What's new

Solved Maximus sd tool not asking to format when hooked up.

• Thread starter adroitful
  • Start date
  • Views 3,546
A

adroitful

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Am I missing something? My soldering is almost perfect. But whenever I plug in the maximus sd tool, windows never tells me the drive needs to be formatted to use. Soldering is almost perfect. I will take a picture and show you guys. I've jumped the E$2 point on the sd tool. I've ran a wire from the crystal to pin 15 on the pin headers. The drive even shows under my computer as drive F: but, j-runner says failed to get disk geometry whenever I try to read it. I have power going to the board, but not powered on the xbox. I've ordered the same cheap sd reader I see everyone using and even tried to use the one in my laptop. I've even ordered a 2nd sd tool thinking that was the issue. It's always the same thing. I'm almost 100% certain the pin headers are making good contact as i've been soldering for many years and even checked them under a jewelers loop. Is there a point on the board I need to jump or maybe a trick to get this working properly in Windows 10 that I don't know about?

Edit: I've tried the qsb and yet another computer with a completely different card reader.. It's still doing the same thing. It starts to pop up under my computer and then just dissapears. Any ideas?
o5AycnL.jpg

Here is the drive displaying under my computer as drive F: as well as what jrunner shows. I'm almost positive this is a Windows problem and not a soldering problem.. Something with Windows 10 preventing it from working right. Tried multiple image sites and images aren't working. Here is a link:
https://ibb.co/fsgXEd

Nevermind.. I tried plugging a regular sdcard from my wii into this usb card reader and it doesn't work either. I'm pretty sure I got a defective card reader.. guess it'll be another week or so before I get this xbox rghd lol. It's weird neither of my internal card readers will pick it up either though. They don't even try unlike this usb reader. Anyone happen to know what pin headers this maximus sdtool uses? Would like to order a couple hundred. Screwed these up hitting them with the heat gun to desolder them and put the qsb in
fsgXEd

fsgXEd

Last edited:
rynax

rynax

Enthusiast
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
I'd say it could be your soldering problem.

Too many pins/connections just made it easy to go wrong.

Here's a cleaner way:
'I've ran a wire from the crystal to pin 15 on the pin headers.'
Don't run from the crystal to Pin 15, try run from the crystal to GND on AV port/Network port.
That motherboard looks like Corona V4.
Other than grounding the Crystal pad,
For Corona V2/V4, you only need to connect those pads from the nand reading pads on the motherboard
1, 2, 3, 16
to the corresponding pins on the SD Card RW tool/SD Card Reader.
Also connect the GND pin on the SD Card RW Tool/SD Card Reader to the GND on AV port/Network port.

Then connect the console power supply to the motherboard, plug in the sd card reader to the computer.
Or the other order, connect the sd card reader to the computer, then connect the power supply to the motherboard.

This always work for me.

Also learn to use direct links from imagebb, not view links

AWTalklol

AWTalklol

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I would suggest not using windows 10 as it causes many issues with rghing in my opinion, I use windows 7 personally and have not ran into this issue, I've tried with windows 10 and got this exact error before, has something to do with the device config.

A

adroitful

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
It's plenty good enough. Checked for continuity to all of the pins and made sure there were no bridges. That's not the issue. Issue was a card reader.

A

adroitful

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
As far as I can tell. The card reader they sent me wouldn't read regular sd cards even. I'm sure it will be fixed when the new card reader comes in

Top Bottom
Login
Register