What's new

Question Lag Switches and finding glitches.

Unkown_Error

Unkown_Error

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Hey, needing opinions on using a lag switch on the PS4. Not in regards to using it during PVP but on instances like finding wall breaches and menu exploits.

Does anyone know where to buy one? I don't really want to make it haha.

This website is claiming to be able to be set up straight from the modem to the back of the PS4 without extra routers. Is this possible?
http://lag-switch.com

Also the site seems outdated. Any thoughts?

Thanks for taking the time to read this. :smile:

L

lLoui2

Reaction score
Sin$
Assuming that the website and it's product are legit, then it should work.

If you have a Windows PC near your PS4 then I suggest saving your money and trying a free solution.
1. Grab an ethernet cable, plug one end to the PS4 and the other to the PC. Connect the PC to the internet using WIFI or a different ethernet port.
2. Google how to enable "internet connection sharing" and get your PS4 to connect to the internet using the laptop as the "internet provider". (bridging connections also works)
3. Grab any firewall program that allows you to block all incoming/outgoing connections. Zone Alarm Pro (ZAP) worked well for me.
Here comes the fun part
4. Block all incoming connections when you want to enable the "lag switch". (Don't forget to allow all incoming connections after a few seconds or you may disconnect)

If you find any of the previous steps to be vague or confusing, use google. There are plenty of in-depth tutorials.

Wanna go hardcore with your new free lag-switch?
Lets take it one step further now and make your controller activate the lag switch
(requires Titan One/Cronus Max but might be able to work something out with the new DS4s that allow input to both USB and Bluetooth, assuming it can connect to both PC/PS4 simultaneously).

These steps assume you are using ZAP
1. Connect your DS4 to your computer via Bluetooth (must be via Bluetooth)
2. Grab a Cronus Max or a Titan One and plug it into the controller while the controller is also connected to the PC via bluetooth. Now your controller can output to both the PS4 and the PC. Make a GPC script that disables the share button for the PS4 (this gives you a button to use freely for enabling/disabling lag-switch).
3. Get the InputMapper DS4 driver program. (Some other programs may work well too)
4. Using InputMapper, we will create two profiles. One profile to enable the lag switch and the other to disable the lag switch.
5. For the first profile.... Create a macro. Have the share button press the right arrow key (the key will control ZAP slider to enable) and then have it switch to the second profile.
6. For the second profile... Create a macro. Have the share button press left arrow key (the key will control ZAP slider to disable) and then have it switch to the first profile.
7. Using your mouse, click the zap slider and set it to medium. Your computer now has focus on the slider, do not click anything else or it will unfocus from the slider.

You are ready for some high quality lag switching.
Press the share button > the right arrow key will be pressed > the ZAP slider will go from MED to HIGH, enabling the lag switch.

If you press the share button again > the left arrow key will be pressed > the ZAP slider will go from HIGH to MED, disabling the lag switch.

Using the things listed above, you can get creative and...
* Whitelist your friends IP, effectively making what is usually called a "team lag switch". (or maybe you just want to avoid getting disconnected from friends party chats and/or still talk to them while the lag switch is enabled)
* Have your aim button enable the lagswitch when aiming and disable when not aiming.
* Create timers that automatically disable your lagswitch after a certain amount of time so you never disconnect.
* Create notification or text to speech sounds when the lagswitch is enabled/disabled.
* Change the DS4 LED lights to a unique color when enabled and disabled.
* Create an actual lag-switch by purposefully crippling your PC network to the point where you get high pings but still data is flowing. (Like actual lag)
* Grab the IP of people in-game or whatever and use a botnet/booter/stress tester to kick them offline (illegal and may not work if the person is behind a VPN).
* Become a 1337 h4x0r Bill Gates Clone and packet edit everyone in the game to death, send shady crafted packets to game servers saying you just acquired 1e+42 amount of experience points, and [insert any possible x packet editing result for y game]. Then laugh hard in the faces of people that say there are no "game hacks" on next-gen consoles.

I've also seen some apps for Android that spam data to a router to bring down the connection for a desired period of time. Not sure if you need a rooted Android for it though. There may also be a iOS alternative.

M

Mildew

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Good luck completely lagging it. I don’t know about ps4 but on XBone you need to keep a connection upwards of 200k or else it boots you. Sometimes you could get 2-3sec out of it but gone are the 10sec game lag days. At least from the testing I did back in early 2014.

L

lLoui2

Reaction score
Sin$
Good luck completely lagging it. I don’t know about ps4 but on XBone you need to keep a connection upwards of 200k or else it boots you. Sometimes you could get 2-3sec out of it but gone are the 10sec game lag days. At least from the testing I did back in early 2014.
Maybe the method you are using does not work for whatever reason, however with the method I posted above it should still work.
With your method, it could be the case that you may lag switch for 5+ seconds and then reconnection takes 5+ seconds, triggering a disconnect (just to name one of many possible reasons).

Also, 200k of what? I assume kilobytes but I could be wrong. Where are you getting this information from anyways? I'm guessing from personal experience which really wouldn't prove your statement. So, I would like to see a source if you have one.

