Question Looking to downgrade and jailbreak, but first, a few questions

• Thread starter yum114
  • Start date
  • Views 8,270
Y

yum114

Reaction score
Sin$
I've been doing some research and am interested in downgrading but I have a few questions that I would like answers to if possible.
I will be purchasing the E3 flasher for nor chips, so these questions are in regarding me flashing with that specific system
1. Everything that I've read, has pointed to it being possible, but I would like to make sure that it is. My model number is CECH-2501B (currently on FW 4.50) will it be possible to downgrade, then jailbreak my device?

2. What is the best custom firmware to install?

3. If I downgrade, jailbreak, and install a custom firmware will I be able to play newer games like Grand Theft Auto 5(and those that come out later)?

4. Will I be able to play games online without being banned(like Grand Theft Auto 5)

5. Once I've flashed, downgraded, and installed a CFW(which one I'm unsure), will I be able to save the games that I currently have(like GTA V) to the hard drive and play them without the disk? Also, if I'm playing from the hard drive, will I be able to play online, or will I need to put the disk back in in order to play online?

5. I've read different things concerning multiple systems. If I purchase the E3 flasher, will I be able to flash as many systems as I like, or can I only flash one system?
5b. Do I need to do anything different in order to set the E3 flasher up to flash more than one system?

6. I take it, in order to dual boot, I'd need 2 separate hard drives correct?
6b. If I decide to install the dual boot, will I later be able to take it apart, use the E3 flasher to flash another PS3, then put it back together on my system again to get my dual boot back?

7. Im watching this video
youtube.com/watch?v=7oYsZzXf0wo
everyone has different ways of doing the downgrade and installation, but this seems as though it will work just right.
At 16:20 in the video it talks about cutting electricity and taking out and putting back in power cord, do I really cut the electricity or just turn off the ps3 completely?
Also, it talks about a dongle, do I really need a dongle, or will any usb stick with the CFW on it work? I will NOT be using the CFW he uses in the video, but instead I will use Habib 4.46 v1.03a Cobra CFW(I believe it to be the best?)

8. I'm trying to find the best place to purchase the E3 flasher, I keep hearing about aliexpress.com, and this seller has a good rating. What do you think?
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-...7-3-72-downgrade-to-3/977150725.html#feedback

8b. The list description at the link above says downgrades 3.7 and 3.72
This will still work to downgrade my 4.5 OFW console though, right?

These are all of the questions that I have at the moment. If I have any more, I will be sure to add them.
Thank you in advance to everyone who answers

Chips 98

Chips 98

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
I've been doing some research and am interested in downgrading but I have a few questions that I would like answers to if possible.
I will be purchasing the E3 flasher for nor chips, so these questions are in regarding me flashing with that specific system
1. Everything that I've read, has pointed to it being possible, but I would like to make sure that it is. My model number is CECH-2501B (currently on FW 4.50) will it be possible to downgrade, then jailbreak my device?

2. What is the best custom firmware to install?

3. If I downgrade, jailbreak, and install a custom firmware will I be able to play newer games like Grand Theft Auto 5(and those that come out later)?

4. Will I be able to play games online without being banned(like Grand Theft Auto 5)

5. Once I've flashed, downgraded, and installed a CFW(which one I'm unsure), will I be able to save the games that I currently have(like GTA V) to the hard drive and play them without the disk? Also, if I'm playing from the hard drive, will I be able to play online, or will I need to put the disk back in in order to play online?

5. I've read different things concerning multiple systems. If I purchase the E3 flasher, will I be able to flash as many systems as I like, or can I only flash one system?
5b. Do I need to do anything different in order to set the E3 flasher up to flash more than one system?

6. I take it, in order to dual boot, I'd need 2 separate hard drives correct?
6b. If I decide to install the dual boot, will I later be able to take it apart, use the E3 flasher to flash another PS3, then put it back together on my system again to get my dual boot back?

7. Im watching this video
youtube.com/watch?v=7oYsZzXf0wo
everyone has different ways of doing the downgrade and installation, but this seems as though it will work just right.
At 16:20 in the video it talks about cutting electricity and taking out and putting back in power cord, do I really cut the electricity or just turn off the ps3 completely?
Also, it talks about a dongle, do I really need a dongle, or will any usb stick with the CFW on it work? I will NOT be using the CFW he uses in the video, but instead I will use Habib 4.46 v1.03a Cobra CFW(I believe it to be the best?)

8. I'm trying to find the best place to purchase the E3 flasher, I keep hearing about aliexpress.com, and this seller has a good rating. What do you think?
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-...7-3-72-downgrade-to-3/977150725.html#feedback

8b. The list description at the link above says downgrades 3.7 and 3.72
This will still work to downgrade my 4.5 OFW console though, right?

