• Thread starter HeadShotKilla9x
  • Start date
  • Views 380
HeadShotKilla9x

HeadShotKilla9x

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I've been thinking about building my own PC for the first time recently just waiting to get a job to get the money first. Right now the biggest thing I'm thinking about is what OS I'm going to put on it: Lunix only, Windows only, or dual-boot. Lunix only is my prefered choice because I'd like to use it to learn more about software and everything that comes with it. However the main reason I'm building this computer is for gaming. I've Heard most PC games don't run on Lunix so it concerns me and am looking for advise. Also if you say go Lunix which type of Lunix do you recommend.

Thanks Very Much In Advance!!!!

Operating System
  1. Linux
Z61

Z61

Some times our saints are sinners
Retired
Programmer Forum Addict Odysseus' Summit
Reaction score
Sin$
Just dual-boot. It's the best of both worlds. Also, I use Ubuntu, but I'd like to get into using Debian again.

HeadShotKilla9x

HeadShotKilla9x

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Just dual-boot. It's the best of both worlds. Also, I use Ubuntu, but I'd like to get into using Debian again.
Yea I plan on getting a 1 terabyte Hardrive or SSD so without a storage problem will I need to look out for any other problems with dual booting. Also the most popular Lunix OS I've seen so far is Arch or Goodo (or something that sounds similar). Just looking for the best OS for gaming & torrenting files pretty much

PCMasterRace

PCMasterRace

Glorious
Legendary Veteran Fabled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Yeah Arch is best for learning if you're new. It's the best linux distro I've found for getting your hands dirty but not too much to the point where you have to compile everything and sort out dependencies. It also has a great community and plenty of tutorials.

If you really want something amazing, then go with gentoo. If you're all anal about getting the best of your machine, it's your best bet although it's not at all for beginners.

I've found having Windows there is always a good option for when you need it or run into a problem and brick your linux build. I was never a fan of dual booting but that's just me, I have my old piece of crap running Arch and it boots faster and is a lot cleaner than my PC rig.

HeadShotKilla9x

HeadShotKilla9x

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Yeah Arch is best for learning if you're new. It's the best linux distro I've found for getting your hands dirty but not too much to the point where you have to compile everything and sort out dependencies. It also has a great community and plenty of tutorials.

If you really want something amazing, then go with gentoo. If you're all anal about getting the best of your machine, it's your best bet although it's not at all for beginners.

I've found having Windows there is always a good option for when you need it or run into a problem and brick your linux build. I was never a fan of dual booting but that's just me, I have my old piece of crap running Arch and it boots faster and is a lot cleaner than my PC rig.
What would be a problem I can run into with dual booting?

HeadShotKilla9x

HeadShotKilla9x

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Well you could always mess up your bootloader if you're playing around with your system, no real problem. I just prefer having dedicated machines.
I've got a really s***y laptop but that's all I can afford as far as a secondary PC I'm not even buying a monitor imma just hook it up to my tv and have a wireless keyboard & mouse

PCMasterRace

PCMasterRace

Glorious
Legendary Veteran Fabled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
I've got a really s***y laptop but that's all I can afford as far as a secondary PC I'm not even buying a monitor imma just hook it up to my tv and have a wireless keyboard & mouse
Yeah that's what I did. Like having Windows 7 on my old laptop just didn't work, it would take at least 5 minutes to get everything booted and functional, with Arch on it now, it boots in less that 30 seconds and can do everything I'd want to do with a Linux system.

HeadShotKilla9x

HeadShotKilla9x

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Yeah that's what I did. Like having Windows 7 on my old laptop just didn't work, it would take at least 5 minutes to get everything booted and functional, with Arch on it now, it boots in less that 30 seconds and can do everything I'd want to do with a Linux system.
That's sweet dude I'm a junior in high school and am figuring I should shell out the money now for a pretty high end computer while I don't have any financial responsibilities that way I'm set when I get in college.

Top Bottom
Login
Register