• Thread starter Asphyxia
  • Start date
  • Views 2,297
Asphyxia

Asphyxia

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Hi guys, so I've been thinking about buying a 500GB 2.5" HDD off of newegg and getting a shell for it for my JTAG. I've been getting mixed answers from looking around. I'm confused to as what will happen when I format it using my JTAG. Will it recognize the whole hard drive? Will it format it correctly or should I use HDDhackr? Thanks :smile:

ONE 2 NV

ONE 2 NV

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Thanks man! +rep
Do you know if it gives you all three partitions in xtaf or xplorer360?

let me check...

EDIT 1: nope just 2. Partition 0 and Partition 3.

EDIT 2: I lied, Xplorer360 shows 2 partitions, while Modio device manager shows 3.

Niall47

Niall47

Fire and Blood!
Mythical Veteran Grammar Nazi Jokester
Reaction score
Sin$
I had some issues using a 120GB HDD.
It wouldn't recognise it without FAT32 (or FATX, can't remember) formatting.
It was a b**** and I gave up in the end. :frown:

The Blob

The Blob

xXxThe11thxXx ?
Reaction score
Sin$
It will work... I personally have a 500GB WD5000BEVT in my Zypher Jtag. Just plug it in and have the xbox format it and you are good to go.

PROOF

So what you guys liek format them so they are a good HDD to be used on any 360. Or jsut to use on a JTAg. Because I just bought an external 1.5TB WD Elements harddrive then formated it to FAT32. And it works fine for my JTAG. But its not like an actuall xbox drive it just comes up as a USB in XEX Menu

Asphyxia

Asphyxia

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
let me check...

EDIT 1: nope just 2. Partition 0 and Partition 3.

EDIT 2: I lied, Xplorer360 shows 2 partitions, while Modio device manager shows 3.
Lol alright thanks! That clears some things up :smile:

I had some issues using a 120GB HDD.
It wouldn't recognise it without FAT32 (or FATX, can't remember) formatting.
It was a b**** and I gave up in the end. :frown:
and what kind of hard drive was it? and I'm assuming you tried formatting it on the system?

Niall47

Niall47

Fire and Blood!
Mythical Veteran Grammar Nazi Jokester
Reaction score
Sin$
Lol alright thanks! That clears some things up :smile:

and what kind of hard drive was it? and I'm assuming you tried formatting it on the system?
Don't remember the brand. I took it out of a friends PC and put it in a caddy. It read on the PC but the Jtag simply refused to recognise it, so I couldn't format through Xbox. And Windows refuses to format in FAT above a certain size.

Asphyxia

Asphyxia

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
So what you guys liek format them so they are a good HDD to be used on any 360. Or jsut to use on a JTAg. Because I just bought an external 1.5TB WD Elements harddrive then formated it to FAT32. And it works fine for my JTAG. But its not like an actuall xbox drive it just comes up as a USB in XEX Menu
Yeah, I'm talking about getting a HDD that fits in the xbox hard drive case for my JTAG. That will make it show up as an actual HDD, whereas external HDD's show up as USB devices.

Don't remember the brand. I took it out of a friends PC and put it in a caddy. It read on the PC but the Jtag simply refused to recognise it, so I couldn't format through Xbox. And Windows refuses to format in FAT above a certain size.
Ahh, I see. I'm getting a brand new drive though so it won't be formatted at all. So hopefully, I'll just be able to plug it in and format it right on the 360.

oblivioncth

oblivioncth

Mr. Cloth
Mr. Nice Guy MotM TotM
Reaction score
Sin$
Hi guys, so I've been thinking about buying a 500GB 2.5" HDD off of newegg and getting a shell for it for my JTAG. I've been getting mixed answers from looking around. I'm confused to as what will happen when I format it using my JTAG. Will it recognize the whole hard drive? Will it format it correctly or should I use HDDhackr? Thanks :smile:

It will work however any hard drives larger than 250 will be formated differntly in a JTAG which prevents a few things, with the most major being that you can't play original Xbox games.

I suggest once you get the hard drive you follow this tutorial (if you have a stock microsoft drive).

Asphyxia

Asphyxia

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
It will work however any hard drives larger than 250 will be formated differntly in a JTAG which prevents a few things, with the most major being that you can't play original Xbox games.

I suggest once you get the hard drive you follow this tutorial (if you have a stock microsoft drive.
Alright thanks :biggrin: Will do :smile:

Top Bottom
Login
Register