Just got a PS3

Discussion in 'PlayStation 3' started by GTA3, May 16, 2018 with 10 replies and 618 views.

1. GTA3

GTA3 Enthusiast

Ratings:
    I purchased a PS3 on ebay for £11 spares or repair, it is a 40gb fat and it was YLOD when i got it.
    I spent a couple of hours on it and tried the heatgun repair on it and it worked and has brought it back to life.
    How long it will last i have no idea but for £11 and a couple of hours work if i get a few months out of it i will be happy.
    I know some people wont agree with the heat gun but i thought as it only cost £11 and was dead anyway it was worth a try.
    If you take your time the PS3 is quite easy to strip down, if you build computers you can rebuild a PS3 there is nothing really scary.

2. Pianist Prodigy

Pianist Prodigy Upcoming Actor Retired

Ratings:
    Damn that cool you brought back to life but Im not sure of time frame of how long it will last though.

3. OP
    GTA3

GTA3 Enthusiast

Ratings:
    One thing i have noticed and would suggest for anyone with a ps3 fat, if you havent already strip your machine and replace the thermal paste on cpu and gpu, the stuff sony used to put it nicely is ****. I think this causes the problem of YLOD or at least doesnt help. If your phat is still running well then please do this now before it dies, it will certainly help guard against YLOD, the trick with a heat gun doesnt always work.

4. Piss Mustard

Piss Mustard Banned

Ratings:
    well what you did is called as reflow i think and it's temporary it wont last

5. OP
    GTA3

GTA3 Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Well its still working and i have spent quite a few hours gaming on it, i think its all down to how the machine is treated, if it has good cooling and is kept dust free i dont see it failing again.

6. corpse

corpse Enthusiast

Ratings:
    if they replace the GPU its as good as new but reflow/reball with same GPU isn't usually a good idea.

7. Doom94

Doom94 Enthusiast

Ratings:
    That is if it is Dead. Not if it has a bad connection to the board.

8. OP
    GTA3

GTA3 Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Well it died again, it powers on with harddrive activity but no display and no network activity, when it did finally try to display something it locked up, looks like the GPU is done.

9. Aydind

Aydind Super Moderator Super Moderators

Ratings:
    Yea, it wasn't meant to last anyways.

10. U_S_MARINE

U_S_MARINE Newbie

Ratings:
    Liquid ice works great for heat sink I have several bc jb fats recommend swapping the bigger power supply to the lower gb models

11. afterjo

afterjo Enthusiast

Ratings:
    year 2007 is crap for gpus.

laptops, consoles, pc cards suffered from this.

Laptops don't even have heatspreader and still breaks. It's totally a bad year. :biggrin: