• Start date
  • Views 658
AxelLovesYou

AxelLovesYou

Enthusiast
Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
My Jtag just got Secondary Code 0102 and i need help fixing it?

What Method should i use?

i've been thinking about using this Method right here

If it matters im using a Xenon JTAG.

kanyun

kanyun

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
My Jtag just got Secondary Code 0102 and i need help fixing it?

What Method should i use?

i've been thinking about using this Method right here

If it matters im using a Xenon JTAG.
No. The method you should use is to send it to a professional. Heat guns melt plastic parts, flex the motherboard, bridge solder under the chips, blow surface components off the board, and do a whole lotta other crap that would ruin your Xbox beyond repair.

The concept of remelting the solder is valid, but using a heatgun is an absolute stupid way to execute this concept. No controlled air flow means its stuck on high....and with that amount of heat coming out, tiny resistors and capacitors can blow right off the board, never to be seen again. No temperature monitoring means that it is also stuck on a very high temperature. You want to get the solder to flow at a temperature of around 212-240 degrees C. Anything lower and you have a short lived reflow. Anything higher and you could have bridged solder under the chip or a completely destroyed popcorned chip. No preheater and board brace means the heatgun will locally expand whichever part of the board that's heated. The board WILL warp/flex, and if it does this where any sort of chip is, it wouldn't sit right and make contact with all the points, and you'd be screwed. And do not move the board that soon after heating. Bumping solder when its in a liquid state could, once again, bridge points.

Find someone on here who will reflow/reball your GPU for a reasonable price with a real reworking station.

AxelLovesYou

AxelLovesYou

Enthusiast
Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
No. The method you should use is to send it to a professional. Heat guns melt plastic parts, flex the motherboard, bridge solder under the chips, blow surface components off the board, and do a whole lotta other crap that would ruin your Xbox beyond repair.

The concept of remelting the solder is valid, but using a heatgun is an absolute stupid way to execute this concept. No controlled air flow means its stuck on high....and with that amount of heat coming out, tiny resistors and capacitors can blow right off the board, never to be seen again. No temperature monitoring means that it is also stuck on a very high temperature. You want to get the solder to flow at a temperature of around 212-240 degrees C. Anything lower and you have a short lived reflow. Anything higher and you could have bridged solder under the chip or a completely destroyed popcorned chip. No preheater and board brace means the heatgun will locally expand whichever part of the board that's heated. The board WILL warp/flex, and if it does this where any sort of chip is, it wouldn't sit right and make contact with all the points, and you'd be screwed. And do not move the board that soon after heating. Bumping solder when its in a liquid state could, once again, bridge points.

Find someone on here who will reflow/reball your GPU for a reasonable price with a real reworking station.

But i have no money at all.

im Broke and all i have is House-Hold Supplys. and i wasnt gonna use a heat gun.
i was gonna use a Hair Dryer.

kanyun

kanyun

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
But i have no money at all.

im Broke and all i have is House-Hold Supplys. and i wasnt gonna use a heat gun.
i was gonna use a Hair Dryer.
There is no possible way in hell that a hair dryer could spit out heat that was 212 C. It wouldn't even get close. If you're completely set on risking the Xbox's life, look into "oven reflows". They have some good tutorials at Xbox-experts. You MUST insulate the plastic parts and capacitors very well or they will explode. But if you do it right, you should be fine. The board wont flex and nothing will blow off the board. You really should invest in a tiny bottle of Kester no clean flux from ebay. They are about 2 dollars with free shipping I think on ebay. You shouldn't do a reflow without removing oxidation and softening the solder with flux beforehand. It wouldn't last long at all.

AxelLovesYou

AxelLovesYou

Enthusiast
Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
There is no possible way in hell that a hair dryer could spit out heat that was 212 C. It wouldn't even get close. If you're completely set on risking the Xbox's life, look into "oven reflows". They have some good tutorials at Xbox-experts. You MUST insulate the plastic parts and capacitors very well or they will explode. But if you do it right, you should be fine. The board wont flex and nothing will blow off the board. You really should invest in a tiny bottle of Kester no clean flux from ebay. They are about 2 dollars with free shipping I think on ebay. You shouldn't do a reflow without removing oxidation and softening the solder with flux beforehand. It wouldn't last long at all.

Then i guess im gonna have a shot with sending off my Xbox to a pro.

Do you know anybody that could do this service CHEAP?

Just a little off topic here- i like how it attempts to boot up, and freezes WHILE booting up.

kanyun

kanyun

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Then i guess im gonna have a shot with sending off my Xbox to a pro.

Do you know anybody that could do this service CHEAP?

Check the BST here at 7s. I'll attempt a reflow for 20 bucks, plus shipping both ways, but I can't guarantee a reflow will fix it. What you'll really want is a reball, but they cost a bit more and I don't have a reballing jig to do that for you. =/

AxelLovesYou

AxelLovesYou

Enthusiast
Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Check the BST here at 7s. I'll attempt a reflow for 20 bucks, plus shipping both ways, but I can't guarantee a reflow will fix it. What you'll really want is a reball, but they cost a bit more and I don't have a reballing jig to do that for you. =/

Hmmm, Alright. ill See what i can get.
I Guess this is what i get for buying a JTAG off of TTG. RROD Straight from the box then started working now RROD again. heh.

Thanks.<3

kanyun

kanyun

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Hmmm, Alright. ill See what i can get.
I Guess this is what i get for buying a JTAG off of TTG. RROD Straight from the box then started working now RROD again. heh.

Thanks.<3
Ahh yeah =/ Well if you find someone to reball it, if you ever sell it, you can advertise it as "reballed" and the value could be increased slightly.

Good luck!

AxelLovesYou

AxelLovesYou

Enthusiast
Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Ahh yeah =/ Well if you find someone to reball it, if you ever sell it, you can advertise it as "reballed" and the value could be increased slightly.

Good luck!

Well, i dont want it Sold. i actually want to keep it.
But are you sure its gonna be a reball and not a reflow?

kanyun

kanyun

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
You can get it reballed or reflowed. Reballs tend to last longer but cost more.

Reflows CAN last just as long, but usually don't, and are cheaper.

AxelLovesYou

AxelLovesYou

Enthusiast
Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
well this is.. Awkward of me doing this.
But i went back to TTG complaining to the person i bought it from and found a reflow for 30 Dollars(Plus Shipping)
And it has a 60 day Warranty and a free 12V Fan upgrade. Should i do it?

XeChris

XeChris

Contributor
Reaction score
Sin$
well this is.. Awkward of me doing this.
But i went back to TTG complaining to the person i bought it from and found a reflow for 30 Dollars(Plus Shipping)
And it has a 60 day Warranty and a free 12V Fan upgrade. Should i do it?
I'd say so. Xenons when paired with the cruddy 5v variable fans are doomed. Now a reflow would make the console work again for awhile, however like Canyonne said, reballs are more of a better fix. Reflow 12V Fan mod and probably new thermal compound is a steal! Do it.

Top Bottom
Login
Register