• Start date
  • Views 583
Jimi Hendrix

Jimi Hendrix

Brick, where'd you get a hand grenade?
Forum Addict
Reaction score
Sin$
Okay, so in the next week or so i should be getting my own computer, and i have been toying with the idea of having two OS' on it. One windows and one Linux.

Windows would only be used (hopefully) for programming as i need Visual Basic for my computing course.

Now i've heard a lot of good stuff about Linux, and apparently it's a good system to use if you want to learn how to hack.

My question is, is Linux a good system to use for just general use? I know it requires a bit more knowledge to operate than Windows does, but i would happily learn if it means i can get better performance from my system.

If you have any advice or any tips for using Linux then please post them.

Thanks in advance.

Operating System
  1. Linux
xILemonHeadIx

xILemonHeadIx

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
It all depends on how you use your computer.

Linux gives you much more control over your computer than Windows, however it will take some time getting used to. I also recommend learning how to use terminal as it will make your time using the OS a lot less stressful and you will have an easier time. It will most likely be stressful and annoying at first, especially when installing programs which are not just a one click installation guide as you will be used to in Windows.

I still recommend giving Linux a shot. If you learn to use it well it is a hell of a lot more powerful than Windows.

Jimi Hendrix

Jimi Hendrix

Brick, where'd you get a hand grenade?
Forum Addict
Reaction score
Sin$
It all depends on how you use your computer.

Linux gives you much more control over your computer than Windows, however it will take some time getting used to. I also recommend learning how to use terminal as it will make your time using the OS a lot less stressful and you will have an easier time. It will most likely be stressful and annoying at first, especially when installing programs which are not just a one click installation guide as you will be used to in Windows.

I still recommend giving Linux a shot. If you learn to use it well it is a hell of a lot more powerful than Windows.
I've heard that the terminal plays quite a big role with Linux, the chances are i'll download a couple of e-books from premium. The amount of trouble i've had with Vista is insane, and i hear a lot of Vistas problems carried over onto Windows 7.

Victoria Justice

UnCle DiiGz

Contributor
Forum Addict
Reaction score
Sin$
linux is a great OS does take awhile to get use to i have used linux mint and ubuntu both were great just beware on which version you download as som come preloaded with various theme pre installed

A

Ajedorno

Reaction score
Sin$
I think that Ubuntu is safe for general use but not any of the other releases.I think Ubuntu is the most user friendly.

etownlax

etownlax

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
Ubuntu is VERY user friendly. Its very simple and you'll pick it up VERY quickly. For everyday use, I'd say its more simple than windows. It only gets complicated when you start doing more advanced things. I've been using Ubuntu for about 8 months now. I have windows, but I don't use it unless I need to. If you're building a desktop, just double check everything you're buying has drivers etc. My laptop, it's webcam nor TV tuner work since there's no drivers for Ubuntu for them. That's something to keep in mind as well.

Top Bottom
Login
Register