Unkown_Error

Unkown_Error

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Hey,

I've read old forums and I know that since then things have changed significantly with lag switching. It does still work however as I've run into people using this against me online (PS4).

I am more interested in finding environmental glitches such as wall breaches etc. As using in pvp makes for a frustrating and unfair experience.

Thanks for the information regarding setting up the virtual lag switch and I would try these, however my laptop is broken atm and so I have bought a premade lag switch. I think it will be great in the long run as it has a pressure toggle so I am able to press efficiently and with ease as opposed to the keyboard.

Is this the right setup from what I've researched?

Router>Lagswitch>network switch>cable to PS4.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to look for when testing for lag switching exploits? Eg finding barriers/wall breaches? Thanks.

L

lLoui2

Reaction score
Sin$
Hey,

I've read old forums and I know that since then things have changed significantly with lag switching. It does still work however as I've run into people using this against me online (PS4).

I am more interested in finding environmental glitches such as wall breaches etc. As using in pvp makes for a frustrating and unfair experience.

Thanks for the information regarding setting up the virtual lag switch and I would try these, however my laptop is broken atm and so I have bought a premade lag switch. I think it will be great in the long run as it has a pressure toggle so I am able to press efficiently and with ease as opposed to the keyboard.

Is this the right setup from what I've researched?

Router>Lagswitch>network switch>cable to PS4.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to look for when testing for lag switching exploits? Eg finding barriers/wall breaches? Thanks.
This sounds correct. I think as long as it isn't directly connected to the PS4 it should be fine or else it might instantly disconnect you with a message saying "Ethernet disconnected" (or something like that).
Might still work if you connect it directly, I've never used one of these so I'm not sure.

I'm not so sure on what to look for the exploits, however if I was dedicated in finding them what I would personally do is look at how they are done in multiple different games to get an idea.
I remember in Halo 3, the kill barrier when going outside the map was for some reason tied to the network, so if you weren't host and you activated your lag switch, then you were able to get past the kill barrier and stay outside. (It's been a very long time since I played, so that might not have been exactly how it was done)

Also regarding the PC method, it's a PC so if you can get creative with the stuff you own or can acquire you can even have a banana activate it using your foot. Hell, why not even a mind controlled lag switch? You might think it's a joke but... https://www.emotiv.com/brain-controlled-technology/

Oh and if for whatever reason you want to activate your lag switch with a banana, wasn't joking about that either :3 https://www.fastcodesign.com/3046397/turn-any-stupid-piece-of-fruit-into-a-smart-button

I mean sure you can get a regular old lag switch but it's nothing compared to a mind controlled banana lag switch. I mean think about it, you can have your lag switch and eat it too!

Last edited:
Unkown_Error

Unkown_Error

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Ok thanks for this info guys it's very informative.

After song some research I'm wondering if the physical lag switch is going to be of use still, being 2018. :unsure:

M

Mildew

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Assuming that the website and it's product are legit, then it should work.

If you have a Windows PC near your PS4 then I suggest saving your money and trying a free solution.
1. Grab an ethernet cable, plug one end to the PS4 and the other to the PC. Connect the PC to the internet using WIFI or a different ethernet port.
2. Google how to enable "internet connection sharing" and get your PS4 to connect to the internet using the laptop as the "internet provider". (bridging connections also works)
3. Grab any firewall program that allows you to block all incoming/outgoing connections. Zone Alarm Pro (ZAP) worked well for me.
Here comes the fun part
4. Block all incoming connections when you want to enable the "lag switch". (Don't forget to allow all incoming connections after a few seconds or you may disconnect)

If you find any of the previous steps to be vague or confusing, use google. There are plenty of in-depth tutorials.

Wanna go hardcore with your new free lag-switch?
Lets take it one step further now and make your controller activate the lag switch
(requires Titan One/Cronus Max but might be able to work something out with the new DS4s that allow input to both USB and Bluetooth, assuming it can connect to both PC/PS4 simultaneously).

These steps assume you are using ZAP
1. Connect your DS4 to your computer via Bluetooth (must be via Bluetooth)
2. Grab a Cronus Max or a Titan One and plug it into the controller while the controller is also connected to the PC via bluetooth. Now your controller can output to both the PS4 and the PC. Make a GPC script that disables the share button for the PS4 (this gives you a button to use freely for enabling/disabling lag-switch).
3. Get the InputMapper DS4 driver program. (Some other programs may work well too)
4. Using InputMapper, we will create two profiles. One profile to enable the lag switch and the other to disable the lag switch.
5. For the first profile.... Create a macro. Have the share button press the right arrow key (the key will control ZAP slider to enable) and then have it switch to the second profile.
6. For the second profile... Create a macro. Have the share button press left arrow key (the key will control ZAP slider to disable) and then have it switch to the first profile.
7. Using your mouse, click the zap slider and set it to medium. Your computer now has focus on the slider, do not click anything else or it will unfocus from the slider.

