyboard and it's a piece of ****. I bought it mainly just so I can control netflix from my bed, so it's not really an issue because I don't type with it. The one thing that disappoints me though is that the way it's designed, it's very comfortable, but it's cheap and a few keys don't work. Forgot which one it was, but it's an Eclipz something or another.

As for my main keyboards on all of my computers, I like to keep it simple:

[​IMG]

:biggrin:

Just your average, wired, $7 Dell keyboard. Works like a charm, super comfortable, not a single one has failed me yet.

9. ViBe VeNoM

ViBe VeNoM Enthusiast

Ratings:
    I have the Das Professional Silent (Brown Switches) and I fell in love. I love the feel of the mechanical switches and just the sound of the switch clicking is so satisfying.

10. Yams

Yams Enthusiast

Ratings:
    I'm using the k90. Pretty sweet. Volume wheel is a must. Makes life so much easier.