Show Off Made some more stuff

jack

jack

七転び八起き
Administrator
Scaling the Mountain Mythical Veteran MotM
Reaction score
Sin$
Hey guys, I made a lot of this stuff yesterday when I didn't have internet. Be honest with your critiquing as I need it to get better at this stuff. I did have a lot of fun doing it, though, and despite all the mistakes I made, I still think this turned out pretty well.

Hr46WO1.jpg

So, a little bit of background here, I rendered this myself as I didn't have internet so I couldn't go online to find a render. It was the first render I did and I did not use the lasso tool or any other typical methods to render. I used the eraser and the brush tools all around the image, pixel by pixel and there's a lot of spots I messed up on but I thought it was well worth the hours I put in. I know now that there are better ways to do this, but I still appreciate the things I learned from doing this. My hand's steadiness improved a bit, and I was able to see how one pixel can make a difference in the outcome of whatever I may be working on. Here is the original image:

wYpyJ3N.jpg

There were actually a lot of things in this picture that didn't make sense: part of the handle is an impossible shape and her hair looked weird as I was rendering it. I also removed some of the debris in the bottom right of the image and redrew that part of her leg. To be honest, I think I did a pretty bad job as I can see where I messed up and how I could have done better, but I'm still learning and once I get better at this, I can shape up my render to better reflect the original image.

I also made some signatures to further promote me and Swifty's thread.

omUEc5q.png

KZKYDbP.png

I messed up Ashe's hand in the first one and I could have added more because it looks like there's a bit too much empty space but overall, I think it turned out okay. The second one may have too many gradients, I wanted to make it look like the blade was making her lower half glow but I don't know if I accomplished that, I think it looks a bit weird and I may go back and remove it.

So anyways, that's what I did last night. Let me know what you guys think! I definitely feel like I'm improving a little, and this is so much fun to work on.
Knowledge Knowledge G God SneakiestKent xVitalz xVitalz

G

God

VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
f*** that looks good. Especially if you're new at this. Highly recommend giving SoTFN a shot.

Knowledge

Knowledge

<3
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
If you ever need to render something use the pen tool. Makes things sooo much quicker and easier if you are wanting to work non-destructively. Google some tuts on rendering and give them a watch. TBH you've done a decent job with rendering it out.

The first piece's focal seems to be a bit off, might just be me, as I'm more drawn to look at the hand and leg rather than the face and surrounding area. It's a good piece but it does look a bit unfinished and empty, almost like it's missing some effects you can add in there to give some more depth. Also the lighting needs some work but that's to be expected when you're starting out :wink:

The sigs are a bit empty and you should avoid a center focal point. Stick to the Rule of thirds and try to add in some more effects into the BG and maybe some in the FG. The 2nd is the better of the 2 IMO but that's due to it looking higher quality than the 1st.

Download some new fonts too and have a play around with some typography :wink:

High quality render if you wanted it :tongue:
PROJECT-Fiora-Render-League-of-Legends.png

jack

jack

七転び八起き
Administrator
Reaction score
Sin$
If you ever need to render something use the pen tool. Makes things sooo much quicker and easier if you are wanting to work non-destructively. Google some tuts on rendering and give them a watch. TBH you've done a decent job with rendering it out.

The first piece's focal seems to be a bit off, might just be me, as I'm more drawn to look at the hand and leg rather than the face and surrounding area. It's a good piece but it does look a bit unfinished and empty, almost like it's missing some effects you can add in there to give some more depth. Also the lighting needs some work but that's to be expected when you're starting out :wink:

The sigs are a bit empty and you should avoid a center focal point. Stick to the Rule of thirds and try to add in some more effects into the BG and maybe some in the FG. The 2nd is the better of the 2 IMO but that's due to it looking higher quality than the 1st.

Download some new fonts too and have a play around with some typography :wink:

High quality render if you wanted it :tongue:
PROJECT-Fiora-Render-League-of-Legends.png
Thank you for your brutal honesty, this is exactly what I need. Truthfully, I have no idea what I was going for in any of these. I'm mostly just experimenting, and with each new piece I will try to use a different tool or mess with more settings to see what it is that I can do. Maybe I will take God's suggestion to try out SotFN as it may give me something to focus on instead of just being random. I think with the first piece, I gave it a dreamy looking background because of this smudge tool setting I was using that I thought was the coolest thing ever, and after that I wanted to make it look like she was running through something as indicated by her stance. I felt like it would be awkward to make it look like she was doing anything else as she is definitely in a running or dashing pose. It's by no means done and I still plan to work on it a lot more but I was tired and I wanted to say that I finished it :tongue:.

The first sig was really just to see if I could remember the basics without the use of a guide, and I think it turned out better than the very first one that I made the other day. It definitely has more going on the BG/FG than the first one but the colors didn't turn out as well. The second one was rushed, like I said I just wanted to go to bed after I finished my makeshift rendering.

Again, thanks for your criticism and feedback! I'll take your suggestions to heart and make sure I implement them in the next piece that I try out. Are there any guides that talk about focus points and adding effects to the BG and FG?

