Lag switch Problems

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Support Archive' started by Otaku Se7en, Jan 6, 2009 with 20 replies and 11,248 views.

1. Otaku Se7en

Otaku Se7en The Old School Retired

Ratings:
    I used a Cat 5 wire, cute the Orange wire, and is it supposed to (as soon as I flip it) dis connect me from Xbox Live?

Oh am I supposed to use it to plug the internet up to my router?

2. Twis7eD

Twis7eD Banned

Ratings:
    wait, im confused. Are you trying to bridge through your router or with 2 NIC cards?

3. OP
    Otaku Se7en

Ratings:
    I'm trying to figure out how to connect my lag switch to my stuff.

4. nightxcrisis

nightxcrisis Newbie

Ratings:
    Run it like this..

With the cable.. I just used a regular light switch as the lag switch.. when I get home.. I'll post a tut for you on how to do it.. Send me a pm..

I ran mine directly from Xbox>Switch>Modem. I've never tried it with a router.

5. OP
    Otaku Se7en

Ratings:
    When I plugged it up directly to my xbox. when I flip it off, it dis connects. Instantly.

6. joespec

joespec Enthusiast

Ratings:
    it has to be the lag switch cord plugged in from your MODEM to your ROUTER then connect your 360 or pc or whatever to the router ports on the back of the router....the lagswitch has to be from the MODEM to ROUTER.....otherwise your just cutting connection to your xbox360.....

Hope this helps:thumbup:

7. OP
    Otaku Se7en

Ratings:
    We don't have an modem I can get to, I just go from the plug in the wall to router, to 360. theres only 2 places in the house where it comes from. 2 plugs in the wall.

8. joespec

joespec Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Then make your lagswitch and run it from the wall(put the lag-switch ethernet cord from your wall to your router)...if you cant do that your screwed because if im correct you have DSL and not a cable connection....but either way you should have a Modem,if its not close enough then buy a couple long cords and some ethernet adapters and ''POOF'' you should be ok:thumbup:

9. OP
    Otaku Se7en

Ratings:
    Thats what I do, wall to router, cord from my rouer to my 360.

EDIT

We have a modem, its just in the wall.

10. nightxcrisis

nightxcrisis Newbie

Ratings:
    I just got home.. I found my old switch. Do this.

Modem>Lag Switch>Router>Xbox.

Simple enough. No more arguments on who's way of using it is better. I just tested that method and it works perfect.

Sorry about all the confusion in my last post.

11. OP
    Otaku Se7en

Ratings:
    I don't have a modem to plug it into, theres 2 plugs in the wall in 2 different rooms, I just picked one, will it not work from there, because it hasn't I've been following the steps to how to Standby Host with a Lag Switch and the invisible man glitch and the other team not having guns, Nothing has worked after 20+ tries...

12. nightxcrisis

nightxcrisis Newbie

Ratings:
    Is there an additional Cat5 coming from the wall modem? If this is what I'm thinking... Just take that cable and switch it with the switch...

Another solution.. But another router (preferrably the same kind) and run the wires like this.

Modem>Cat5>Router>SWITCH>Router>System.

I'm not 100% sure if that would work or not... But it would be worth the try if you had another router laying around.. Right?

13. OP
    Otaku Se7en

Ratings:
    No we have 2 plugs in the wall, in 2 different rooms, only places where the internet comes into the house.

I go from: Wall>Lag Switch>Router>System

Edit:
    Also, nothing works when using it, not the way it says on the forums that works for everyone else.

14. ajb

ajb Newbie

Ratings:
    heres my problem. my modem and wrieless router are downstairs. i have a 50 ft etherent (cat6) running from the modem up to my room. i made a lag switch with a cat5 ehternet cord i do not want to bring my xbox downstairs just to use this. is there anyway of getting this to work if i bought another modem and put it up in my room like.

modem_>ethernet(cat6)-> modem2->lagswitch->xbox360?

15. o F R Y E R o

o F R Y E R o Newbie

Ratings:
    You will need:
    1 light switch(dimmers not reccomended)
    1 ethernet cord(2, to be safe)
    1screwdriver
    1pair of scissors or 1stripping tool

(optional, but useful)
    tape
    box to hold switch
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    now carefully strip the insulator off the cord, but be extremely careful NOT to cut the cords themselves.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

there should be about 10 wires in there. carefully cut the solid color ORANGE wire, and connect the ends to the metal conductors on the sides of the light switch(be sure to do all of this while the ethernet cord(s) are unplugged.). If this setup doesn't work for you, take the spare cord and repeat this step with the solid color GREEN wire.

it should work after you have done all this. Hope i helped.

16. DvGoWnEr

DvGoWnEr Newbie

Ratings:
    i have the same problem i made the lag switch at a friends house connected it
    modem>cat5>router>lag switch>xbox and it was working fine (they were freezing)
    then when i went back to my house, my modem is one (modem and router in 1) and because my modem/router is in the wall we have Ethernet points in the wall, so i plugged my lag switch in wall>lag switch>xbox and i was hosting when i flicked it on they were still running around (like normal) and a few seconds later i got disconnected from xbox live, can anyone help

17. joshandrok

joshandrok Enthusiast

Ratings:
    The only thing I can say is drop the lag switch and pick up an autostandbyer. Download an autostandbyer (probably found in Halo 2 standby section, because I havn't seen anyone use this way since halo 2 days) then download Zonealarm pro, and put all the people that you don't want to lag in you trusted IP's (get their IP and put them in trusted) now on the firewall there will be a switch that goes from off to medium to high. turn autostandby on and click the firewall from medium to high. And there you go, you are team standbying. Which is the same as a lag switch except 10x's more convienent. On the autostandby program you can even change the speed in which it standbys. Just make sure it's not too high or you will lag yourself or everyone else out. I don't know why people do lag switches when this way works just as good, or better.... And you have to be host, but that's a given. I'm assuming if you can get host to lag switch then it should be no problem... But whatever if lagswitching is your thing then go for it.

18. Mudkip

Mudkip The Mudkip

Ratings:
    I made a lag switch and really didnt find it usefull, is there an effective way to do it without host?

19. joshandrok

joshandrok Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Not really. When you're host everyone is connected to you. That's why you can make them lag.If you're not host you are just making yourself lag. because no one is connected to you.

20. Cole Dennis

Cole Dennis Newbie

Ratings:
    No no no no no no....... Im not trying to sound like a jerk but you guys do not know what you are talking about, about how to hook up the lag switch I use mine all the time and it never has problems. What you do is plug the lag switched ethernet from your xbox into your router. What this does when you are in a game is when you press your lag switch you can only have it on for about 4 to 5 seconds or else your connection will go out. When you turn it on when your host it freezes the other players including your teammates.