TheDivineZombie

TheDivineZombie

▲▽▲▽▲▽▲▽▲
Greeter Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Max Level: 20*
Max Level with Light: ??

*It is possible to go past 20 with the use of Motes of Light in your gear.
Screen-Shot-2014-07-31-at-12.10.58-PM-620x355.png

(Notice the light stat is 118 and their character is upgraded to level 29.)

Motes of Light VS Light Explained:
Thanks to Spyro Spyro !

Motes of Light(Item) -
Q:What is it?
A: Once you hit level 20, every time you fill the xp bar, you get a Mote of Light instead of a level.

Q: What does it do?
A: Lets you purchase legendary/exotic items from vendors.

Q: Why do I want it?
A: Better gear has better stats (eg. Light) and better abilities.

Light(Stat) -
Q:What is it?
A: A stat (like intellect or strength) you get from armor.

Q: What does it do?
A: Increases your level for as long as you have the items equipped. It takes a few points in light to gain each level.

Q: Why do I want it?
A: Part of he calculations for damage is the enemy level minus your level.
Eg. If the enemy is a level higher than you, you'll do 30% less damage, if they're three levels higher, you'll do 50% less damage (numbers are approximate).​

Confirmed Information:

• Level 20 will be reachable in "only a few hours".
• Gear with "light" lets you exceed past level 20.

Unknown Information:
• Max level using light

Let me know what else I should add to this thread by posting the info and source below.

I want to have a central location for anyone to find information on the leveling system.
EDIT: Added new information & sources.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Below are my original opinions and theories from the BETA:

Max Level 20:​
I still think it is too short to get max level. A few hours for the busiest of people is still quick. I understand that they don't want you grinding for a month to get max level, but maybe at least 15-20hrs ingame time. Level 20 seems like such a small number when you think about other games like Call of Duty, Battlefield, and Halo. I understand that Destiny is a game of it's own and doesn't need to compete with those games, but it seems that level 20 will take out the enjoyment of leveling. If you're going to be fighting fallen for new weapons and gear anyways... Might as well get some levels too.​

Max Level ?? (20+):​
For all we know, level 20 could be the max level on Earth. Bungie has said that there are the rest of the planets in the solar system to explore. This gave me the idea that maybe the highest level area on Earth is level 20. It could be possible that the next planet that is unlocked in the story could be level 20-30 areas. Also, Bungie could increase the level cap each new DLC/expansion too. I am pretty sure level 20 will be the max level initially and possibly forever.​
However, games like World of Warcraft, the best part of the game is at max level/endgame. Being max level makes you mostly evenly matched against everyone else, but you get an edge by finding new weapons and gear. This game model has had millions of players coming back for many years.
It seems that Bungie is going for this style but with their own twists of course.​

General Questions:
Do you agree the max level will be 20?
What level do you think will be max?
Should max level take longer to achieve?
Will Bungie increase the max level over time?​

Last edited:
Justin

Justin

#mmNation
End of the Year 2012 End of the Year 2014 Mythical Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Well, no, the moon is in the same category as planets in the solar system, and those missions start at 6.

Southy

Southy

Have a Nice Day! :)
Forum Addict Mr. Nice Guy Hardened Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
1. Yes, for awhile. The items/Armour at the vendors at highest level were level 20.
2. I think it will be level 20 until a expansion is released.
3.If it is fairly low, I see why not.
4. Answered that in point 2.

Sobriquet

Sobriquet

Banned
Retired
Bright Idea End of the Year 2014 Hardened Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
I heard it was more focused on loot than levels, but 20 is a little low IMO.

Kard

Kard

Kaley Cuoco <3
Reaction score
Sin$
If there is only 20 levels, I hope they add some kind of prestige mode, Just we can earn a new badge.

Maybe they only showed lvl 20 stuff because that was the highest rank for the BETA? We just need to wait and see!