You are ready for some high quality lag switching.
Press the share button > the right arrow key will be pressed > the ZAP slider will go from MED to HIGH, enabling the lag switch.

If you press the share button again > the left arrow key will be pressed > the ZAP slider will go from HIGH to MED, disabling the lag switch.

Using the things listed above, you can get creative and...
* Whitelist your friends IP, effectively making what is usually called a "team lag switch". (or maybe you just want to avoid getting disconnected from friends party chats and/or still talk to them while the lag switch is enabled)
* Have your aim button enable the lagswitch when aiming and disable when not aiming.
* Create timers that automatically disable your lagswitch after a certain amount of time so you never disconnect.
* Create notification or text to speech sounds when the lagswitch is enabled/disabled.
* Change the DS4 LED lights to a unique color when enabled and disabled.
* Create an actual lag-switch by purposefully crippling your PC network to the point where you get high pings but still data is flowing. (Like actual lag)
* Grab the IP of people in-game or whatever and use a botnet/booter/stress tester to kick them offline (illegal and may not work if the person is behind a VPN).
* Become a 1337 h4x0r Bill Gates Clone and packet edit everyone in the game to death, send shady crafted packets to game servers saying you just acquired 1e+42 amount of experience points, and [insert any possible x packet editing result for y game]. Then laugh hard in the faces of people that say there are no "game hacks" on next-gen consoles.

I've also seen some apps for Android that spam data to a router to bring down the connection for a desired period of time. Not sure if you need a rooted Android for it though. There may also be a iOS alternative.

You are right, it is working if you restrict your DOWNLOAD my point was that anything below 200Kbs is going to disconnect.
Like I said before you can’t completely lag (hault all traffic) on an XBone. This is partially from me tested on multiple devices in multiple environments and partially from the research I did before I started. Hell if I know where I first got the general idea from. You also have to remember that any uploading done on the console will effect that 200k.
He was mostly talking about a disconnect switch. That’s why I made the comment about “good luck” because I haven’t got any complete disconnects on upload to work since 360 or on pc.

L

lLoui2

Reaction score
Sin$
You are right, it is working if you restrict your DOWNLOAD my point was that anything below 200Kbs is going to disconnect.
Like I said before you can’t completely lag (hault all traffic) on an XBone. This is partially from me tested on multiple devices in multiple environments and partially from the research I did before I started. Hell if I know where I first got the general idea from. You also have to remember that any uploading done on the console will effect that 200k.
He was mostly talking about a disconnect switch. That’s why I made the comment about “good luck” because I haven’t got any complete disconnects on upload to work since 360 or on pc.
Out of curiosity, I would like to know what method exactly are you using because internet isn't always completely stable and according to what you are saying, it sounds like even 1 second of a lag spike is going to disconnect you which does not make any sense to me. Most people in the world do not have stable internet and occasionally or often have drops on upload/download to 0kb, however they are still able to play on the Xbox One just fine on the internet without getting forcibly disconnected.

I've also done this countless times on the Xbox 360 and on PC, completely halting outgoing/incoming connections for around 7-8 seconds before a disconnect kicks in. Which again, leads me to believe that whatever method you are using simply does not work as intended.

Ok thanks for this info guys it's very informative.

After song some research I'm wondering if the physical lag switch is going to be of use still, being 2018. :unsure:
A lag switch still has it's uses, especially in peer to peer games and player hosted games.
Can't really speak for a physical lag switch because the only thing I've done close to that is disconnecting the modems Ethernet cable (which usually causes a disconnect due to reconnection sometimes taking several seconds).

Last edited:
OMGnanerpus

OMGnanerpus

cyan:wave2:Buying burnt food!
Retired
Lifetime
AzzidReign Jr End of the Year 2012 Legendary Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Most people in the world do not have stable internet and occasionally or often have drops on upload/download to 0kb, however they are still able to play on the Xbox One just fine on the internet without getting forcibly disconnected.
What? I really don't think that's the case. Do you have any data to back up that claim?

L

lLoui2

Reaction score
Sin$
What? I really don't think that's the case. Do you have any data to back up that claim?
It's a fact that a majority of the world does not have the infrastructure for modern internet, however even then, most game servers and players are located on the USA (or modern countries) for the majority of games and those outside of the USA (or modern countries) will naturally suffer distance lag and drops when connecting to these game servers or players.

Source for internet speed, gives you an idea of the infrastructure for the world: https://www.fastmetrics.com/internet-connection-speed-by-country.php

Source for infrastructure of a number of countries for 2017 (in-depth): https://www.akamai.com/fr/fr/multim...state-of-the-internet-connectivity-report.pdf

Human population by country, gives you a general idea of how many people are using these infrastructures: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_and_dependencies_by_population

Source for statistics on players based on Steam users: https://steamspy.com/country/

Source for most game servers being in USA: http://www.gameserverdirectory.com/countries.php

A nice source on distance lag and why it's a serious physical issue by theoretically using the speed of light as ping time: https://royal.pingdom.com/2007/06/01/theoretical-vs-real-world-speed-limit-of-ping/

Top Bottom
Login
Register