What's new

Solved JRunner Chip Not Detected

SeanW095

SeanW095

Reaction score
Sin$
So I soldered the wires onto the proper joints, however the JRunner logo will not appear next to the CPU Key in JRunner Program for NAND dumping. I have the latest.NET So I'm not sure what's going on. Recheck Soldering?

SGCSam

SGCSam

Enthusiast
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
I'm assuming the logo you're referring to is the logo to show the JR Programmer is connected? If that's the case, that logo is based upon whether or not the JR Programmer is correctly connected to the PC and NOT the NAND.

To be clear, if the connection between your PC and JR Programmer is bad, the logo will not show.
If the connection between the JR Programmer and the NAND is bad, you'll get an invalid flash config and the "can not continue" message inside J-Runner when you attempt to read the NAND.

As the connection to the PC is bad, there's a number of things it could be. The USB port on the JR Programmer could be bad, the USB port on the PC could be bad, the USB cable could be bad or this could be a driver issue.

Assuming you've correctly installed the drivers, I'd try connecting the JR Programmer to a different USB port on your PC to start with.

Also, as an indication of what could be wrong, when you connect the JR Programmer to your PC listen out for the device connected sound that Windows plays. If it plays when you plug in the JR Programmer, this is most likely a driver issue. If it doesn't play, this is most likely a hardware issue.

SeanW095

SeanW095

Reaction score
Sin$
I'm assuming the logo you're referring to is the logo to show the JR Programmer is connected? If that's the case, that logo is based upon whether or not the JR Programmer is correctly connected to the PC and NOT the NAND.

To be clear, if the connection between your PC and JR Programmer is bad, the logo will not show.
If the connection between the JR Programmer and the NAND is bad, you'll get an invalid flash config and the "can not continue" message inside J-Runner when you attempt to read the NAND.

As the connection to the PC is bad, there's a number of things it could be. The USB port on the JR Programmer could be bad, the USB port on the PC could be bad, the USB cable could be bad or this could be a driver issue.

Assuming you've correctly installed the drivers, I'd try connecting the JR Programmer to a different USB port on your PC to start with.

Also, as an indication of what could be wrong, when you connect the JR Programmer to your PC listen out for the device connected sound that Windows plays. If it plays when you plug in the JR Programmer, this is most likely a driver issue. If it doesn't play, this is most likely a hardware issue.
Thanks for the response. It is a driver issue. I cannot get the driver from the J-runner folder to install. I've disabled integ. checks, as well as trusted signing. I also turned test signing on but to no avail. I am currently running windows 10. I know there are driver issues that come along with that. I get the error that there is no compatible software driver found in the folder. I try to force install from both cmd and powershell but I get access is denied even as sys32. I've researched all day but to no avail. pnputil will not install the 3rd party driver, and device manager tells me no. I have also booted in advanced mode with signing enforcement off but that failed as well. Is it possible TrustedInstaller is the issue?

SGCSam

SGCSam

Enthusiast
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Thanks for the response. It is a driver issue. I cannot get the driver from the J-runner folder to install. I've disabled integ. checks, as well as trusted signing. I also turned test signing on but to no avail. I am currently running windows 10. I know there are driver issues that come along with that. I get the error that there is no compatible software driver found in the folder. I try to force install from both cmd and powershell but I get access is denied even as sys32. I've researched all day but to no avail. pnputil will not install the 3rd party driver, and device manager tells me no. I have also booted in advanced mode with signing enforcement off but that failed as well. Is it possible TrustedInstaller is the issue?
I had a very similar issue with this with my X360Pro. Have you got the JR Programmer set to NOT be in bootloader mode when attempting to install the driver?

If bootloader mode is DISABLED when attempting to install the driver, this sounds very similar to what happened to me. The X360Pro and JR Programmer are two completely different devices, don't get me wrong, but I think the logic should be the same (this is an assumption, I could be completely wrong here - take this with a pinch of salt).

