• Start date
  • Views 962
rowdyalmonds

rowdyalmonds

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Hey folks,

Having a problem with my latest attempt at RGH. Using a matrix v1 without oscillator. Got the console to boot xell, punched in the CPU key and flashed the nand image. I got maybe 5 successful boots out of it before I started messing around with my various hard drives to see if I could be lazy and avoid setting up all the proper software to run aurora.

I previously had a falcon that worked great for a few days, froze, and promptly bricked. I'd done a good bit of legwork as far as software installs, so I thought I'd just try it out. First I plugged in a HD from another retail Jasper I had, it booted fine. Swapped it out for the 500gb HD I had in the falcon RGH before it bricked; no boot. removed the HD, it boots. Plugged the HD in while its still on, and it goes straight to aurora. all my files are still there and accessible.

Fired up a game, it worked fine for the main menu, and froze upon trying to load a level. Now the chip is not illuminating, and the console won't boot. turns on, no RROD, just nothing. DVD drive opens and closes. Is it possible I fried the chip through some kind of HD compatibility issue? any other thoughts?

rowdyalmonds

rowdyalmonds

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I'm not sure; I desoldered the wires for my JR programmer when I buttoned the thing back up; I haven't opened it since it froze last night. I ordered another matrix chip, so rolling the dice on the $12 I spent on it. I'll at least pull the old chip and see if it will flash when I open it. New chip will be here monday, so I'm a little reluctant to try any more motherboard soldering until it does.

Do you know if these matrix chips would ever fry over something like that, or am I being too optimistic?
Post automatically merged:

Also-- Does anyone know if I should be able to swap a HD I set up for another RGH seamlessly over to this new RGH?

Last edited:
rowdyalmonds

rowdyalmonds

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Flashed back to stock nand; instant RROD. Is this motherboard toast? or can I salvage it with a thermal paste repair?

laz_no

laz_no

Enthusiast
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Flashed back to stock nand; instant RROD. Is this motherboard toast? or can I salvage it with a thermal paste repair?

load ur original dump in jrunner , select what type of hack u want , creat Ecc , write .... with this u can boot to xell and the rrod will gone

rowdyalmonds

rowdyalmonds

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
load ur original dump in jrunner , select what type of hack u want , creat Ecc , write .... with this u can boot to xell and the rrod will gone
Hm. RROD is gone now, but no boot. Tried old nand and retail glitch to no avail. I'll try this.

Thinking these issues may have to do with the type of wires I've been using...know anything about what kind of wires I should use? Seems like mind were not able to withstand the heat demands. I just used some ribbon wire off amazon, got any recommendations for wire specs?

Just now learning what Kynar wiring is...should I go with 28 or 30g? I see different recommendations out there. I would presume 28 to deliver electrical pulses faster over distance, but 30 to keep cooler. My wire routing tends to run as long as 10 inches to avoid the x clamps from the bottom of the motherboard.

B

BluesMan67

Enthusiast
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Hm. RROD is gone now, but no boot. Tried old nand and retail glitch to no avail. I'll try this.

Thinking these issues may have to do with the type of wires I've been using...know anything about what kind of wires I should use? Seems like mind were not able to withstand the heat demands. I just used some ribbon wire off amazon, got any recommendations for wire specs?

Just now learning what Kynar wiring is...should I go with 28 or 30g? I see different recommendations out there. I would presume 28 to deliver electrical pulses faster over distance, but 30 to keep cooler. My wire routing tends to run as long as 10 inches to avoid the x clamps from the bottom of the motherboard.
Use 28awg gauge Kynar for PLL/bypass,CPU-RST and Post out points.Use 22 or 24awg gauge for 5v and GND points.

rowdyalmonds

rowdyalmonds

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Use 28awg gauge Kynar for PLL/bypass,CPU-RST and Post out points.Use 22 or 24awg gauge for 5v and GND points.

Awesome, thanks. I'm using a matrix, so my voltage is 3.3v, but I assume the same diameters will work. Got a recommendation for the CLK? all are kynar wires or do you use silicone on the smaller gauges?

B

BluesMan67

Enthusiast
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Awesome, thanks. I'm using a matrix, so my voltage is 3.3v, but I assume the same diameters will work. Got a recommendation for the CLK? all are kynar wires or do you use silicone on the smaller gauges?
I use either Kynar or silicone.I do get best results using silicone covered wire though.

laz_no

laz_no

Enthusiast
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$

Rrod bcz the nand dump was baaad .. don't worry man i got the same problem last week and i solve it ...

1) do u have a temperture problem ? is ur fans are spining so fast and loud ?

2) can u please send some pics of ur instalation ..

3) follow this guide : ... and if u misunderstand somthing , just ask about it and i wil try to help you .

rowdyalmonds

rowdyalmonds

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Thanks folks, I'll give these a try once I get my hands on the right wires. I'll try to get some pics then. to reiterate, consensus on the wires appears to be:

PLL - 28g kynar
RST - 28g kynar
Post - 28g kynar
3.3v - 24 or 22g silicone or kynar
CLK - 24 or 22g silicone or kynar
Ground - 24 or 22g silicone or kynar

Please do speak up if you have objections to any of these parameters, thanks!

Top Bottom
Login
Register