Jay

Retired
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
UPDATED

- Q9400 @3.6GHz
- EVGA 790i Ultra
- 8GB G.Skill DDR3-1600 (F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ) Unlinked at 1600MHz, 1.6v, 9-9-9-24 2T
- Thermaltake DuOrb CPU Cooler (This thing kicks *** in the cooling department but starts to fail after 3.6GHz)

- Apevia Warlock 750W PSU (Custom blue UV sleeving job that took me a few days to do at the cost of the warranty and a lot of cuts on my hands)
- Apevia X-Jupiter Full tower case (interior painted metallic black, bottom modified for cathodes)

- EVGA GTX 260 (192)
- EVGA GTX 260 (216)
(SLI'd 602/1298/1026, latest drivers)

- G.Skill Falcon II 128GB SSD
- Linksys PCI WNIC
- LG DVD+DL Burner w/Lightscribe
- Seagate 500GB 9200.11 SATA HDD/2x 320GB's in RAID 0
- Seagate 320GB External HDD
- NZXT Sentry 2 touchscreen fan controller
- 2 15" UV Cathodes
- 2 12" UV Cathodes
- 2 4" UV Cathodes
- 2 4" Blue Cathodes (modifed case to radiate light from underside of case)
- 5 Gelid Wing12 UV Blue 120mm fans (intake - front/side, exhaust - rear/top)
- 4 x5 LED lasers (2 blue and 2 UV, 1 blue lights up my room at night lol, the other 3 light up the forward panels inside the case)

- Logitech G15 Keyboard
- Logitech G500 Mouse
- Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround sound
- Wacom Bamboo Fun Tablet (5.5in x 8.75in)
- Samsung 22" Monitor
- HP Printer/scanner

desktop:
001.jpg

fans, the gap between the fan blades and the heatsink is so close... maybe a 1/16th of an inch at the most. I got really lucky with fitment on this one:
004.jpg

hard drives and cables:
005.jpg

front, needed cathodes up front to illuminate the front fan:
002.jpg

fan controller, since I'm using this I wired it so the two fan knobs originally on the case now control the cathodes and LED's:

010.jpg

THE BIRDS NEST!!! (atleast it's hidden from plain view but yea ridiculous I know) All the wires for the fan controller, molex cables, and those boxes for the cathodes had to go somewhere so this is where they went. Trust me when I say I'm never going in there again. It was chaos getting everything connected properly and then shoving it all into the 5.25 bays but there is a lot of wire. You can't even see the SSD that's buried under all of that. Aside from this mess the cable management is pretty good but there's not a lot of room to worth with when you've got a lot going on in a small case (I should get a mountain mods case)

003.jpg

Others:

Lights out:
006.jpg

Just cathodes:
008.jpg

Just LED's:
007.jpg

Both on (lights up my room, people outside probably wonder why my window is blue):
009.jpg

Futuremark PPU enabled (the way it's meant to be played)
http://service.futuremark.com/results/showSingleResult.action?resultId=2286465&resultType=19

The goal was to hit 20k without to much effort.

UT3 Benchmark:

ut3bench.png

E

EDDiiE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Finally, someone who sees the power in the Q9400 :smile: I've seen people run for the 9550 so many times. Just like the i7 920, it's overclock-able too but people waste money buying the 975. Why not a thermaltake psu though?

J

Jay

Retired
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Yea I'm really happy with the Q9400. It's like the little chip that could... and then some lol. If I had water cooling I wouldn't hesitate to take it up to 4.0GHz (that's as far as it'll go since the FSB maxes out and 2000MHz). 3.6GHz is fine for me and lets my GPU's realize their full potential.

Thermaltake PSU... Apevia caught my eye and I've been really impressed ever since. Who knows what my next build will have in it but it's going to have to deal with gulftown and SLI'd fermi cards lol.

modz4bud

modz4bud

Enthusiast
Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
That's a really nice setup. Maybe i'm just not seeing it listed idk.. but what case is that? Looks huge. Is it a Full?

Also, in ratio to the case how big is that thermaltake cpu cooler?

J

Jay

Retired
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
modz4bud said:
That's a really nice setup. Maybe i'm just not seeing it listed idk.. but what case is that? Looks huge. Is it a Full?

Also, in ratio to the case how big is that thermaltake cpu cooler?

Crap forgot to list that. It's an Apevia X-Jupiter Full tower case. The cooler is also huge, there's maybe a .25in gap between the fins and the lower rear case fan and the front covers all of the RAM slots. It Barely and I mean barely fit the motherboard and case but it works perfectly.

toxicdonkey said:
How much did it cost you, total?

A lot. This all started a year ago when the 790i and 260's were brand new so you can bet they costed a lot.

Sol Invictus

scopen4

Contributor
Reaction score
Sin$
I bet that poses as a nice heater in your room!:thumbup::biggrin:

J

Jay

Retired
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Yup middle of winter, vents closed, window wide open, and it still gets warm in here at night.

SiK GambleR

SiK GambleR

VIP
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
damn, now turn the 360 on with this bad boy, turn on all your lights, and shut the windows. after 3 hours cook bacon on your desk.

!!!!! NO NEED TO GO IN THE KITCHEN EVER AGAIN

J

Jay

Retired
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Update: I'm stable at 3.6GHz :smile:

Still fighting with the video drivers though.

