What's new

Solved liteon 16d2s dead / no power

T

thomastjje1

Reaction score
Hi

I have a falcon 360 with a broken liteon 16d2s drive. It's one I picked up used with the defect, because I was planning on doing an rgh on it anyways.
Now I dissasembled the console and studied the broken drive a bit closer, and it seems that the drive gets no power at all. The xbox dashboard is outdated and when I try to update it I get the c000 000e error (which seems to be related to the optical drive)...

I'd like to know if it's possible to fix this, or to determine if it's a problem with the console (maybe the plug on the mobo), cable, or the drive itself. I don't want to buy a new drive only to find out it was the dvd drive pcb that was fried or something... (because the console, and dvd drive have been opened before I got it, so I don't know what the previous owner did with it)

Is there some way I can check if the console is supplying power with a multimeter or something? I tried to look it up but didn't really find anything...

Or has anyone experienced someting similair and knows the cause of the problem?

Thanks in advance

N

Newsk

Getting There
Reaction score
Open the drive and look closely at the board . Maybe take a pic and post it . I doubt the problem is from the xbox . If it was opened chances are someone tried to flash it and screwed up . Or simply plugged power cable backwards

Check this zero ohm resistor

And yeah probe any mobo ground and test power on the cable

T

thomastjje1

Reaction score
Here is a picture of the pcb. I'll try to check the cable and mobo right now.

I don't see anything obviously wrong with the pcb, but maybe you do? (don't know that much about the pcb's and circuits...)

Could a bad flash lead to a no power situation? I don't have the tools right now to check the firmware, but if that could be the case I might get it...

Edit:
The cable is fine (checked the continuity with a multimeter)
And the motherboard also seems to supply power as it should, so I'm thinking its the drive pcb? Are there points I can check to see if it's a circuit problem or a firmware problem?

Last edited:
N

Newsk

Getting There
Reaction score
Check that 207 resistor . It looks like its popped up slightly from the board . If so just needs re soldered back on . (Have seen it before )

Last edited:
T

thomastjje1

Reaction score
Got some progress on this. Part of the problem seemed to be with the console and not the drive. Some of the thermal paste near the gpu got onto the motherboard (figured this out because I was having other problems with it) and after cleaning that up it's acting differently.
Before the console would boot fine with the drive connected, the drive just wouldn't show a sign of life, complete silence. Now though when I connect the drive, I hear a little click, and then the console red rings with an orange light on the psu (short?). Without the drive it boots fine...

Going to check that 207 resistor to see if it has anything to do with it... Any other suggestions/people who experienced something similar?

Edit: Now the drive does just nothing again, that was weird :tongue:

Last edited:
T

thomastjje1

Reaction score
So I got the drive partially working... I think the person I bought it from inserted the power cable upside down, causing r207 and or r203 and or r204 to blow. I removed these and bridged the pads using some solder (I read that could solve a no power issue)
The drive makes noise and the console recognises it (I could finally update the dash), but it doesn't read discs.
When the tray is closed with no disc inside it souds like it tries to move something but fails to. If I manually open the tray and power on the console the tray closes but doesn't open again. If I insert a disc however the tray closes to open by itself a few seconds later. Closing it via the dash makes it close and open again until the disc is removed, then it stays shut...

D

Darash

Reaction score
Many thanks for this post, I have a dead Liteon 16d2s as well. This thread made me check bridge-resistors R203, R204 and R207. On the R204 the "0" was unreadable and when I scratched it, dust came off. I checked it with a DMM and it did not conduct. When I desoldered it, it came off in peaces. Bridged it again and the DVD drive came back from the dead! 😀

Top Bottom