What's new

Question Jasper slower from cold boot?

Z

Zerker24

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
So, I have recently RGH'd a Jasper 512mb big block and I have come across an issue that I have never seen before lol.

If I leave the system off for a while, it takes ages to boot (Sometimes 7-8 cycles). However, after a couple of boots, it insta-boot every time. It's weird. This has made this console a nightmare to get good boot times with. Has anyone else ran into this before? If so, is there a way to fix it?

Also, every rare once in a while the console doesn't boot. It glitches successfully (At least the chip stops blinking like it is successful), just doesn't ever boot lol.

I am using a clone rev c with "rgh12_22.xsvf" as my current timing file. I highly doubt it is my soldering, but I included some pics. I have done a few consoles in the past, all of witch insta-boot. This is however my first Jasper BB console.

I did the best I could with a magnifying glass, but my camera sucks lol. I did notice the burn on that ground wire after taking the pics. It will be replaced soon, don't worry.

Code:
[After testing a bunch of timing files]
2 (No Boot)

[Left off for a couple hours]

[continues to be 1 - 2 cycles until I left it off agian]

Last edited:
G

godofwrath

Reaction score
Sin$
I've come across this frequently, there seems to be a consensus that it's just thermals. So you can end up with different glitch cycles whilst the console is open in just the metal chassis and when the console is closed with the DVD drive in and the shell on, or even just from powering on the console and it heating up.

You can try a different timing file (people usually find _18 and default rev C config works good with jaspers, but every console is indeed different.) to have it cold boot better, but then you may get more instability later if you're attempting to reboot the console after it's heated up. I'd at least suggest try finding a medium that you're happy with and just stick with it

Alternatively you can compile a new timing file from source more tailored to your console, but that's quite a bit of effort for a fairly small reward...

Or simply try changing the jumpers on the coolrunner itself (2-3 to 1-2 etc). There's just a lot to trial. Depends what you're feeling up to trying and how far you're willing to go to test it.

Z

Zerker24

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I've come across this frequently, there seems to be a consensus that it's just thermals. So you can end up with different glitch cycles whilst the console is open in just the metal chassis and when the console is closed with the DVD drive in and the shell on, or even just from powering on the console and it heating up.

You can try a different timing file (people usually find _18 and default rev C config works good with jaspers, but every console is indeed different.) to have it cold boot better, but then you may get more instability later if you're attempting to reboot the console after it's heated up. I'd at least suggest try finding a medium that you're happy with and just stick with it

Alternatively you can compile a new timing file from source more tailored to your console, but that's quite a bit of effort for a fairly small reward...

Or simply try changing the jumpers on the coolrunner itself (2-3 to 1-2 etc). There's just a lot to trial. Depends what you're feeling up to trying and how far you're willing to go to test it.
I'm glad to see it's not just me lol. This problem seems to persist no mstter what. Granted, it is still just in the chassis. I do test with the dvd drive in, as I found it does seem to matter.

I have tried all combos of jumper with 1-2 or 1-3. All have similar performance once I find the timing file that works with that config.

I do have several ace v3 (I'm also working on a corona and trinity atm lol) lying around as well. Would I get better performance out of the dynamic file? I need to order the resistors, but I van try it.

I would like to check out the source though, mostly to find how it ticks lol. Maybe get good boot time as well.

Last edited:
G

godofwrath

Reaction score
Sin$
I'm glad to see it's not just me lol. This problem seems to persist no mstter what. Granted, it is still just in the chassis. I do test with the dvd drive in, as I found it does seem to matter.

I have tried all combos of jumper with 1-2 or 1-3. All have similar performance once I find the timing file that works with that config.

I do have several ace v3 (I'm also working on a corona and trinity atm lol) lying around as well. Would I get better performance out of the dynamic file? I need to order the resistors, but I van try it.

I would like to check out the source though, mostly to find how it ticks lol. Maybe get good boot time as well.

BB Jaspers I tend to use a Matrix with the crystal and big IC over a coolrunner. Have you tried the "if you mad" files or toyed with the length of cpu reset? longer/shorter reset wire can affect timings, but BB's are usually a pain to get consistent times with so I prefer using a better quality chip, like the Matrix which you can essentially use as a poor mans CR4. Much more stable chip than the Rev C (especially the clones)

At the end of the day, you just need to find a solution you're happy with, but with a Matrix even on BB's I get 1-3 cycle boots RGH 1.2 constantly from cold to heated.

Z

Zerker24

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
BB Jaspers I tend to use a Matrix with the crystal and big IC over a coolrunner. Have you tried the "if you mad" files or toyed with the length of cpu reset? longer/shorter reset wire can affect timings, but BB's are usually a pain to get consistent times with so I prefer using a better quality chip, like the Matrix which you can essentially use as a poor mans CR4. Much more stable chip than the Rev C (especially the clones)

At the end of the day, you just need to find a solution you're happy with, but with a Matrix even on BB's I get 1-3 cycle boots RGH 1.2 constantly from cold to heated.
Yeah, I've used every timing lol. I have shorten the wire as much as I could. I'll look into putting a matrix in the console soon, I just need to order one.

RedEyedJesus

RedEyedJesus

✯UK Console Seller/Old Timer/Legend✯
Experienced Veteran Services Free Hoster
Reaction score
Sin$
It shouldn't just be randomly blinking. All I can say is go with whatever is best. I find coolrunners hit and miss nowadays. I prefer to go Ace v3, 22k resistor & jasper dynamic timing file for all phats works a treat

Z

Zerker24

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
It shouldn't just be randomly blinking. All I can say is go with whatever is best. I find coolrunners hit and miss nowadays. I prefer to go Ace v3, 22k resistor & jasper dynamic timing file for all phats works a treat
It's not randomly blinking. It's just a constant rapid blink. I'm guessing due to it being a clone, there is a problem with that cap witch is causing the issue.

I do have a couple spare Ace V3's laying around. I knew you needed a resistor, just wasn't 100%. I was hoping to get this coolrunner to work as it has worked perfect for every falcon I have done lol. Guess I'm ordering some 22k resistors lol.

RedEyedJesus

RedEyedJesus

✯UK Console Seller/Old Timer/Legend✯
Experienced Veteran Services Free Hoster
Reaction score
Sin$
It's not randomly blinking. It's just a constant rapid blink. I'm guessing due to it being a clone, there is a problem with that cap witch is causing the issue.

I do have a couple spare Ace V3's laying around. I knew you needed a resistor, just wasn't 100%. I was hoping to get this coolrunner to work as it has worked perfect for every falcon I have done lol. Guess I'm ordering some 22k resistors lol.

Why not + you don't have to solder the CLK its not needed.

Z

Zerker24

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Why not + you don't have to solder the CLK its not needed.
The clock position that I used (White wire) is easy to solder to and, at least so far, has the same performance as the small top side point. So I wasn't too worried lol. The dynamic file does sound nice though lol, not going to lie.

P.S. I did try the other clock position in this build, no change.

Z

Zerker24

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Update:

Still having the same issue. I have switched modchips multiple times, to multiple types.

Rev C (Clone)
Matrix without crystal
Matrix with crystal.

All the same. I get perfect instant boots, until I let the console sit and cool down. Then it takes anywhere from 4 to 10+ cycles to boot.

I haven't tried the ACE v3 with the dynamic because I couldn't seem to find a legitimate board to purchase and I heard the clones don't like to be re-programmed. Also, because I doubt it will help. The console boots perfectly.

It's annoying because I can't even find a timing file because the console heats up while testing.

Top Bottom
Login
Register