How to watch videos on a JTAG console using the official Microsoft Optional Media Update
If you own a JTAG, Chances are you are using FSD, and have dashlaunch installed.. If not, I recommend it; and if you don't like it, it doesn't matter anyway; but if you are interested here is a link to a tutorial on setting it up:
However that is not what todays lesson is. Today we will learn how to play movies using the optional media update, which I have so generously already uploaded for you guys out there and also a file which you could potentially need...
1. Download the required files from HERE
Step by Step
2. Unzip/Extract the files to a place of your choosing
3. Access your HDD1; be it official or unofficial; whichever has the 3 Partitions, and the Content/0000000000000000/ ... directory
- How to access?
Using FTP would be my choice as its easy and fast, so Launch XeXMenu, FSD, or your choice of Xex launcher/browser which has FTP compatibility and use your FTP Client of choice to access it... Connect using the standard details..
(Your IP will vary)
--Navigate to your HDD1
-- And then to CONTENT
-- and now to the 00000000000000 folder...
-- Now scoll to the bottom and look for this folder... If you don't have it; Create it :
...then open it up
Now place the 00000002 folder, and within it you should place the extracted files from earlier, in the Optional Media Update folder...
Your end result should look like that
4. Now, well done; You have placed the files on the HDD in the correct directory... It is now time to test...
5. Launch the STOCK dashboard (if on FSD, press the GUIDE button, PRESS ( Y ) and go to yes, as the screen goes black hold ( RB ) [Right Bumper]. (By default)
6. Now, plug in your HDD, USB Stick, or insert your DVD with your files on, and go to your video library and load them up. If it works, excellent; this tutorial is now over for you.
IF you still get the 'You need to download a media update' error still, the tutorial has a few more steps.
Optional - Continue if placing the files in the correct directory did not work
The only reason that the beginning part of this tutorial would not work would be because you haven't added the most recent Official update to your console (the one that has all the kinect information and avatar data)... Provided you did a good flash there is no reason that this update shouldn't work, however should something go wrong, I take no responsibility. And you should have no trouble reflashing...
1. In the .ZIP file you downloaded at the beginning there is a folder named : $Systemupdate
2. Place this on the root of a USB device, and insert it into your xbox 360 console. Restart your console and it should prompt you to install it.
3. After it has installed, and assuming your JTAG is still functioning, try again to play a video and it should work.
Thank you for following this tutorial.
Credit to HK_Trammel of Xbox360ISO for the files.