**** that looks good. Especially if you're new at this. Highly recommend giving SoTFN a shot.
Thanks! I might try it out once there's a theme I feel confident about, and definitely after I get better at this. But thank you for the feedback!

Knowledge

Knowledge

<3
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Thank you for your brutal honesty, this is exactly what I need. Truthfully, I have no idea what I was going for in any of these. I'm mostly just experimenting, and with each new piece I will try to use a different tool or mess with more settings to see what it is that I can do. Maybe I will take God's suggestion to try out SotFN as it may give me something to focus on instead of just being random. I think with the first piece, I gave it a dreamy looking background because of this smudge tool setting I was using that I thought was the coolest thing ever, and after that I wanted to make it look like she was running through something as indicated by her stance. I felt like it would be awkward to make it look like she was doing anything else as she is definitely in a running or dashing pose. It's by no means done and I still plan to work on it a lot more but I was tired and I wanted to say that I finished it :tongue:.

The first sig was really just to see if I could remember the basics without the use of a guide, and I think it turned out better than the very first one that I made the other day. It definitely has more going on the BG/FG than the first one but the colors didn't turn out as well. The second one was rushed, like I said I just wanted to go to bed after I finished my makeshift rendering.

Again, thanks for your criticism and feedback! I'll take your suggestions to heart and make sure I implement them in the next piece that I try out. Are there any guides that talk about focus points and adding effects to the BG and FG?

Thanks! I might try it out once there's a theme I feel confident about, and definitely after I get better at this. But thank you for the feedback!
Easy way to look at it is this.
x0rd8JE.png

Red and green = BG
Blue= Focal point
Yellow (I know it's hard to see but they are in front of the render) = Bad example of a FG

Hopefully this makes sense...

Knowledge

Knowledge

<3
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
I'm putting this in a second comment so you can see it if you reply before me :tongue: jack jack this is a better example of BG, FG & Focal. Also, entering SotFN will be a good thing to to because you will need to make a signature for something that might be out of your comfort zone. Pushing you to try new things.
PI1GEAO.png

Red = BG
Cyan = Focal
Blue = FG

jack

jack

七転び八起き
Administrator
Reaction score
Sin$
This is a great example, I think. I can very clearly see the different layers and areas of the image and it looks like each different element in the picture flows together and compliments each other.

I'll try to use this one as a reference because it definitely gives me some ideas.

Knowledge

Knowledge

<3
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
xVitalz

xVitalz

Keep Dreamin'
Hardened Veteran Mr. Nice Guy Fabled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
The second one is definitely the nicer of the 2. However both suffer from some serious monotone(singular color), but as a someone who is new it's tough to add colors in there and keep it looking clean, I would say I still struggle with it. I would have to agree with Knowledge and say that you need to add more in the layers above the render to create a foregound. Text can use work but as it functions to promote your thread, I'd say it functions well. Although the words "Champion's Guide" are a bit harder to see than the others.

Going back to the first sig real quick, I would say it suffers from the floating render syndrome in that it looks like your render is just floating randomly and has no place in the signature ad the way to avoid that would be to have some foreground that covers that underboob area and somewhat of the boob area.

jack

jack

七転び八起き
Administrator
Reaction score
Sin$
The second one is definitely the nicer of the 2. However both suffer from some serious monotone(singular color), but as a someone who is new it's tough to add colors in there and keep it looking clean, I would say I still struggle with it. I would have to agree with Knowledge and say that you need to add more in the layers above the render to create a foregound. Text can use work but as it functions to promote your thread, I'd say it functions well. Although the words "Champion's Guide" are a bit harder to see than the others.

Going back to the first sig real quick, I would say it suffers from the floating render syndrome in that it looks like your render is just floating randomly and has no place in the signature ad the way to avoid that would be to have some foreground that covers that underboob area and somewhat of the boob area.
First off, thanks for your feedback! Great constructive feedback and it tells me exactly what I'll need to improve on. I will say that I only watched a tutorial on placing the render and smudging the background, and messing with gradients. Obviously, there is always something to be learning and it looks like my next tutorial will be on foreground, background and getting rid of empty space. I also didn't know "floating render syndrome" was a thing, the tutorial I watched seemed to suggest it would look cool if I blurred that part out but maybe not.

Thank you again, I'll definitely keep your criticisms in mind and make sure that the next time I share something here, everything you guys mentioned will be improved on.

Knowledge

Knowledge

<3
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
First off, thanks for your feedback! Great constructive feedback and it tells me exactly what I'll need to improve on. I will say that I only watched a tutorial on placing the render and smudging the background, and messing with gradients. Obviously, there is always something to be learning and it looks like my next tutorial will be on foreground, background and getting rid of empty space. I also didn't know "floating render syndrome" was a thing, the tutorial I watched seemed to suggest it would look cool if I blurred that part out but maybe not.

Thank you again, I'll definitely keep your criticisms in mind and make sure that the next time I share something here, everything you guys mentioned will be improved on.
What tutorial did you watch?

G

Griff FX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I absolutely love the Large Pieces, Great work!
Signatures like superb, but I would work on the text more.

Top Bottom
Login
Register