Solved Laptop Super Slow- won't start up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blitz

Blitz

My Problems have Problems.
Reaction score
Sin$
Yesterday my laptop was going very slow and I'm not sure why, but I just keptbusing it the best I could. And today, after trying to start it up, it told me to press any button to cancel some sort of "disc scan."
I pressed a button to cancel it and it got stuck. (The count down stopped, but the loading bubble...things kept going.)
I force shut it off again and tried again. Same thing.
Shut it off once more, and this time it told me it was repairing my disc drive or whatever. It told me it could take over an hour.
I went and left it alone for probably a few hours, only for it to be at the same place.
I force shut it off once more and it told me to press a button to cancel the option to start a disc drive repair/scan (like when I first turned it on.)
Instead, I just left it... Now it won't go up from 0%.
It is the "ASUS" Booting Screen (even before the Windows 10 login screen) and it says:
"Scanning and repairing drive (C: ) : 0% complete"
It has been at 0 for about 30 minutes now.

~Update~
Let my laptop die and booted it up again.
Said it was running diagnostics and once again says "Repairing disk errors. This might take over an hour to complete."

Last edited:
ImOx

ImOx

(^._.^)ノ
Retired
Programmer MotM Platinum Record
Reaction score
Sin$
Could be a dead HDD very likely.

Blitz

Blitz

Reaction score
Sin$
Could be a dead HDD very likely.
My original HDD was crashing my laptop every time I tried to do everything. So we got it replaced. I've had this one for like two months -3-

Regicide

Regicide

ApparitionNET & Chaotic360 User
Reaction score
Sin$
Any progress?

What is the max amount of time that you have left it running?
What size is your HDD?
Are you able to boot into BIOS? If so, have you tried booting in safe mode?

It's common for Windows 10 to take up to 6+ hours to scan and repair a drive.
Mine was stuck at 10% and I left it overnight and it was at 97% and finished 10-20 minutes later. (I have a 2TB HDD)

Blitz

Blitz

Reaction score
Sin$
Any progress?

What is the max amount of time that you have left it running?
What size is your HDD?
Are you able to boot into BIOS? If so, have you tried booting in safe mode?

It's common for Windows 10 to take up to 6+ hours to scan and repair a drive.
Mine was stuck at 10% and I left it overnight and it was at 97% and finished 10-20 minutes later. (I have a 2TB HDD)
I let it run out of battery over night. I turned it back on and it says "Repairing disk errors. This might take over an hour..." Again. So I can either get it back on that screen (the one where it tells me the %) or leave it here. But it was on 0% for a good few hours. 
As for HDD size, and all of that, I'm not sure. XD I'm not a computer person. Same with the booting stuff, I'm not sure. Ill try to get a picture of what screen its on though.

Never mind, my phone is just as stupid. I can't post anything on imgur or whatever.

Blitz

Blitz

Reaction score
Sin$
It is this (just with the ASUS brand logo and all)
maxresdefault.jpg

Regicide

Regicide

Reaction score
Sin$
I can either get it back on that screen (the one where it tells me the %) or leave it here. But it was on 0% for a good few hours.
Sometimes the percentage won't update during the process, I'm unsure of the cause of this.
However, I would suggest that you start the process again and leave it overnight.

Another thing you could try is:
After the "Diagnosing your pc" prompt is finished, keep pressing space bar (need to do this before the chkdsk process starts (the scan and repair thing))
After pressing spacebar constantly it should say something related to "to skip disc checking, press any key to continue" just keep pressing spacebar until that screen disappears, once it disappears you can stop pressing spacebar and then the desktop should appear or login screen.

Blitz

Blitz

Reaction score
Sin$
Sometimes the percentage won't update during the process, I'm unsure of the cause of this.
However, I would suggest that you start the process again and leave it overnight.

Another thing you could try is:
After the "Diagnosing your pc" prompt is finished, keep pressing space bar (need to do this before the chkdsk process starts (the scan and repair thing))
After pressing spacebar constantly it should say something related to "to skip disc checking, press any key to continue" just keep pressing spacebar until that screen disappears, once it disappears you can stop pressing spacebar and then the desktop should appear or login screen.
Okay. It never said anything before the countdown came up. But I'm now pressing the spacebar and the same thing is happening. The countdown stopped, the loading thing is still swirling around but nothing is happening other then that 
Well ****.
It finally changed and said there was an error with your PC, we'll restart it for you. .3.
Screen is now black, and-
Back to "Diagnosing your PC"

Regicide

Regicide

Reaction score
Sin$
Back to "Diagnosing your PC"
As soon as that part disappears, do the spacebar method.

Do you know what model your laptop is? That way I can find out the key for your BIOS, it might be F2.
Turn off your PC, hold down the F2 key, press the power button (while holding down F2) and continue holding it until the BIOS appears.
993_37_34-acer-aspire-5520-set-bios.jpg

Should look somewhat like that, let me know if you are able to get this screen to appear.

Blitz

Blitz

Reaction score
Sin$

Do you know what model your laptop is? That way I can find out the key for your BIOS, it might be F2.
Turn off your PC, hold down the F2 key, press the power button (while holding down F2) and continue holding it until the BIOS appears.

Should look somewhat like that, let me know if you are able to get this screen to appear.
After the "Diagnosing your PC" part, it just said it was repairing and it could take over an hour. It didn't ask to cancel. But I'll try that, I guess. That was the first time I got a screen that wasn't black and said "ASUS" on it (the error screen) 

Add me on Kik/Skype please. I can't send the picture any other way :/ KikBlitzMods
Skype- [email protected]

Regicide

Regicide

Reaction score
Sin$
I added you on skype, it would probably be better to message there as alerts are only appearing when I refresh the page and therefore takes me longer to respond.

Reedradar

Reedradar

Flex and bass is what life is all about.
Reaction score
Sin$
I had this with my Acer. Two things fixed it one is perm ones not so much:

1:Replace the HDD.

2:Install new os(This fixed it for me but every few months I had to reset my OS again)

Blitz

Blitz

Reaction score
Sin$
I had this with my Acer. Two things fixed it one is perm ones not so much:

1:Replace the HDD.

2:Install new os(This fixed it for me but every few months I had to reset my OS again)
Brand new HDD but I may need a new one honestly. FML. That guy didn't seem super trust worthy :/
(The guy who replaced my HDD only a month or two ago)

Reedradar

Reedradar

Flex and bass is what life is all about.
Reaction score
Sin$
A
Brand new HDD but I may need a new one honestly. FML. That guy didn't seem super trust worthy :/
(The guy who replaced my HDD only a month or two ago)
Hdd replacement is easy and simple. Most laptops just unscrew the back and life it up and it should be right there

Blitz

Blitz

Reaction score
Sin$
Free HDD replacement. Memory went from 500 to 350 GB because they didn't have another 500.. but Eh. it works. thank you everyone though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom
Login
Register