• Thread starter Geometry
  • Start date
  • Views 1,061
G

Geometry

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Has there been any news about how Treyarch is handling problems with lag and if they will bring back lag compensation? I personally didn't like lag compensation and I hope Treyarch really puts some time into developing a better solution for Lag than what Mw3 did. What are your thoughts? They will most likely not implement dedicated servers for consoles so what do you guys think should be done? I say that they should somehow add a feature into black ops 2 lobbies where the system simulates the selected host's capability before the match actually begins(In the pre-game lobby). If the system thinks that the host will run the game smoothly, then it should launch the game. Otherwise just end the lobby. I know the current system does something similar where it checks for the best host in the pre-game lobby but I want it to be more advanced. Advanced meaning it can somehow simulates the connection that everyone would be getting and if it will be good enough BEFORE the game starts. Because if the system could detect that there is actually no good host(unlike now where it just selects the best host even if that person has a terrible connection), then we wouldn't have to constantly go through game ending in host migration and what not. So I wanna hear your guys opinions. Should they just bring back lag compensation?Or should they make the whole system a little more smart which would help reduce as much lag as possible? Or should they do something else?

Dave

Dave

Harbinger Of Common Sense
Retired
Bright Idea Hardened Veteran Sinner
Reaction score
Sin$
I hope lag comp isn't in there, but it probably will be, but hopefully in a more tolerable way. I disagree with its implementation in general though; if you have a bad connection that's your problem, people with good connections should have to suffer because of it.

As for your suggestion, that won't happen as it simply can't be done in the way you said. It would take a considerable chunk of time to process all that information and select the host who's connection is the most optimal. The system previous Treyarch games had was fine in my opinion.

D

xVikingsXpridex

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Lag compensation is in every online game, the difference being how it's coded. With what Ive seen thus far on treyarcs
improvement is yes it will be better.

D

Deleted member 117745

Reefer Smoker
Reaction score
Sin$
the problem with mw3 lag compensation is that it picks the person with the fastest instantaneous download speed, not the person with the most consistent download speed. the thing that doesn't work about this is often times people with wifi can pull just as high of speeds, however they can't consistently hold a good connection, which is why you get some terrible hosts on mw3. if they tested the hosts connection speed over a time period of about 20-30 seconds (maybe in the pregame lobby), seems to me they would find much better hosts 99% of the time.

J

Jwow

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
I hope lag comp isn't in there, but it probably will be, but hopefully in a more tolerable way. I disagree with its implementation in general though; if you have a bad connection that's your problem, people with good connections should have to suffer because of it.
That is a very ignorant thing to say and I have to assume that you are uneducated in the matter. First of all, no data over xbox live is p2p. It goes through Microsoft servers before being sent to the client. That adds about 30-50ms of latency. With that being said that means that at best you could have a ping of 50-70ms. That may not seem like much but the difference may be as much as a few feet (in game). Now a days it is necessary for games to have lag compensation. You may have the best connection in the world but unless you are playing on LAN you are going to have lag issues.
Lag_compensation.jpg

here is a visual representation of what lag compensation does (this is for the source engine but the techniques used are similar if not the same as call of duty). What this picture is showing is that at the time the client sent the command (shooting) the other client's hit boxes were right there. But by the time the server received the command the other client was a few feet in front of that. So the server estimates approximately when the command was sent and then rewinds the game to that time (not literally) to check where the other client was at that time. (for a better explanation: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Source_Multiplayer_Networking#Lag_compensation )

Tl;dnr: Lag compensation is needed (atleast on xbox live) and anyone who says otherwise is incorrect.

Boo 7s

Boo 7s

All Powerful
Greeter Reporter Mr. Nice Guy
Reaction score
Sin$
Lag compensation has been in every cod to date. Mw3 just really boosted it up and failed. I believe treyarch will handle this in a positive way so everyone will have a decent connection.

ThE 0n3

ThE 0n3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Tl;dnr: Lag compensation is needed (atleast on xbox live) and anyone who says otherwise is incorrect.

No lag compensation, use BF3's online method and have no host. Less lag, no "host advantage", less/no modding, no host migrations, and if there is lag, everyone lags almost the same. I think this is the best method but will never happen in CoD because it would have to change to much :/

run632

run187-

Seasoned Member
Forum Addict Seasoned Veteran Grizzled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Lag compensation has been in every cod to date. Mw3 just really boosted it up and failed. I believe treyarch will handle this in a positive way so everyone will have a decent connection.
Yeah.i do not know what is wrong with cod 4 way of doing it .why they change to this new terrible way is beyond me .
I should not have to have a 80/20 meg connection to have a semi decent game ffs ..

CLE

CLE

Enthusiast
Seasoned Veteran 10th Anniversary
Reaction score
Sin$

As for your suggestion, that won't happen as it simply can't be done in the way you said. It would take a considerable chunk of time to process all that information and select the host who's connection is the most optimal. The system previous Treyarch games had was fine in my opinion.

I don't agree, think about it, someone may have just as good of connection as you except they live in a place were they don't get good service.
It's not really their fault if they live somewhere where the internet doesn't have that great of signal and why should they suffer for it?
Lag compensation is great, it makes the game fair because everyone plays on the same connection.
Who cares if your all one baring it, its still fair, isn't it?
But, if the host is 4 baring it and if he has terrible connection and other players are 3 or 2 baring it, is that fair?

LebronJames

futureproof1001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I don't agree, think about it, someone may have just as good of connection as you except they live in a place were they don't get good service.
It's not really their fault if they live somewhere where the internet doesn't have that great of signal and why should they suffer for it?
Lag compensation is great, it makes the game fair because everyone plays on the same connection.
Who cares if your all one baring it, its still fair, isn't it?
But, if the host is 4 baring it and if he has terrible connection and other players are 3 or 2 baring it, is that fair?
somebody has slow internet lol

J

Jwow

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
If I may ask, what purpose does the "host" in a Call of Duty match serve?

Great explanation btw.
No lag compensation, use BF3's online method and have no host. Less lag, no "host advantage", less/no modding, no host migrations, and if there is lag, everyone lags almost the same. I think this is the best method but will never happen in CoD because it would have to change to much :/
there's really no reason to have dedicated servers (as long as the game does a good job at picking hosts). And I'm not sure if you're saying that BF3 does not use lag compensation but it does. Like I said, any game on xbox LIVE pretty much needs lag compensation due to the way traffic is handled through the servers.

ThE 0n3

ThE 0n3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
there's really no reason to have dedicated servers (as long as the game does a good job at picking hosts). And I'm not sure if you're saying that BF3 does not use lag compensation but it does. Like I said, any game on xbox LIVE pretty much needs lag compensation due to the way traffic is handled through the servers.

That's the problem, it won't do a good job at picking hosts lol. I just think it would be better to have dedicated servers, and yes I know all games use lag comp, I just like how BF3 handles it better.

Top Bottom
Login
Register