Discussion Live resigning?

• Thread starter ma37icws
  • Start date
  • Views 402
M

ma37icws

Getting There
Reaction score
Basically Im asking why cant we resign live files atm?, is it because it has some sort of super encryption, or is there another reason, Im just wondering :smile:

J

Josef Stalin

Retired
Retired
Reaction score
I don't think you can resign files that big I'm not sure just guessing.

M

ma37icws

Getting There
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Can someone confirm this?

D

Dwack

Now employed at Dominoes!
Reaction score
They are signed by MS.

Also if this has anything to do with a JTAG, FreeBOOT disables the LIVE/PIRS signature check.

L

Lord Zedd

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
LIVE/PIRS require a *key* provided by Microsoft which only they have access to for example if a dev wants it signed they send it to MS.

Without the *key* resigning is impossible and a brute force would take literally forever.

In the case of CON files the *key* is stored in the keyvault since they are created and signed locally by the console.

M

ma37icws

Getting There
Reaction score
LIVE/PIRS require a *key* provided by Microsoft which only they have access to for example if a dev wants it signed they send it to MS.

Without the *key* resigning is impossible and a brute force would take literally forever.

In the case of CON files the *key* is stored in the keyvault since they are created and signed locally by the console.

Is forever a few weeks or literally forever (years).

Someone should take up a job at microsoft and leak the key :wink:

A

Alle

Your Boy
Reaction score
Is forever a few weeks or literally forever (years).

Someone should take up a job at microsoft and leak the key :wink:
I'm pretty sure only one person at MS has access to the key. And it would take years. Since there's 2 ^ 2048 different algorithms it could be

M

ma37icws

Getting There
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure only one person at MS has access to the key. And it would two years. Since there's 2 ^ 2048 different algorithms it could be

Damn :frown:

N

nielsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone worked it out once and it would take like a few thousand years to bruteforce if pc's were 100 times faster.

L

Lewie4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone worked it out once and it would take like a few thousand years to bruteforce if pc's were 100 times faster.

No one has worked it out...

The Live files are signed with a RSA key if im not mistaken

The RSA Key has two parts. A public Key and a private key. To get either one of these you need the other one and as we don't have either one we cannot get the other one

Top Bottom