*Looking for some tips to buying my 2nd Gen. iPod Touch*

Discussion in 'Apple iOS' started by ii CoRrUpT xX, Feb 9, 2009 with 27 replies and 1,215 views.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ii CoRrUpT xX

ii CoRrUpT xX Contributor

Ratings:
    Hey guys. I havn't really noticed a guide for buying a new iTouch on this site. There should be though :smile:.

I am looking to buy an iPod Touch 2nd Generation. I really don't know that much about them. I want some buying tips, and some things I should be aware of. I plan on probably jailbreaking it (even though I really havn't even checked up on what it does for you or what it means because I'm procrastinating until I actually get one I guess :tongue:). I didn't know a 8 GB was like $230 lol that's kind of pricey (expected a 16 GB or something to be that price, maybe even less).

I'd also like a few questions answered along with some other tips :biggrin:.

-What is the best one to get (8 GB, 16 GB, 36 GB)? (If I am planning on not really having too much music on it, but IDK how much other stuff and I can't really predict what I will put on).
    -What is the best case for price, and is it neccesary?
    -Is it better to go with a refurbished?
    -What apps should I be looking foward to?

I would really appreciate any help. If you have an iPod Touch (2nd gen. preferrably) of your own, just tell me about it. I appreciate any and all help and tips. I will give you thanks if you help me out.

I am looking foward to getting some tips. Thanks in advance!

2. Eazy B

Eazy B Getting There

Ratings:
    Currently the jailbreak for 2nd Generation Ipod Touch is in development stages and there is only a beta release( with a lot of limitations, such as no rebooting the ipod). Id go refurbished, because it is all new parts but essentially cheaper. Of course, currently I've only came across refurbished first generations. Case and apps im unsure, as mine hasnt arrived yet.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Forgoten Dynasty

Forgoten Dynasty Free Sosa #bangbang Premium

Ratings:
    Its kind of impossible to make a guide on buying an ipod since its come as is.

mostly if you dont plan on having to much music i would say you should go for the 8 gig.

The apps are usually rather small. Basically unless your going to be putting movies/videos on it you should be good. however if your planning on having a couple movies on it maybe 1-2K songs and are going to be putting alot of apps (mostly cracked since their the largest) then i would go for a 16

I have a 32 and my life basically revolves around my ipod. i have 100's of videos ~20 min each around 4 k songs and about 7 pages of apps and i have about 3 gigs left

Just remember when you but an 8 gig the actual firmware takes up space so your looking at about 6.7 gigs
    where as on a 16 your looking about around 15
    and on a 32 you will have 29
    actual gigs that you can put stuff on

Apple doesnt allow you do to alot of things IE putting themes on your ipod running apps in the background ect ect) so when you jailbreak you get an app (called cydia or installer) where you can download things that will allow you to do those normal things

I would highly suggest a case and a screen protector (dont have time to go shoping for you but i would suggest any rubber case)

im going to have to say it will be real hard to find a refurb 2nd gen but if you can go for it.

Apps: (jailbreak)
    Open SSH
    GPSiphone
    MX tube
    installous
    backgrounder
    catagories
    Respring
    BossPreffs

Themes: (jailbreak)
    iGlassSol
    Five icon dock
    reflective dock
    Make it mine

Games:frown:free)
    Tap tap
    bubble wrap

games: (cracked)
    touch gride
    spore
    crash bandicoot
    Super monkey ball

Apps(cracked)
    BeejiveIM

Dont listen to him. The jailbreak is perfectly fine. Its just theather meaning that you cant turn your ipod completely off (if you do you need to connect it to your computer to turn on) but no one ever does that anyway if you just tap the sleep button on top that doesnt count as turning it off it will still work fine after that

• Like Like x 1
  4. GooBacks

GooBacks Retired Retired

Ratings:
    Well I have a 1st gen 16GB touch.
    I personally think 16GB is enough, cause currently I have 1283 songs, and 3 full movies, some photos, 1GB of apps, and 500MB of themes and misc. stuff. and I still have 5.37GB left.
    I decided to get the 1st gen because of the fact that I could jailbreak it immediately, I love having themes and "payed for" apps :wink:
    So think to yourself, do you want to be able to restart your ipod and it will still be jailbroken or do you want the volume button and speaker?
    As for a case, I have 2, I have a Griffin Leather case that resides on my belt, and then I have a hard plastic case from SwitchEasy, I switch depending on where I'm going.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Eazy B

Eazy B Getting There

Ratings:
    I wrote it from the perspective of an unaware person.
    Try this to see where im coming from : Find a group a prospective Ipod touch buyers/jailbreakers, and say that if you jailbreak it you wont be able to turn it off. See how many go for it.

Thats like having to resoftmod your xbox every time you turn it on.

• Like Like x 2
  6. OP
    ii CoRrUpT xX

Ratings:
    Thanks for the few in depth replies. IDK, isn't the 2nd gen. way better? The speaker seems cool, not amazing, but cool. I'm not really sure what the point in restarting the iPod would be?

I do plan on having many apps. Maybe a couple videos, and under 1000 songs possibly.

I do want to get the paid for apps, except for free.

What are the differences between the 1st gen and 2nd gen? I want to spend least amount of money, but I don't like being the one with the old stuff when there is new stuff if you know what I mean. I don't want to have a 1st gen. and my friends have a 2nd gen. and they I will be jealous of the cool features which I don't have.

I do want to save money as well.

Is there any refurbished 2nd gens? I don't see any online.

