• Thread starter Barbut0z
  • Start date
  • Views 1,482
Hill Henry

Hill Henry

Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Reaction score
Sin$
When I say HTML5, I mean the html5 suite, consisting of javascript, html, and css. Of which javascript is the only programming language. I'm not saying "learn l33t html design." I'm saying, in the future, it might be more beneficial to learn suites (which I would typically condemn), like json, html, and javascript, which, from what I understand from your post, you think it is obsolete, like Ruby, when in fact it is the opposite. Once again, these platforms create actual programs, which are compiled (yes, compiled, with JIT compilation) by a browser.

Javascript can do more than manipulate the document object model, e.g. node.js. I would say that Java is a good language for mobile and desktop applications, a great one at that, seeing as how 50% of the smart phone operating system market share is divested in Android, and the JRE is common on most computers. My point is that your comment indicates either ignorance or bias towards Java because people who recommend writing HTML5 applications might know what the "h-e-double hockey sticks" they're talking about.

Why would I think they're obsolete, when I use them just about everyday?... I think the biggest problem here is that you simply misinterpret everything I say. I don't need to be told the powers of either languages. I simply said learning HTML5 will not teach you fundamental programming concepts. This is undoubtedly true. There are not loops, classes, variables, multi-threading, etc. in HTML. And, HTML must be combined with an actual programming(or scripting) language such as Javascript to actually create these programs (applications) that you speak of..

Again, I'll explain this once more. I do believe I said if he wants to do mobile application games, then Java is very suitable as the language to learn seeing it's used in almost all mobile platforms (coming from someone who prefers IOS programming). If he wants to do cross-platform higher level gaming then I recommend C or C#. I have no disdain towards Java, considering I've recently start using it again. Just because you critcize something's capabilities does not mean I have bias towards it. If we were just talking "What programming language should I learn first?" I would've recommended Java without a doubt. I stated before, Java is just as powerful as C supersets. With that being said obviously it could be used to write a game. And by all means, if you choose to there's no problem. I simply stated that in terms of game development it's not the most popular option and won't contain as high of a benefit as learning more popular game industry languages Mostly because most consoles don't include a JVM. only ignorance I truly see is that of someone who continues to debate with himself, seeing that most of what you said does not pertain to anything I've directly said. Maybe you should go compile my words so they can come out in some language that you understand. I'm done with this.

Edit: And if for some eccentric reason you do decide to respond, just PM me. Our bickering is not helping the OP. I see why these type of questions aren't allowed on stack.

Here's a link that explains some of the languages. https://www.udemy.com/blog/best-programming-language/

http://programmers.stackexchange.co...nt-java-more-widely-used-for-game-development

Let's get this clear for the slow to understand. I Hill-Henry do recommend learning Java. Java is on of the biggest enterprise programming languages out there. Do I think you should use it for game development? No. Do I think you should learn HTML as a programming language? No because it is not a programming language. It is a mark up language.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/145176/is-html-considered-a-programming-language

Last edited:
Y

YYes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
That's ironic, I feel like you misinterpret 90% of the things I say as well. Maybe we just don't understand each other.

For example: you linked me to a stackoverflow page that (correctly) states that HTML is not a programming language, which I never argued. I also tried to reinforce in my second post that when I said HTML5 app, I meant Javascript, json, css, html, all of it, yet you still argue (with yourself) that HTML is not a programming language, correctly, but still, nobody has argued with you on that point.

Do you see what I'm saying? You don't have to reply, I know this thread should be locked; I agree with you and stackoverflow on that.

The_Notorious_BIG

The_Notorious_BIG

NO NO NO NOTORIOUS
Reaction score
Sin$
That's ironic, I feel like you misinterpret 90% of the things I say as well. Maybe we just don't understand each other.

For example: you linked me to a stackoverflow page that (correctly) states that HTML is not a programming language, which I never argued. I also tried to reinforce in my second post that when I said HTML5 app, I meant Javascript, json, css, html, all of it, yet you still argue (with yourself) that HTML is not a programming language, correctly, but still, nobody has argued with you on that point.

Do you see what I'm saying? You don't have to reply, I know this thread should be locked; I agree with you and stackoverflow on that.

I think he was arguing with other people about HTML not being a programming language. But I'm not going to get into yours two argument lol

Y

YYes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I think he was arguing with other people about HTML not being a programming language. But I'm not going to get into yours two argument lol
He just got out of it. I know, maybe, but I feel the people who suggested html meant what I'm saying. Either that or I'm really bad at taking the virtual temperature of this room.

Top Bottom
Login
Register