• Start date
  • Views 7,406
B

bezarah

Reaction score
Sin$
Me: Trying to Dump Nand to do a JTAG
Nandpro: "Could not detect flash controller!"
Me: "ARRRRRRGGGGG!!!!! You stupid f$%^in# JUST WORK ALREADY!!!" (burning solder on my eyeball)

Here are some details on my setup:
System Dash version: 2.0.7369.0
Xbox: Jasper 16MB
Nandpro: have tried versions 2b-2e
Memory access showing up in device manager just fine
PC OS: have tried vista 32bit, XP Home 64bit
Using TIAO USB SPI
Wires soldered and connected to the correct locations on the USB SPI (I checked and rechecked)
Xbox plugged in, power supply has it's light on, but the console is not powered on.

Now everywhere I've read about this issue, the consensus seems to be that it's a soldering issue. So, with that in mind, I got myself a multimeter and did some testing. I should say at the outset that I have no idea how to use this tool. All I know is that if the needle goes up then I have a circuit, and the higher the needle goes, the better the connection. I first tested the soldering that I did on the wires (connecting the header pins to the wire). All check out OK (needle buried). Next, I checked for shorts in my soldering by connecting to each of the 6 wires (not ground J1D2.6) in combination. The needle didn't budge, so no shorts, right? Next, I attached to the ground wire (J1D2.6) in combination with each of the 6 wires. Here are the results:

J1D2.1 - Around 9 on the multimeter (See linked photo)
J1D2.2 - Around 9 on the multimeter (See linked photo)
J1D2.3 - Around 9 on the multimeter (See linked photo)
J1D2.4 - Around 9 on the multimeter (See linked photo)
J2B1.5 - Around 20 on the multimeter (no photo for this one...you get the idea...not as good a connection)
J2B1.6 - Around 9 on the multimeter (See linked photo)

It seems that 5 of the wires have very consistent readings, except J2B1.5 which has a lower reading. I decided to re-solder this wire, and got the same results. I even sampled directly on the lump of solder on the mobo and got the exact same results.

So, here are my questions:

1) Are the results from the multimeter testing at all valid? Do they indicate anything at all? Should I have done the testing in a different way? Should I have taken electronics instead of Home-Ec in highschool?

2) How does my soldering look? Does it look like it needs to be redone by someone who has a clue?

3) Should I try the lpt port method instead of using the USP SPI I bought from Tiao? With all the practice I'm getting on soldering I think I could get that done in a flash :smile:

4) Do I need to upgrade the dash board to the recommended version to get this sucker to dump the nand? I realize that it's necessary to update at some point, but is it stopping the nand dump right now?

5) I did notice when the USB SPI is not plugged into the PC (through USB), but the Xbox has the power cable plugged in, the red power light on the USB SPI is lit faintly. Does this indicate an issue?

6) I've read a lot of suggestions to keep the wires as short as possible. These suggestions are mainly for those using the LPT method. Does this apply to those using USB? I've got around 40cms of wire connecting the xbox to the USB device. Is this a possible cause of issue?

Additional details:
I actually started by soldering the connections, then realized that I had bought the solderless add on. I de-soldered the wires, and used the solderless add-on with the pogo pins. I ended up successfully dumping part of the nand, but could not hold the pogo pins on the mobo. They kept slipping around, probably because of the extra solder I left on the pads. So, I decided to go back to soldering the connections, and have had the "Could not detect flash controller!" message ever since.

Anyhow, anyone that can help, it's much appreciated.

J1D2:
PpBkp.jpg

J2B1:
CFCvo.jpg

Wiring:
NPsQZ.jpg

Multimeter:
vvmND.jpg

Thanks!

DTAHoNDa447

DTAHoNDa447

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
well if its not detecting flash controller its something wrong with the flasher or maybe you dont have the power plug in.

Make sure everything is still plugged in, and usb is all the way in. Its not the dashboard version that wuld stop from detecting flash controller.

And its not nandpro20b or 20d, cus if it was it wouldnt even try to detect the flash controller.

iDaze

iDaze

Contributor
Experienced Veteran Forum Addict
Reaction score
Sin$
well if its not detecting flash controller its something wrong with the flasher or maybe you dont have the power plug in.

Make sure everything is still plugged in, and usb is all the way in. Its not the dashboard version that wuld stop from detecting flash controller.

And its not nandpro20b or 20d, cus if it was it wouldnt even try to detect the flash controller.
No its definitely not.. its cold solder points.

B

bezarah

Reaction score
Sin$
make ur wires way shorter

I'm shortening them as much as possible and redoing the soldering...

Thanks for the suggestion

Edit:

I'm using the wires that come with the TIAO kit. They are braided. Do you think the issue could be that the wires are not high enough quality?

