Linux vs. Vista

Discussion in 'PC Support Archive' started by x352x Ownage, Dec 5, 2008 with 11 replies and 384 views.

1. x352x Ownage

x352x Ownage Newbie

Ratings:
    Can anyone maybe describe some pros and cons of vista and linux(ubuntu preferabally). Im currently dual-booting Ubuntu, and i dont really notice too much of a difference, except the no-more annoying "Deny" or "Allow" messages. Is there any cool things ubuntu can do that i may have not discovered? Or even, is there a better linux, thats free, than ubuntu?

2. Ibdc

Ibdc Retired Retired

Ratings:
    Vista Pros
    - Games
    - Easy to use
    - Looks cool(er than XP)

Vista Cons
    - Slower than XP
    - Some hardware compatibility problems
    - Some software compatibility problems too

Ubuntu Pros
    - Lots of free software
    - Completely customizable
    - You can make it look way cooler than Vista
    - You can use WINE to run some Windows programs
    - Performs pretty well on bad computers (assuming you aren't trying to use tons of effects and other stuff like that)

Ubuntu Cons
    - Kind of harder to use
    - Not a good selection of games

There's other stuff that I can't think of off the top of my head, but there's the most obvious ones.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Beezy 4 sheezy

Beezy 4 sheezy Banned

Ratings:
    You can change the style of any OS. So that shouldn't even be in the cons or pros.

4. Ibdc

Ibdc Retired Retired

Ratings:
    When I said completely customizable I was referring to the the fact that Ubuntu is open source. When I said that it can look way cooler than Vista, I was referring to effects produced by Compiz/Beryl, and besides the extent that the style of a linux distribution can be customized is way beyond that of Windows.

5. n00bFRAGGER

n00bFRAGGER The Godfather Retired

Ratings:
    Linux takes the cake in customization. Ubuntu is cool, takes a lot of getting used to. Sometimes Terminal can be difficult when the Command Prompt is so easy to use. The learning curve on Linux is always going to be longer than a Microsoft OS but people would rather prefer free programs as opposed to expensive Windows/Mac programs. I like Vista, I like XP even more, but I did have a lot of fun with Linux. I've used SuSE, RedHat, and Ubuntu, all pretty fun to use.

• Like Like x 1
  6. OP
    x352x Ownage

x352x Ownage Newbie

Ratings:
    Ah ok. Thank you for the info. Ive been doing more research, and have added a few cool things to ubuntu. Still more to learn though.

7. iCrackz

iCrackz Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Vista is Microsoft's worst Operating System.

Im dual-booting Windows 7 with Linux Mint.

8. iGotTheSmores

iGotTheSmores Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Linux hands down on customization. I agree it is difficult to get used to it, I plunged head first 3 yrs ago after finally deciding to wend myself off of the M$ OS t**...Actually drop cold turkey.

9. Jake007g

Jake007g Getting There

Ratings:
    Ubuntu can do pretty much everything that Vista can do (If not better than what Vista can do), but Vista wins if you are an avid PC gamer, or a .NET programmer.

10. Phoenix66

Phoenix66 Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Warning: Biased opinion Ahead

I like Linux better than Vista, simply because it is open source. I have not yet figured out how to do so, but it is possible to change ANYTHING you want in there. It is DRM free, meaning neither Apple nor Micro$oft are telling you that you can't do this or that. Linux. Is. The. s***.

11. eXosphere

eXosphere Enthusiast

Ratings:
    uBuntu is upgrading everyday. It's going to be like Windows but way faster one day.
    Linux is based for fast performance and you will soon have the steam feature :smile:

12. Andzrej

Andzrej Contributor

Ratings:
    Linux all the way ^_^
    Windows just generally sucks all around, except for games.
    Linux takes a bit to get to used to, but after that it's pretty easy.