These are all of the questions that I have at the moment. If I have any more, I will be sure to add them.
Thank you in advance to everyone who answers
1: yes and no. if the ps3 has been on 3.55 in the past then yes you are able to downgrade and mod. check here if you havnt already http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/SKU_Models match things like release date, hard drive the ps3 came with, and so on.
2: I happen to like rogeros cfw. keep in mind when you get cfw for a downgraded ps3 you need to have cfw that has patched LV1 Core Os Hash Checks to prevent bricking on a non dehashed downgraded console
3: seeing as there is 4.50 cfw yes you can play new games that require newer firmware to play
4: with certain cfws you can play online but it is highly recomended not to do so as you can get console/profile banned for it
5: you can remove the flasher as soon as your done with it :smile: unless you use the flasher to dual boot the console, then you cant remove it unless you want to get rid of the dual boot.
5b: nope. all you really need is the e3 flasher and it doesnt even have to be the limited edition can be just standard edition :smile:
6: i want to assume yes to be on the safe side but i cant say for sure as i havnt looked too much into the dual booting
6b: again not sure about this one. i assume you could do so but not 100% positive on this one.
7: in the video he cuts the power after he had wrote the patched flash to allow downgrading. i dont really know why you would do so but i would cut the power after writing the nor flash to take the time to removed the flasher if you would like. i say that cuz at the point after you write the nor you no longer need to e3 in the console. as for the usb he uses its not just a normal flash drive. its a fsm dongle (factory service mode) that sets the ps3 into factory service mode. you do not need this dongle but if you do happen to need it for w/e reason you can use a modded psp as a fsm dongle using the app ps3 jig
8: that site has an awesome price but i bought mine from ebay. so not sure about that site.
8b: yes you can downgrade from 4.53 (latest ofw) if you wanted to but just make sure that the ps3 has been on 3.55 in the past to be sure you can mod the console :smile:
hope that any of this helps you out if you need help or anything more ill be glade to help :smile:

Y

yum114

Reaction score
Sin$
Thank you so much for your help.
I've posted this thread on 3 seperate websites, and each response, has given me a little extra info on each one.
I didn't know that I needed a special patched cfw for my PS3. No one has mentioned it. Thankyou so much for that, as it could have possibly made a difference between bricking, and not bricking my console.

Y

yum114

Reaction score
Sin$
So I, would need a different CFW than most? Or, would i be be dehasing my system using most guides(not having to worry about it)? How do i figure out if the guide I use will dehash my system, so that I don't need to have a patched CFW?

Another question, How would I go about playing online?
Once I've downgraded(to 3.55) then jailbroken, then upgraded to a 4.5 CFW, how would I go about playing a game online without getting banned?
Do I just install a 4.5 OFW directly over the CFW? will that kill the jailbreak and allow me to play online without any issues? If so, how do I go back? Will I need to hook up the E3 again and then flash, downgrade, jailbreak, then upgrade to a 4.5 CFW again? Or is there an easier way to go between the jailbroke cfw and non jailbroke OFW without the dual boot( I heard dual boot requires soldering which I would like to stay away from)

Chips 98

Chips 98

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
So I, would need a different CFW than most? Or, would i be be dehasing my system using most guides(not having to worry about it)? How do i figure out if the guide I use will dehash my system, so that I don't need to have a patched CFW?

Another question, How would I go about playing online?
Once I've downgraded(to 3.55) then jailbroken, then upgraded to a 4.5 CFW, how would I go about playing a game online without getting banned?
Do I just install a 4.5 OFW directly over the CFW? will that kill the jailbreak and allow me to play online without any issues? If so, how do I go back? Will I need to hook up the E3 again and then flash, downgrade, jailbreak, then upgrade to a 4.5 CFW again? Or is there an easier way to go between the jailbroke cfw and non jailbroke OFW without the dual boot( I heard dual boot requires soldering which I would like to stay away from)

to be honest im not sure about dehashing the system or w/e all i know is that the cfw needs to be safe for the downgraded console lol.
if you dont want to get console banned i recommend not ever going online with cfw lol you can install ofw over the cfw to go online but idk if that will get you banned but its better than going online with cfw. and yea if you install ofw again you will need to use the e3 flasher to downgrade again

B

blaike

Reaction score
Sin$
im new to ps3 modding so if you have an e3 installed and downgrade and remove it will you need it again to go to different CFW's or once it have been put on a CFW it stays that way unless putting it on a OFW like say it has habib 4.66 spoofed with 4.76 does it need the e3 installed again to put it to 3.55 then to 4.78 or since its already modded can it just go to 4.78

Pianist Prodigy

Pianist Prodigy

Retired
Retired
Legendary Veteran MotM Contest Sponsor
Reaction score
Sin$
im new to ps3 modding so if you have an e3 installed and downgrade and remove it will you need it again to go to different CFW's or once it have been put on a CFW it stays that way unless putting it on a OFW like say it has habib 4.66 spoofed with 4.76 does it need the e3 installed again to put it to 3.55 then to 4.78 or since its already modded can it just go to 4.78
No you won't need it again unless you update to Sony 4.78 OFW then yes you need it again to get the Jailbreak back. Once it's on 3.55 OFW you can install whatever CFW you want such as Rebug 4.78 but once you install any firmware that is on the latest update like for example at the moment 4.78 is the latest firmware and you don't need a spoofer only if you below the latest firmware for example let's say you on 4.76 then yes you need a spoof for 4.78

Top Bottom
Login
Register