Parohdox

Parohdox

I Love the Illuminati
Reaction score
Sin$
Looked over on r/destinythegame last night and apparently when you hit level 20 you start leveling up your "light rating." I tried to look into it but was completely confused lol

OMG Terrorize

OMG Terrorize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Maybe it will be like Borderlands with DLC..

Hopefully.
Seriously level 20...

P

PSNElimination

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Looked over on r/destinythegame last night and apparently when you hit level 20 you start leveling up your "light rating." I tried to look into it but was completely confused lol

Motes of Light. They basically allow you to go passed 20, but only if you have it equipped. And you don't have to use it for leveling up, it's a form of currency as well so you can buy gear & other items.
Of7j55y.png

idlehands88

idlehands88

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
Ya level 20 is the max, once you reach it you start gaining Light Level (either by Armor or Mote of Light). Bungie wants you to gain loot and make your character badass, so the Level cap is 20, but you can boost your level past 20 by gaining Light Levels. They increase your stats, but don't actually change your level. All end game items are Level 20 to equip, but each item has a different Light Level increase on it. If you look at the Legendaries or Exotic Armor, you will see that they have a Light Level value on them, these help make your Guardian stronger without forcing you to level to a high level to equip it.

I like this idea better, because I have always hated grinding my levels in games. This makes it easy to get to the max level and gives me/you more time to get better gear :biggrin:

TheDeathFlows

TheDeathFlows

Contributor
Reaction score
Sin$
I was hoping for like lvl 80 or 100 so I can grind for days :smile:

Parohdox

Parohdox

I Love the Illuminati
Reaction score
Sin$
Motes of Light. They basically allow you to go passed 20, but only if you have it equipped. And you don't have to use it for leveling up, it's a form of currency as well so you can buy gear & other items.
Thank You for clearing that up. Seems like a simple concept now. Idk what i was looking at last night.

idlehands88

idlehands88

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
I was hoping for like lvl 80 or 100 so I can grind for days :smile:

Store all your items you get in your vault once you reach level 20, delete the character and make a new one to level it back to 20, repeat a few more times and you are now level 80 or 100 in your mind :smile: But seriously we don't know exactly how the leveling will work. You can still grind your level past 20, but you get Motes of Light instead of a level up. So you could keep grinding XP...?

TheDeathFlows

TheDeathFlows

Contributor
Reaction score
Sin$
Store all your items you get in your vault once you reach level 20, delete the character and make a new one to level it back to 20, repeat a few more times and you are now level 80 or 100 in your mind :smile: But seriously we don't know exactly how the leveling will work. You can still grind your level past 20, but you get Motes of Light instead of a level up. So you could keep grinding XP...?
I just dont see lvl 20 to be jack **** lol at least lvl 50 max lvl because macing out all 3 characters wont take long

P

PSNElimination

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I just dont see lvl 20 to be jack **** lol at least lvl 50 max lvl because macing out all 3 characters wont take long

The max isn't 20. Basically I guess you can decide your level. Stay at 20 or get motes of light & go past 20.

itsNotecards

itsNotecards

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
It's not 20. There is a mission that you have to be rank 24 to unlock it.

Cakes

Cakes

お前はもう死んでいる
VIP
Retired
Mythical Veteran Platinum Record End of the Year 2017
Reaction score
Sin$
Well, it could always be increased if they felt the need for it. But the way they have it set up, it seems rather decent. Just because you're max level, doesn't mean the game is going to be easy. The enemies themselves are definitely going to be hard to kill even if you're max level with powerful weapons. The way I look at it, if there are weapons that do 400+ damage, I can only imagine how much health future boss level enemies are going to have. Imagine having to kill that Devil Walker when he's level 20.

ForeverLoading

ForeverLoading

Contributor
Reaction score
Sin$
It's not 20. There is a mission that you have to be rank 24 to unlock it.
Are you sure that's unlock level? There's always the possibility of being stuck at level 20 while fighting enemies beyond that level.

Top Bottom
Login
Register