Oh and just to piss you guys off even more I'm more than likely going to be buying two GTX 275's as these 260's are pissing me off. The old one is about to die. The new one is fine so I'll just sell it and be done with the 260's. 275's are basically on par with the 285's even though there's like a $100 price difference and the 295's can go jump off a cliff for all I care lol.

trtl

trtl

Seasoned Member
Mythical Veteran Forum Addict Legendary Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Why not just wait for Fermi? If not to buy, at least those cards will drop in price.

J

Jay

Retired
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Fermi's release date is up in the air and they are going to cost a lot. Especially when I'll be doing SLI which also means another PSU among other things. The plan is to SLI 275's for now and have this as my computer for a couple years since even though it's a year old and might seem outdated with it being socket 775 and not 1366 along with the 200 series being phased out by the GF100's you can still throw anything at it and I mean anything and it handles it with ease.

Who knows what will be out in 2 years time but I will have the funds to build a top of the line PC by the standards of whatever is out. It actually might only be another year until I build a new rig but this is it for now.

Oh and to address the atleast wait so it drops the prices of the 200 series... I've got $1000 that I can spend lol so money is of no importance. I think I might pick up an SSD to help with performance since that'll be the bottleneck in my system now. Everything else is screaming.

Update: Hit 3.8GHz... 1900FSB appears to create hole for my RAM and downclocks it a bit but that doesn't matter since I'm within spitting distance of this chips limits. on air!

vcore in BIOS is set to 1.45. Idle in windows it drops to 1.42 and under load it falls to 1.36. That's a huge vdroop but is a common thing with the 790i ultra. I'm not to sure how I feel about running this thing 24/7 with 1.42v going through it but it should be fine. It's stable (I only ran the test for 15 mins but it stresses the hell out of your system so I'm feeling pretty confident, I'll go back and do a couple hours more and maybe an IBT). I would try for 3.9 but that's really pushing the voltage and I'd rather not shorten this little guy's life by too much. Temps never went past 66 and the max I can go is 72. So yea I'm going to call it done. 3.8GHz is a 42.5% overclock FFS! Did I mention this was all on air... no liquid cooling...

J

Jay

Retired
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Madman340 said:

Pretty much my reaction when I hit 3.8 lol.

Now the tough decision...

GTX 275 vanilla (will be overclocked)
GTX 275 FTW (puts the 285 on its knees lol, won't be overclocked since it's already maxed out)
GTX 275 1792MB (extremely pointless unless I'm running like a 30" screen, could overclock but probably won't OC as well due to twice as much memory)

trtl

trtl

Seasoned Member
Mythical Veteran Forum Addict Legendary Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
VRAM places only a small role, and is usually overhyped... Unless it's not over 1GB you will most likely not have a problem. Although at 2560x1600 I'd recommend a little more than 1GB. Not sure if SLI combines them or uses one of them.

Also, is this your post? (First 'Anonymous' post)
I ran into it looking for 2560x1600 benchmarks lol.

J

Jay

Retired
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Just to make the choice of wait for Fermi even harder...

a) they still haven't released that much information but the general idea is that one GF100 is going to be a bit better then GTX 285 in SLI.

b) cost will be about the same for either route...

c) DX11?! Hell there isn't even that many DX10 games out right now but DX11 looks amazing to say the least...

d) product revisions... The GF100 revisions that are going to happen in Q4 of 2010 will make skipping the launch of Fermi worth it.

Decisions decisions... I have a system that can support both routes... 750w with 54 amps... is good for just about any dual SLI set up... 790i isn't going anywhere so SLI is a must since I want to use this board for it's intended purpose... What the hell nvidia just release the damn card already:mad:.

I'm 75% sure that I'm just going to buy two 275's and wait for the revisions near the end of 2010 where the GF100 will have reached product maturity and have also reached it's maximum performance. Then buy it and kill every ati fanboy in a 10km radius. I'm also in the process of buying all sorts of stuff to make my PC even more awesome:

- 5 new 120mm Blue UV reactive fans (Wing 15 me thinks, or something else. I haven't decided yet)
- NZXT Sentry LX fan controller (perfect since I have 5 case fans currently controlled by the in/out dials on the front which are kind of annoying anyways)
- Blue UV reactive cable sleeving (going to void the warranty on the PSU but this stuff looks so amazing under UV)
- Another UV cold cathode
- Blue UV SATA sables
- paint the inside of my case black/blue metal flake. (the black will amplify the UV even more compared to the bare aluminum which kills the UV)

Missing anything that involves UV?:biggrin::wink:. The theme of the case is going to be Black. UV glowing blue. and the red fan on the DuOrb right in the center as the heart of the system.

So all that eyecandy ontop of GTX 275's and a 128GB SSD from G.Skill.

(the following might also happen)

- Another DVD burner/lightscribe & blueray support
- Bigger monitor to support the crazy resolutions my GPU's are just itching to run at and HDMI.

Haxalot88

Haxalot88

VIP
VIP
Reaction score
Sin$
Seriously, get all 8gb RAM installed. Surely you can overclock your processor well enough to not lose stability in your RAM.

Top Bottom
Login
Register