What I did to fix the issue was to ENABLE bootloader mode, then update the firmware, then DISABLE bootloader mode and the driver installed correctly (of course, Driver Signature Enforcement was disabled for me, I ran as admin, etc). I personally use a NAND-X so I'm not entirely sure how the JR Programmer firmware updates work - I'm sure someone here will be better educated on that than me.

SeanW095

SeanW095

Reaction score
Sin$
I had a very similar issue with this with my X360Pro. Have you got the JR Programmer set to NOT be in bootloader mode when attempting to install the driver?

If bootloader mode is DISABLED when attempting to install the driver, this sounds very similar to what happened to me. The X360Pro and JR Programmer are two completely different devices, don't get me wrong, but I think the logic should be the same (this is an assumption, I could be completely wrong here - take this with a pinch of salt).

What I did to fix the issue was to ENABLE bootloader mode, then update the firmware, then DISABLE bootloader mode and the driver installed correctly (of course, Driver Signature Enforcement was disabled for me, I ran as admin, etc). I personally use a NAND-X so I'm not entirely sure how the JR Programmer firmware updates work - I'm sure someone here will be better educated on that than me.
I am not sure what bootloader mode is. Sorry :/ so I’m unsure of what to do. I’m also unsure of how to update the firmware. I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge on this

SGCSam

SGCSam

Enthusiast
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
I am not sure what bootloader mode is. Sorry :/ so I’m unsure of what to do. I’m also unsure of how to update the firmware. I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge on this
No problem - at the bottom of the JR Programmer, next to the reset button is the Bootloader mode switch. Make sure that when you're attempting to install the drivers that it is set to the right so Bootloader mode is disabled.

Have a look at this image, I've highlighted the area I'm talking about:

SeanW095

SeanW095

Reaction score
Sin$
No problem - at the bottom of the JR Programmer, next to the reset button is the Bootloader mode switch. Make sure that when you're attempting to install the drivers that it is set to the right so Bootloader mode is disabled.

Have a look at this image, I've highlighted the area I'm talking about:

It is set to be disabled, and everything to do with windows driver enforcement is disabled at the moment? Should I try a different OS?

SGCSam

SGCSam

Enthusiast
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
It is set to be disabled, and everything to do with windows driver enforcement is disabled at the moment? Should I try a different OS?
If you have a different OS easily accessible to you, you could try that yeah, but before trying that I think I may know how we can update the firmware.

You've got a JR Programmer V2, correct? If so, can you let me know what, if any, lights are turned on on the JR Programmer when you connect it to your PC?

SeanW095

SeanW095

Reaction score
Sin$
If you have a different OS easily accessible to you, you could try that yeah, but before trying that I think I may know how we can update the firmware.

You've got a JR Programmer V2, correct? If so, can you let me know what, if any, lights are turned on on the JR Programmer when you connect it to your PC?
The red light comes on when I connect the usb cable

SGCSam

SGCSam

Enthusiast
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
The red light comes on when I connect the usb cable
Ok, plug in the JR Programmer to your PC then open J Runner. Go to Tools and Update JR-P fw. Navigate to your J Runner install directory in the pop up, open the common folder and select the PICFLASH_E_1_0_5-JRP-V2.HEX file. If everything goes well, the JR Programmer should update its firmware successfully. Let me know if there are any issues with that.

S

SeanW096

Reaction score
Sin$
Ok, plug in the JR Programmer to your PC then open J Runner. Go to Tools and Update JR-P fw. Navigate to your J Runner install directory in the pop up, open the common folder and select the PICFLASH_E_1_0_5-JRP-V2.HEX file. If everything goes well, the JR Programmer should update its firmware successfully. Let me know if there are any issues with that.
Still me, my other account froze up. In J-Runner it says device not found.

