What's new

Looking to create a Forum with a simular look to se7ensins.

Norb

Norb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Hey guys, I'm looking to create a forum that my school could use. Its a small school with only 75 kids registered and its actually pretty chill there.

Alright, so basically I'm graduating this year and would like to create a forum that would have fairly cool graphics like se7ensins here and a very clean layout. If anyone could assist me in making such a thing it would be greatly appreciated. (I'd like to point out that i have owned one websight for fun)

I'm sure theres a tut just direct me if you know a good one thanks!

Ned

Ned

AzzidReign
VIP
Retired
Mythical Veteran Beginning of An Odyssey Scaling the Mountain
Reaction score
Sin$
Do you have a incense for any forum software?
And why be like 7s? Be creative and do your own thing man.

Norb

Norb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
just got the trial for Xenforo, and when i quoted se7ensins, I was referencing to how smooth and sleek it felt compared to other forums

Cosmic Owl

Cosmic Owl

Determination!
Content Team
VIP
MotM Stickied Journalist
Reaction score
Sin$
I hope you have money, or are extremely skilled. Though you should make your own thing, not copy Se7enSins.

Norb

Norb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
would you recomend any free software or free hosting for now that i could play around with for the time being? Also thanks for the reply's guys I'll do my best to make it unique, haha.

Cosmic Owl

Cosmic Owl

Determination!
Content Team
VIP
MotM Stickied Journalist
Reaction score
Sin$
would you recomend any free software or free hosting for now that i could play around with for the time being?
I don't think anyone does free website hosting (at least, not very reliable hosting that's free), but with some searching, you can easily fine some free website templates to play around with. Though if you're going for a custom look, you'll need to pay someone for it, code it yourself, or pay for furm software etc. Such is life.

Norb

Norb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Also the name of the school is (Outreach) haha, any good names come to mind before i buy a domain name?

Aaron

Aaron

I'm Batman
VIP
Retired
Nevar gon' happen in your lifetime MotM Mythical Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
would you recomend any free software or free hosting for now that i could play around with for the time being? Also thanks for the reply's guys I'll do my best to make it unique, haha.

x10 is fairly good for free hosting, or 000webhost; it has a great control panel.
As for software, there is always MyBB. That is the only one that I have personally used so I can't really comment much on any other free software out there.

Cosmic Owl

Cosmic Owl

Determination!
Content Team
VIP
MotM Stickied Journalist
Reaction score
Sin$
x10 is fairly good for free hosting, or 000webhost; it has a great control panel.
As for software, there is always MyBB. That is the only one that I have personally used so I can't really comment much on any other free software out there.
There's also wordpress, though I don't like it very much.

Cosmic Owl

Cosmic Owl

Determination!
Content Team
VIP
MotM Stickied Journalist
Reaction score
Sin$
Isn't WordPress used in more of a blog style site?
Yeah, which is why I'm not a big fan of it. You can probably make a forum out of it, but it'd be annoying. It's not bad if you just want to play around with something. Drupal is a good choice, though.

Aaron

Aaron

I'm Batman
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Yeah, which is why I'm not a big fan of it. You can probably make a forum out of it, but it'd be annoying. It's not bad if you just want to play around with something. Drupal is a good choice, though.

Yeah, me ROHLY and Cakes attempted to make a forum a while ago; it flopped. But, we tried WordPress for the front page of the forum, it didn't go to well. But, I am sure it could look alright if you knew what you were doing.
I have never heard of Drupal, I will have to check that out sometime.

Cosmic Owl

Cosmic Owl

Determination!
Content Team
VIP
MotM Stickied Journalist
Reaction score
Sin$
Yeah, me ROHLY and Cakes attempted to make a forum a while ago; it flopped. But, we tried WordPress for the front page of the forum, it didn't go to well. But, I am sure it could look alright if you knew what you were doing.
I have never heard of Drupal, I will have to check that out sometime.
The main problem with WordPress is its lack of flexibility. You can make a decent looking site, but it's hard to change certain aspects of it.

Norb

Norb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Anyone want to skype and teamviewer me for a few minutes? Just till i get the hang of things.

Norb

Norb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I got Drupal, and 000webhost going as well as mybb. Thanks so so far guys very helpful starting pointers.

Ned

Ned

AzzidReign
VIP
Retired
Mythical Veteran Beginning of An Odyssey Scaling the Mountain
Reaction score
Sin$
You can get free trials of xF and IPB for like 3 days.

Aaron

Aaron

I'm Batman
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
The main problem with WordPress is its lack of flexibility. You can make a decent looking site, but it's hard to change certain aspects of it.

Yeah, it is okay if you are just getting to grips with things. Ideally, coding your own homepage would be the best option. But, I am aware that that is difficult if you don't know what you're dong.

Norb Norb If you need help setting it up, I can help, but that is about as far as I can go.

Lea

Lea

VIP
VIP
End of the Year 2013 Bright Idea Jokester
Reaction score
Sin$
mybb

Z61

Z61

Some times our saints are sinners
Retired
Programmer Forum Addict Odysseus' Summit
Reaction score
Sin$
You can combine the databases or the forum and wordpress. I forget what it's called.

OP, I suggest you use myBB and get a frontpage plugin.

Top Bottom
Login
Register