What's new

Solved LEDs for Xbox Controller

Carl

Carl

Retired
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Hi, I've recently purchased a Torx T8 security screwdriver to fix my A button on my controller. I've managed to do that all well and good but now I've got the equipment I thought I might as well give modding my controller a go. I'd like to start off simple - just changing the LEDs in the ring of light around the guide button. Can anyone tell me what type of LEDs to buy and if possible where from (I'm UK) - sorry this violates the no advertising thing for this section.

Also just wondering the best way to get started with this, is it just a case melting the solder around the 4 LEDs to get them free then replacing them with the new ones? And what would be the best way to see if I've got the LED in the right way or to check if they're working fine? Would soldering whilst the power is on be safe? I have a few more questions but just any general advice on doing this would be greatly appreciated.

T

tgnylu

Reaction score
Sin$
Hi, I've recently purchased a Torx T8 security screwdriver to fix my A button on my controller. I've managed to do that all well and good but now I've got the equipment I thought I might as well give modding my controller a go. I'd like to start off simple - just changing the LEDs in the ring of light around the guide button. Can anyone tell me what type of LEDs to buy and if possible where from (I'm UK) - sorry this violates the no advertising thing for this section.

Also just wondering the best way to get started with this, is it just a case melting the solder around the 4 LEDs to get them free then replacing them with the new ones? And what would be the best way to see if I've got the LED in the right way or to check if they're working fine? Would soldering whilst the power is on be safe? I have a few more questions but just any general advice on doing this would be greatly appreciated.

You need the surface mount leds (SMD 0608's). Go with the ultra brights. You can buy them locally in the UK but your best bet is to wait a couple of weeks and get them from China. You'll get 100 for $3 instead of 5 for $3. Go to ebay and search for 0603 LED and you'll find some. They usually come in green, true green, amber, yellow, orange, red, violet, blue, and pink.

The solder points are small, so hopefully you've got some soldering skills.

Jupiter757

Jupiter757

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
All you need is 0603 SMD Leds, a soldering iron, a tiny bit of solder, and some tweezers...

Here is a decent guide:

http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/mods/xbox%20360%20Controller%20LED%20Mod.htm

PM me if you have any specific questions, as I do this often.

And buy off ebay, to get them very cheap.

Comrade

Comrade

Crusty Old Dude
Retired
Mythical Veteran Contest Sponsor Tutorial Creator
Reaction score
Sin$
Here is my tut on everything you need to know about LEDs
http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/topic/239503-putting-leds-in-your-controller/

if you have questions pm me

M

MikeLawry

Seasoned Member
Hardened Veteran Fabled Veteran Modder
Reaction score
Sin$
^ don't try that it's preaty impossable to do i spent about 1 month on that finished all the LEDs but never finished wiring it up pm me I live in the uk I can tell you great places whare to get your modding equipment

Top Bottom
Login
Register