Solved Laser Replacement

• Thread starter gameguru101
  • Start date
  • Views 533
G

gameguru101

Reaction score
Sin$
I have two xbox 360s and the laser is ****ed on 1 of em coz it dosent read games, is it possable to switch the lasers round without any software mods and if so has any got a tutorial plz?

J

joshandrok

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Have you tried cleaning the laser with some alcohol and a q-tip. Just dip a q-tip in some rubbing alcohol and wipe the laser with it. Also clean the spindle with it too. Just don't get the q-tip dripping wet. Have it just wet enough to where it's not going to get all up in the laser and mess it up.

G

gameguru101

Reaction score
Sin$
joshandrok said:
Have you tried cleaning the laser with some alcohol and a q-tip. Just dip a q-tip in some rubbing alcohol and wipe the laser with it. Also clean the spindle with it too. Just don't get the q-tip dripping wet. Have it just wet enough to where it's not going to get all up in the laser and mess it up.

might try this, where do i get rubbing alcohol from or is there any kinda substitution i can use around the house?

??

J

joshandrok

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
You can usually get it from any general store. Chances are you have some in your house now. I wouldn't use any thing but that, as it dries pretty fast by itself as long as air can get to it. And if you don't have any you can probably get a bottle for about a dollar or two. And like I said, it's pretty common stuff, you can probably get it at a gas station.

Scar

Scar

VIP
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Isopropyl alcohol (aka rubbing) is only 98 cents at target/walmart. And if that doesnt help, yes you can replace a laser just by swapping them out.

L

Lerp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Try cleaning first. Though, if you want to swap the lasers out, they have to be the same brand to fit and work, but if they are the same drives, ya, it would work. You could also just swap the board out and use the other drive if you wanted to, as long as it is the same drive.

G

Gears Gamer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
What is a q-tip? I also have a problem. My xbox struggles to read games so I'm gonna try to clean the laser and then replace it if it doesn't work. But also my disc drive won't open properly so I have to ram it open. Would I need to replace the disc drive to fix this or is it some other mechanism causing this?

jimlfixit

jimlfixit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
a q tip is a cotton bud to us brits. the elastic band that is attached to a motor may have dirt on it and maybe slipping, take it off and clean it. what drive do you have in your 360? cos there are 2 types of lasers, its quite easy, but in a samsung ms28, if you mess the angle of the laser after reinstalation, its a real pain to get 100% right. you could also try to calibrate the laser (increase power) on your drive using a multimeter, by turning the tiny potentiometer untill you get about 3.9 on the meter.

G

gameguru101

Reaction score
Sin$
jimlfixit said:
a q tip is a cotton bud to us brits. the elastic band that is attached to a motor may have dirt on it and maybe slipping, take it off and clean it. what drive do you have in your 360? cos there are 2 types of lasers, its quite easy, but in a samsung ms28, if you mess the angle of the laser after reinstalation, its a real pain to get 100% right. you could also try to calibrate the laser (increase power) on your drive using a multimeter, by turning the tiny potentiometer untill you get about 3.9 on the meter.

im gunna check what type my other drive is later and if there the same and 1 isnt the samsung ms28 ill probly replace them.

J

joshandrok

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Gears Gamer said:
What is a q-tip? I also have a problem. My xbox struggles to read games so I'm gonna try to clean the laser and then replace it if it doesn't work. But also my disc drive won't open properly so I have to ram it open. Would I need to replace the disc drive to fix this or is it some other mechanism causing this?
Well, If the Q-tip and alcohol doesn't work then you may need to caliberate your laser. here is a tut on how to calibrate it. This goes for both of you guys that are having problems with it.

http://dwl.xbox-scene.com/tutorial/XBOX_360_POT_CALIBRATION_V1.0_by_Moda.pdf

BTW I take NO credit for that tut...
And once you get it open then you might as well go ahead and clean everything and that will fix the tray opening problem.

G

gameguru101

Reaction score
Sin$
joshandrok said:
Well, If the Q-tip and alcohol doesn't work then you may need to caliberate your laser. here is a tut on how to calibrate it. This goes for both of you guys that are having problems with it.

http://dwl.xbox-scene.com/tutorial/XBOX_360_POT_CALIBRATION_V1.0_by_Moda.pdf

BTW I take NO credit for that tut...
And once you get it open then you might as well go ahead and clean everything and that will fix the tray opening problem.

thanx alot much appreciated

gameguru101 said:
im gunna check what type my other drive is later and if there the same and 1 isnt the samsung ms28 ill probly replace them.

iv just found out that the drive that wasnt reading disks, the laser was cracked so i replaced it with a working laser and it still dosent read disks?

Oh the cracked laser was ms25 and i replaced with ms28???

Top Bottom
Login
Register