What's new

Solved KV Problem Help!

• Thread starter lanemodznow
  • Start date
  • Views 206
L

lanemodznow

Reaction score
So I bought a KV from a trusted seller and on the mega it says its an executable file but when i download it and drag it to my desktop it opens with notepad and shows as a text document on my desktop but the type of file is a .bin. How do i fix this? Or is it fine to use as it is? When i go to change to open with it just says notepad and 1 media player.

T

TheWeekendModder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So it sounds like you have an issue with file associations on your PC.

Essentially, the last 3 characters of a filename after the dot '.' are used to help the OS identify what program you want to open something with.

For example, ".exe" is generally executable program, ".txt" is a text file and by default might open with NotePad, ".pdf" is a portable document format that is often associated with Adobe Reader, but there are many 3rd party programs that can also read ".pdf" files.

So, if the files you have downloaded are a .bin file the computer is trying to open them with whatever program registers itself as capable of opening those file types. On my PC the media player VLC is registered for .bin - but I don't actually open those files at all, so it's not necessary to correct.

If your CPU key file is named CPUkey.bin it's very likely that someone just renamed cpukey.txt to cpukey.bin so you could very likely open notepad, then manually browse to and open CPUkey.bin if you actually want the CPU key.

Googling around should lead you to lots of info about file extensions - you may also need to turn off a feature within windows "Hide known file extensions" in order to be able to even see them.

Hope that helps.

I

ImOx

(^._.^)ノ
Retired
Reaction score
Doesn't matter what file association you have.
Just drag your files to the root of your HDD and done.

I

iIVIoNoXiDe

JTAG/RGH Seller
Reaction score
As ImOx said, as long as the extension is .bin then it will work find on your hdd and be recognised by the server you are using.

Top Bottom