SGCSam

SGCSam

Enthusiast
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Still me, my other account froze up. In J-Runner it says device not found.
Damn, thought that might have happened. Go ahead and open up Device Manager - do you see the JR Programmer or any device with a yellow exclamation mark icon listed in any of the categories?

S

SeanW096

Reaction score
Sin$
Damn, thought that might have happened. Go ahead and open up Device Manager - do you see the JR Programmer or any device with a yellow exclamation mark icon listed in any of the categories?
This is where my issue started. It shows a USB device with a yellow sign. I am unable to assign the X-nand-upd driver to it.

SGCSam

SGCSam

Enthusiast
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
This is where my issue started. It shows a USB device with a yellow sign. I am unable to assign the X-nand-upd driver to it.
If there's only one of those listed, that's probably the JR Programmer. Just to make sure you're doing the install correctly to eliminate any chance of simple user error, go ahead and download these files: [Click here to view this link]

(I just want to make absolutely sure that the above is being done correctly as the alternative issues upcoming can be a bit annoying to debug.)

With Driver Signature Enforcement disabled, extract them to a folder somewhere on your PC. Then, right-click the USB device in Device Manager, select Update Driver then Browse for Driver software. Select the folder you extracted the above files to, then click next. If you're still getting an error, I'd try with your other OS if it's convenient.

S

SeanW096

Reaction score
Sin$
If there's only one of those listed, that's probably the JR Programmer. Just to make sure you're doing the install correctly to eliminate any chance of simple user error, go ahead and download these files: [Click here to view this link]

(I just want to make absolutely sure that the above is being done correctly as the alternative issues upcoming can be a bit annoying to debug.)

With Driver Signature Enforcement disabled, extract them to a folder somewhere on your PC. Then, right-click the USB device in Device Manager, select Update Driver then Browse for Driver software. Select the folder you extracted the above files to, then click next. If you're still getting an error, I'd try with your other OS if it's convenient.
My computer has refused to work with on this. I booted in advanced mode with every loophole around drive signature enforcement off and this is the result I recieved.

SGCSam

SGCSam

Enthusiast
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
My computer has refused to work with on this. I booted in advanced mode with every loophole around drive signature enforcement off and this is the result I recieved.

Damn, that's really strange and unlucky dude. I just had a look at some sources and the JR Programmer should show as "JR Programmer" in Device Manager, even if the drivers aren't installed. What's happening to you is almost identical what happened to me with my X360Pro. I fixed it by updating the firmware but if JRunner can't find the device then I'm really unsure if there's a possible alternative method you can use to update it.

I'm sure someone else may have some ideas of what you can do, but I myself use a NAND-X so someone else here will most likely know more than me to help you further. Sorry man :frown:

S

SeanW096

Reaction score
Sin$
Damn, that's really strange and unlucky dude. I just had a look at some sources and the JR Programmer should show as "JR Programmer" in Device Manager, even if the drivers aren't installed. What's happening to you is almost identical what happened to me with my X360Pro. I fixed it by updating the firmware but if JRunner can't find the device then I'm really unsure if there's a possible alternative method you can use to update it.

I'm sure someone else may have some ideas of what you can do, but I myself use a NAND-X so someone else here will most likely know more than me to help you further. Sorry man :frown:
Thanks for the help anyways man.

SamyHx

SamyHx

Reaction score
Sin$
Thanks for the help anyways man.
Hey I had the same issue. I lost my mind for a full day then figured it out at like 4am. Try this :

1) plug the JRunner into USB amd make sure the switch nearest to the mini USB port is on tbe 'C1' side

2) With the red LED on and the JRunner connected, flip the switch to the 'VR1' position

3) While the switch is in the 'VR1' position, click the reset button (right next to the switch) several times

4) Now, disconnect the JRunner from your computer

5) With the JRunner disconnected, flip the switch back to the 'C1' position

6) Plug the JRunner back into USB and the green LED should be on

Top Bottom
Login
Register