I

ii M3RK U x

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I had a problem with my jtag a while ago and I had that no controller was found and all i did was check the solder and at one point i saw that the solder point was abit dodgy so what i did was just resoldered it then preheated the points from the other side of the of the motherboard to make sure the solder is actually touching and it worked :smile:

Hope it helps you mate :smile: :wink:

B

bezarah

Reaction score
Sin$
I had a problem with my jtag a while ago and I had that no controller was found and all i did was check the solder and at one point i saw that the solder point was abit dodgy so what i did was just resoldered it then preheated the points from the other side of the of the motherboard to make sure the solder is actually touching and it worked :smile:

Hope it helps you mate :smile: :wink:

I'll start with the shorter wires then try pulling the mobo out of the case and checking the underside. I've never looked down there, so I may be asking questions later.

Thanks!

PureVVater

PureVVater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Could not detect flash controller comes from bad soldering. So check your soldering. Also just to be on the safe side I would update to 7371 because freeboot works with 7371 so anything lower might not work when you flash freeboot.

Z89

zackf89

Xbox Modification/Repair Master
Reaction score
Sin$
Could not detect flash controller comes from bad soldering. So check your soldering. Also just to be on the safe side I would update to 7371 because freeboot works with 7371 so anything lower might not work when you flash freeboot.

wrong and wrong

Icy-Tank

Icy-Tank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Hey just some food for thought...

If you are the one who opened the xbox up and are the first one to try and JTAG it then you either are not getting power through the mobo to your usb spi flasher or you don't have all of your wires quite soldered in 100%.

If you are not the first one to try and jtag this mobo then you potentially could have a dead NAND. I know this sounds a little bizarre, but from my own experience...I had a guy who was JTAG'ing with me and he flashed a xenon xell image to a zephyr board. Instant-dead. He tried for DAYS to "recover" and short the nand and everything else...but all in all, we ruled it out as 100% FUBAR.

From what I have seen on your pictures I cannot 100% tell that they are correct, but they look good to me. I wish I had a better/clearer picture of where your wires ran to from the SPI flasher to the mobo, but try double checking and making sure they are all hooked up accordingly. I know you have said u have checked it a couple times but one more can't hurt!

If you got a partial dump from the pogo pins, then I would be using the deductive reasoning and figure out what was so different. Take 15 minutes and look VERY VERY thoroughly over the mobo and make sure there are no loose solder balls or solder splashes...and if that still doesn't help you, PM me and I will try to help you out the best I can with it so that you can FINALLY get this beast up and running!

B

bezarah

Reaction score
Sin$
Thanks everybody for the suggestions. I posted my questions on two other sites, and this was the only one that had a real community. So, I shortened the wires, re-soldered, did the underside soldering with no luck. I decided to de-solder and give the pogo pins a try. Still no luck. I grabbed my other xbox (non jtaggable) and put the pogo pins on, and on the first try it started dumping. Same USB SPI, same wire config, same PC everything, and it worked on the first try. My guess is that I must have damaged the jtaggable one somehow to prevent it from dumping. The good news is that it still boots fine. I'm going to do the dvd drive mod, sell it for some cash and go hunting for another jtaggable xbox.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Bz

Brother Jordan

Brother Jordan

מספר אחד
VIP
Retired
Sinner Hardened Veteran MotM
Reaction score
Sin$
ok. its the USB-SPI. the one from taowiki. its trash. i have it lol. i resoldered 30 gauge, and currently 24 gauge wire that runs to the jtags. u should consider the same. i de-soldered the pin headers on the board, then soldered wire directly to the pcb and the motherboard. the pin headers cause the flash contrller error. if that doesnt work, plug the jtag into a power strip, and when ur reading in nandpro, quickly flip the power on the power strip and then it should read.

I

ii M3RK U x

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
ok. its the USB-SPI. the one from taowiki. its trash. i have it lol. i resoldered 30 gauge, and currently 24 gauge wire that runs to the jtags. u should consider the same. i de-soldered the pin headers on the board, then soldered wire directly to the pcb and the motherboard. the pin headers cause the flash contrller error. if that doesnt work, plug the jtag into a power strip, and when ur reading in nandpro, quickly flip the power on the power strip and then it should read.
Or you just could Use NAND X for modtraders.co.uk or any other Mod trading shop ,Nand X is very easy to install and worked for me for over 30 jtags :tongue:
you should consider of buying the kit:smile:

Brother Jordan

Brother Jordan

מספר אחד
VIP
Retired
Sinner Hardened Veteran MotM
Reaction score
Sin$
Or you just could Use NAND X for modtraders.co.uk or any other Mod trading shop ,Nand X is very easy to install and worked for me for over 30 jtags :tongue:
you should consider of buying the kit:smile:

old topic fail bump?

also, he already has the nandreader, and nand-x is for morons who dont have good soldering skill

K

KiiD PRiiNCE

Reaction score
Sin$
Actually its okay but it needs to be like perfect on the board and the flasher or else it wont work. i just dumped my Falcon with it and now trying the Xenon.

Top Bottom
Login
Register