Solved JTAG update

• Thread starter rumsey
  • Start date
  • Views 599
R

rumsey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Long story short, I haven't used my JTAG'd box in over a year and a half, I'm on dash 9199, and I can't remember if I ever updated from XBR to FreeBoot. I want to update to 13599 but from what I understand, if I haven't already I need to update from XBR to FreeBoot.

What tools can I use to check my current nand dump to identify what version of XBR or FreeBoot I am using?

Cheez

Cheez

I Got The Wizard Stick
Retired
Forum Addict
Reaction score
9199 = freeBOOT

Kyllswitch

Kyllswitch

And Justice for All
Tutorial Creator Modder
Reaction score
Anything above 8955 is freeboot.

R

rumsey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Next question, when dumping my nand with flash 360 block 165 cannot be read. If I have a bad block does this effect the steps I use for updating?

Also, how do I check my CPU key from the 360 itself... if I remember right I hold a button while powering on the console, or else can use a 360 app to check it?

popkon51

popkon51

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its eject plus switch on or off i think (on)

Kyllswitch

Kyllswitch

And Justice for All
Tutorial Creator Modder
Reaction score
Next question, when dumping my nand with flash 360 block 165 cannot be read. If I have a bad block does this effect the steps I use for updating?

Also, how do I check my CPU key from the 360 itself... if I remember right I hold a button while powering on the console, or else can use a 360 app to check it?
If your looking for your cpu key just open up xell. By pressing the eject button. And as for the other the question i'm not sure.

Cheez

Cheez

I Got The Wizard Stick
Retired
Forum Addict
Reaction score

1. Almost every NAND has bad blocks, I think mine has 2 or 3. It does not effect the update process at all.

2. Also, make sure you are not using your Flash360 backup to create your new 13599 image. You need to have your ORIGINAL NAND.

3. Make sure you are using normal AV cables, no component or HDMI. Press eject to power on your console and you should be greeted with the Xell screen. You can either ( A ) take a picture of you screen to get the CPU key or ( B ) make sure your JTAG is connected to your network, and look for a local IP address within Xell. Type that local IP into your browsers address bar and it will give you all of the consoles information.

R

rumsey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wish I had read your reply first.

2. Also, make sure you are not using your Flash360 backup to create your new 13599 image. You need to have your ORIGINAL NAND.

I was using this thread as my basis which says:

People already running freeBoot who do not have their original NAND image, make a backup of your NAND and use that as if it were your original.

So anyway, I tried using my freeBoot backup to create the image. When I flashed it I got red lights and no boot, blinking red lights. First 2 top red 2 bottom green, then 2 bottom red 2 top green. It just blinks like that forever.

Luckily, Xell still boots fine with eject so I was able to use that to reflash the backup I have and I am now back able to boot fine in to my 360, but I am still stuck on 9199. I don't believe I still have a copy of my original nand.

One other problem, both my backup and the image created with Easy Freeboot booth show a bad KV in 360 flash dump tool (after I plugged my CPU key in to the program). So at this point I am back to a working 9199 jtag'd 360 but am unsure of how to proceed. Any suggestions appreciated.

Also I wasn't sure which SMC to use, so I set it to stock (it is a Xenon I flashed using the original jtag hack).

Cheez

Cheez

I Got The Wizard Stick
Retired
Forum Addict
Reaction score
I wish I had read your reply first.

I was using this thread as my basis which says:

So anyway, I tried using my freeBoot backup to create the image. When I flashed it I got red lights and no boot, blinking red lights. First 2 top red 2 bottom green, then 2 bottom red 2 top green. It just blinks like that forever.

Luckily, Xell still boots fine with eject so I was able to use that to reflash the backup I have and I am now back able to boot fine in to my 360, but I am still stuck on 9199. I don't believe I still have a copy of my original nand.

One other problem, both my backup and the image created with Easy Freeboot booth show a bad KV in 360 flash dump tool (after I plugged my CPU key in to the program). So at this point I am back to a working 9199 jtag'd 360 but am unsure of how to proceed. Any suggestions appreciated.

Also I wasn't sure which SMC to use, so I set it to stock (it is a Xenon I flashed using the original jtag hack).

Try contacting the person you purchased it from (If you bought it) and see if they have a backup of it. If you cannot get a hold of your original NAND, if you have a Xenon you can try using a donor NAND.

R

rumsey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try contacting the person you purchased it from (If you bought it) and see if they have a backup of it. If you cannot get a hold of your original NAND, if you have a Xenon you can try using a donor NAND.

I did it myself but that hard drive has been lost for some time now. A lot of people in that thread seem to have success using their freeboot image.

I guess for the time being I will read some more (it seems like lots of people are having other issues with easy freeboot as well).

Can you tell me the downsides of using donor files? (I will lose my dvd key obviously, but what else?)

R

rumsey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Used donor files and replaced correct dvd/cpu key, everything seems to be working fine. Since I have no intentions of taking the box on Live I will consider this resolved.

Thanks to everyone that put in with suggestions.

Cheez

Cheez

I Got The Wizard Stick
Retired
Forum Addict
Reaction score
Used donor files and replaced correct dvd/cpu key, everything seems to be working fine. Since I have no intentions of taking the box on Live I will consider this resolved.

Thanks to everyone that put in with suggestions.

Glad you got it working bro, is it okay if I close this now?

Top Bottom