What's new

Discussion Just made component xbox cable with ethernet cable

afterjo

afterjo

Enthusiast
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Last week I received my cheapo component cable from china. It was put together very well, but picture quality was bad. So i decided to mod it. Many people converted this cable by using xbox 360 component cable. And I think, why to waste a good cable, there must be cheaper way. Then I think about, why not to use internet cable, cat5e or better, since they are good quality cables. And the results are very good: no interference, no checker boarding, no color bleeding.

Internet cable have 4 pairs, so i need to share ground wires. I decided to make 3 pairs for each video channel with separate ground and the last pair for left and right audio channels with shared ground to any video channel ground.

I think it's pretty good idea, since audio lovers make their audio cables out of internet cables. Problem is that pairs are not twisted at the same rate making some pairs longer. And it could make some video/audio anomalies, but it didn't, at least for my eyes.

What do you guys think about this?

Last edited:
Shady

Shady

Super Moderator
Super Moderators
10th Anniversary Forum Addict Mr. Nice Guy
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Last week I received my cheapo component cable from china. It was put together very well, but picture quality was bad. So i decided to mod it. Many people converted this cable by using xbox 360 component cable. And I think, why to waste a good cable, there must be cheaper way. Then I think about, why not to use internet cable, cat5e or better, since they are good quality cables. And the results are very good: no interference, no checker boarding, no color bleeding.

Internet cable have 4 pairs, so i need to share ground wires. I decided to make 3 pairs for each video channel with separate ground and the last pair for left and right audio channels with shared ground to any video channel ground.

I think it's pretty good idea, since audio lovers make their audio cables out of internet cables. Problem is that pairs are not twisted at the same rate making some pairs longer. And it could make some video/audio anomalies, but it didn't, at least for my eyes.

What do you guys think about this?
actually a great idea you came up with. good job:thumbsup:

Fogel

Fogel

Call Me Mclovin!
Reaction score
Sin$
Component cables are pretty easy to mess with. But don’t go messing with any cheap power supply’s wiring them together. I’d hate to see someone f*** that up.

afterjo

afterjo

Enthusiast
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Component cables are pretty easy to mess with. But don’t go messing with any cheap power supply’s wiring them together. I’d hate to see someone **** that up.

I abandoned this project, because i had difficulty to maintain mechanical connection on splitting board with solid core wiring, solder always cracked, i could have used other means of connecting lan cable with component plug ends, but it would be ugly sight. So i ended up sacrificing xbox 360 cable and soldered it to chinese xbox cable plug.

Maybe, if i used stranded wire not solid core. But at this point i was lazy to test with stranded wire LAN cables.

Cellulose

Cellulose

Composition C is my family
Reaction score
Sin$
Love this man! Wish I could of thought of this back when half of my AV cables were stripped somehow. Great work!

Top Bottom
Login
Register