Making a Java-Based Map Editor

Discussion in 'Halo 2' started by Flaming Zephyr, Jan 11, 2009 with 3 replies and 418 views.

1. Flaming Zephyr

Flaming Zephyr Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Hello, i was just wondering if someone could explain the process for making a map editor. Like how to get the tags, and stuff like that. Since there is no Halo 2 Modding App, i am going to try to make one, that way it won't matter what system you're running, you can use the map editor. So, if someone could tell me how to pull the information, I would be greatly thankful.

2. GoldBl4d3

GoldBl4d3 Retired Retired

Ratings:
    well, we couldnt just tell you. But basically, you have read values from the map. And to find those values. You have to go from the tags offset plus a certain amount. Look in the C# programming section for source codes. Look for one called "Loading Map Tags v3".

You must read the header(basic offsets), index offsets(position translation information), then tags(names=catagory)

A tag is set up like this.

Tag Struct:

Tag/Name[4 bytes],
    (int32)ID[4 dates],
    (int32)MetaOffset - secondary magic[4 bytes]
    (int32)MetaSize[4 bytes]

but its alittle more complicated.

3. mod man

mod man Enthusiast

Ratings:
    um im pretty sure you gotta include a tag-reader for every tag. and alot more.

good luck :smile: make it better than the bsp viewers what are out now.

4. GoldBl4d3

GoldBl4d3 Retired Retired

Ratings:
    someone whos never made one mod program isnt going to make a bsp viewer for a long time