7. Eazy B

Eazy B Getting There

Ratings:
    Like I said, refurbished second gens are a bit rare.... essentially second gens have volume buttons and a speaker. There is also supposed to be an internal bluetooth chip, but it isnt wired for what many people would like, something about that nike app is all i remember.
    Refurbished 16gb first gen = 219
    you might be able to ebay a cheaper second gen but id be a bit careful

• Like Like x 1
  8. Haxalot88

Haxalot88 VIP VIP

Ratings:
    There isn't too huge a difference between the generations of Ipod Touches. Like I own a first gen 16gb, and a friend has a second gen 8gb. I liked the external speaker, but it does sound a bit weak, and doesn't product audio quality of a good nature, and is rather limited to like a group of friends at school playing music on it.
    Personally I would get an 8gb. I have a 16gb, have around 900 songs on it which is pretty much the only 900 songs I really like, around 20 apps, and no movies, and I haven't even nuked 6gb yet.
    Movies aren't a real beauty to play on the itouch. I like the screen size and everything, but it wastes power like no other, mainly because of the processor decoding it via software (unlike the other methods found in other ipods), and the big backlight.

• Like Like x 1
  9. OP
    ii CoRrUpT xX

Ratings:
    What if I have 100 apps. Do they take up a lot of memory? I plan on getting a lot of awesome ones soooo...

10. Haxalot88

Haxalot88 VIP VIP

Ratings:
    average app size is like 1-2mb. I have like one 5mb app, and then one 8mb app, the rest of them are around 1mb with a majority being under 1mb.

• Like Like x 1
  11. OP
    ii CoRrUpT xX

Ratings:
    I'd really like a refurbished version. But then again IDK quite yet what I am going to get, and now I am thinking about a 1st gen.

I thought there was more to it then just a volume button and speakers on a 2nd gen...

I'm not sure yet. :huh:

12. Forgoten Dynasty

Ratings:
    Apps take up minimum space like i use to have 9 pages of apps (the maximum) and i only hit about 700 MB
    free ones average around 3-5 mbs
    paid elaborate ones such as super monkey ball are up their.
    (you can bypass 9 pages by jailbreaking and putting apps in to folders giving you virtualy endless apps i have about 12 pages and its all put in to catagories so that i dont even have more then 1 page)

I'd say go 2nd gen it cost a little more but you will be happy as far as "not being able to turn yoru ipod off" you can you just cant turn it on untill you plug it in to yoru computer and simply run a file. People also say you "loose" your jailbreak when you turn it off. In no way to you ever loose anything when you turn your ipod all the way off again you plug it in to your computer and run 1 file.

the xbox softmod example was amazingly bad its more like if you only had 1 eathernet cord in your house and you need to plug it in to your xbox to turn it on. Its not a huge hassle but seriously how often to you turn your ipod completely off? when the battery dies?

the 2nd gen feels 1000x times better in your hand and the volume adjustment is amazing (considering i can barely use the one on the screen) the speakers arnt the greatest but if you just in your room or something its fine.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Eazy B

Eazy B Getting There

Ratings:
    replace ethernet cord with power cord.
    Regardless, the point is reduced functionality. I wouldnt want to pay 200+ for something that i can never actually turn off after customizing it. And if you had to plug an ethernet cord into your xbox to turn it on everytime, that would be annoying, unless you had your xbox on ALL the time. And Im no expert on the subject, but leaving a battery on for such long amounts of time does not sound like a way to preserve its life.

• Like Like x 1
  14. OP
    ii CoRrUpT xX

Ratings:
    Well I don't think it would be THAT bad to plug it into your computer each time to turn it on, but there will be a final version (jailbreak) in the future this way you don't have to do that right?

But that can't be so good for it right? Leaving it on all the time?

15. Eazy B

Eazy B Getting There

Ratings:
    Well thats the unsure part. They are currently trying to find a way to make it a final version, but theres no guarantee. The 2nd gen jailbreak was discovered by accident while they were working on the new iphone if i remember right.

• Like Like x 1
  16. heytheree

heytheree Enthusiast

Ratings:
    The speaker on the 2nd Generation is pretty quite. You really should get a refurb 1st Generation or a new one on eBay or something. I don't like cases for them because they're normally small and thin but most make it feel chunky.

• Like Like x 1
  17. OP
    ii CoRrUpT xX

Ratings:
    Why do you say a first gen. if I may ask?

18. Forgoten Dynasty

Ratings:
    Your clearly not an expert on the subject because it actually is better for the battery to consistently have it running that way the batter is use to working. If you never use your entire battery up then the part of the battery that is never used begins to die off. you should let your battery die out atleast once a month. However not more then 3 because that will have the opposite effect

No it wasnt done by accident its kind of hard to jailbreak an ipod by accident when you try to unlock an iphone. While they where unlocking the iphone they thought it would be a good idea to try a simular method on the ipod touch and with minor modifications to the code they where able to bypass the sig checks and load modified firmware.

• Like Like x 1
  19. OP
    ii CoRrUpT xX

Ratings:
    So wouldn't your battery die out more than 3 times a month than with it being always on?

20. Eazy B

Eazy B Getting There

Ratings:
    You should note that the reason the ipod jailbreaks were found after the iphone jailbreaks, because they use a very similar system. Instead of being so literal, i meant accidental in the sense they were working on the new iphone when they found something and applied it to the ipod touch. And like it was said, always having it on sounds like a good way to have it run down more than 3 times a month. So please take your FAQ knowledge and learn a little respect before you go being a smart ***.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.