What's new

C/C++ Looking to learn C++ with no experience. Is it a good idea?

Adrianne

Adrianne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
This is an argument with 2 sides. Some might say yes and some might say no. I just want to know, how many in here learned C++ as their first language? People say that once you learn C++, you will understand every other language, or learn it quickly. I'm willing to read a lot of books, and I am also very commited to learning how to code. I want to make iPhone apps, tweaks, and also mod menus for fun. Right now, I go on learningcpp.com. I don't know if it is a good website to learn, but I have learned quite a few. I have also been watching videos on YouTube, which helped me learn. Do you guys think this is a good idea?

ImOx

ImOx

(^._.^)ノ
Retired
Programmer MotM Platinum Record
Reaction score
Sin$
If you want to learn, learn.
Pretty simple.
And starting with C++ is just fine I guess.
I started with C++, moved more to C# pretty quickly tho.

Adrianne

Adrianne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
If you want to learn, learn.
Pretty simple.
And starting with C++ is just fine I guess.
I started with C++, moved more to C# pretty quickly tho.

How long did it take you to learn c++?

Adrianne

Adrianne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I didn't learn C++ to an advanced stage.
Only pretty much the basics.
And I don't remember how long it took me.

Thanks for the reply. I'll try to learn the basics just like you. :smile:

Adrianne

Adrianne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Start off with the basics at least.
If you think you'll need the language more in the future, definitely learn more.

If I learn the basics, will it be enough to make mod menus and stuff?

A

Auschwitz Guard

Banned
Reaction score
Sin$
If I learn the basics, will it be enough to make mod menus and stuff?

By solely writing your own system and so forth? No, a menu system uses classes, structures, stack & more, those are more into the advanced side of the language, but if you mean just to mess with a released menu base, then I guess it depends on how basic your understanding is. Do you know a method of learning that you prefer? Do you like reading text, Watching videos or having a personal teacher? If you don't know I advise you try all three (or at least the first two) and see what method you prefer. I know off a really good text-only tutorial (there are quizzes too) but for a Video tutorial, you'll have to search the Internet :tongue:

Adrianne

Adrianne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
By solely writing your own system and so forth? No, a menu system uses classes, structures, stack & more, those are more into the advanced side of the language, but if you mean just to mess with a released menu base, then I guess it depends on how basic your understanding is. Do you know a method of learning that you prefer? Do you like reading text, Watching videos or having a personal teacher? If you don't know I advise you try all three (or at least the first two) and see what method you prefer. I know off a really good text-only tutorial (there are quizzes too) but for a Video tutorial, you'll have to search the Internet :tongue:

I tend to learn from videos rather than reading. As of now, I am experimenting on videos, and reading a bunch of tutorial, but so far I am finding it easier to watch videos. I thought mod menus where simple :/ Looks like i'll have to be patient here. Thanks for the reply!

ShawnUnderSe7en

ShawnUnderSe7en

just as passerby
Fabled Veteran 10th Anniversary Forum Addict
Reaction score
Sin$
C++ isn't that hard to learn (it's the language i'm learning in college at the moment). Not that far into it, but things are fairly understandable and straight forwards. If you plan on learning a language like java (which I was trying to over the summer) c++ isn't that helpful. Kinda have to through quite a few things out the window as output commands and such are totally different for both. I do have a few projects that were given to me that are really basic if you'd like to check them out and practice when you begin to learn the language.

Monopolyman

Monopolyman

PC Gamer and Tech Enthusiast
Retired
Mr. Nice Guy Tutorial Creator Jokester
Reaction score
Sin$
C++ isn't that hard to learn (it's the language i'm learning in college at the moment). Not that far into it, but things are fairly understandable and straight forwards. If you plan on learning a language like java (which I was trying to over the summer) c++ isn't that helpful. Kinda have to through quite a few things out the window as output commands and such are totally different for both. I do have a few projects that were given to me that are really basic if you'd like to check them out and practice when you begin to learn the language.
I'd say c++ is one of the harder languages to fully comprehend (compared to higher level languages like c#). I think the hardest part is fully wrapping your head around memory addresses (so stuff like pointers, dereference operators, address operators, etc.), especially when used with other advanced techniques. However, once you learn c++, other OOP languages probably come easier to learn. That being said, if you know you want to just specialize in one language, it's probably better to just stick with that.

For resources, I recommend http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/. It's not the prettiest site, but I followed their tutorials and learned a good amount just from them. Also, just general advice, when you're starting out it's best to find one resource that you like and stick with it. Jumping between multiple resources can result in missed concepts and confusion.

Jamdoogen

Jamdoogen

Let's turn forever, you and me
Reaction score
Sin$
This is an argument with 2 sides. Some might say yes and some might say no. I just want to know, how many in here learned C++ as their first language? People say that once you learn C++, you will understand every other language, or learn it quickly. I'm willing to read a lot of books, and I am also very commited to learning how to code. I want to make iPhone apps, tweaks, and also mod menus for fun. Right now, I go on learningcpp.com. I don't know if it is a good website to learn, but I have learned quite a few. I have also been watching videos on YouTube, which helped me learn. Do you guys think this is a good idea?
I'm also watching someone of YouTube to help me code in c++. Quite enjoying it.

Worthiest Willy

Worthiest Willy

Cool stuff
Reaction score
Sin$
if your interested in writing iphone apps youll need to learn objective -c and swift.....which are completely different than c++ and c#.....ud need to be a pretty good object orinetated programmer

Jamdoogen

Jamdoogen

Let's turn forever, you and me
Reaction score
Sin$
I made a tutorial based off a YouTube playlist all coded in C++, I can send you the project later on if you want :smile:

Dark TwizTid

Dark TwizTid

1 + 0 = 10
Seasoned Veteran Grammar Nazi Grizzled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Java is horrid for a first-timer wanting to learn a programming language.
C++ is easy if you keep sticking with it and trying out examples.
To each their own, but it really depends on what he eventually wants to do. I learned Java, and am now learning C and C#. I will be doing C++ eventually, but in my program it won't be this semester.

It is very valuable to know both C++ and Java though if you plan on pursuing a career in CS. :smile:

stepto

stepto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
To each their own, but it really depends on what he eventually wants to do. I learned Java, and am now learning C and C#. I will be doing C++ eventually, but in my program it won't be this semester.

It is very valuable to know both C++ and Java though if you plan on pursuing a career in CS. :smile:
A lot of the jobs in IT around my area use ASP.NET and C# :/
I don't like .NET :frown:

Top Bottom
Login
Register