Laptop Aid

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware & Builds' started by Abolfazl, Feb 19, 2009 with 13 replies and 242 views.

1. Abolfazl

Abolfazl Contributor

Ratings:
    Well my tax refund allows me to have (at most) $400 along with Obama's plan which is another $400 at most but these are all the best case scenarios. Anyways money is not that big of an issue for me but all of the money accumulates.

I am looking to buy myself a Laptop but not a major one (17"+ screen or whatever). I am looking for a very simple laptop that can do simple things and is great for multimedia (audio and video).

I was thinking about getting the Dell Inspiron Mini 9. Here are the specs I chose
    I was also browsing Newegg for some netbooks and I narrowed it down to three computers that are all $400. See them [Click here to view the link]

Please help me and give me tips. I am not looking to spend a fortune since I am probably getting a (fullsize) laptop for college next year.

Edit#1: I am looking for a computer that has the following specs (at least):
    Memory: 1+ Gb (2 preferrably)
    Bluetooth: Yes
    Wireless: 802.11 b/g/n
    Color: Black, Blue, Red
    DVD: Reader/Writer (Dual-layer burner would be nice too)
    Webcam: 1.3px

2. JoeMal

JoeMal Retired Retired

Ratings:
    Ever used Ubuntu? The Dell doesn't look bad if you are cool with that, especially since it's the only one with 2GB of RAM

3. Jimmyz

Jimmyz Enthusiast

Ratings:
    You are gonna get sick of a 32gb HD real quick. I would highly recommend the new U120 MSI Wind, which has the same specs but has XP Home and a 160 gb drive.

4. OP
    Abolfazl

Abolfazl Contributor

Ratings:
    I chose the 2Gb of ram myself :wink: Ive used Ubuntu before but it didnt run very well. I can always dualboot right?

I can upgrade to 64Gb for $50 more but I also have a 300Gb hdd in an external enclosure as well, By the way.. I saw the U120. The specs were pretty good but I just didn't like the color. Not a big fan of white. I prefer Black or some sort of artsy Blue

5. JoeMal

JoeMal Retired Retired

Ratings:
    I don't see why you couldn't dual boot...unless there is something about the solid state drives that doesn't allow it

• Like Like x 1
  6. OP
    Abolfazl

Abolfazl Contributor

Ratings:
    Do you know what file system it is? Ntfs? Fat32? Ext2?

7. JoeMal

JoeMal Retired Retired

Ratings:
    I would assume NTFS...does Dell not tell you or give you the option of what format type you would like?

8. OP
    Abolfazl

Abolfazl Contributor

Ratings:
    No they dont. Normal harddrives are ntfs. I just thought that a ssd harddrive would be different or something.

9. Beezy 4 sheezy

Beezy 4 sheezy Banned

Ratings:
    My school uses the Dell Inspiron Mini 9 mini laptops. There pretty sick. Get one!

10. I Got Me some 24"s

I Got Me some 24"s Getting There

Ratings:
  11. heytheree

heytheree Enthusiast

Ratings:
    That stupid face you attach to every single topic ever is seriously annoying.

12. Psycho Homer

Psycho Homer Retired Retired

Ratings:
    Post in the right section next time.

13. Pieceman

Pieceman VIP VIP

Ratings:
    Look around at geeks.com for some awesome laptop prices. That's where I got my lappy from :wink:

14. OP
    Abolfazl

Abolfazl Contributor

Ratings:
    Its just a face. Calm down.
    At least it isn't ╠ ╣ ╩ or any other alt code like that :smile:

Sorry