Unsolved Jailbreak Safe Mode Boot

• Thread starter Quacked
  • Start date
  • Views 3,153
Q

Quacked

I'm a Duck :P
Reaction score
So I edited some files on my PS3 (category_friend.xmb) to be exact to get custom text, I reboot my PS3 it says please connect a controller with a USB cable etc. So I did that and I choose my profile and I only have 5 seconds xmb time before it black screens and goes to the Controller USB thing so it's like an infinite loop so I started in safe mode and got these 6 options infront of me:

1. Restart System
2. Restore Default Settings
3. Restore File System
4. Rebuild Database
5. Restore PS3™ System
6. System Update

The question I have is if I press system update will it go to an option to choose my USB or will it install OFW? Thanks.

C Cali Pianist Prodigy

C

Cali

Retired
Retired
Reaction score
So I edited some files on my PS3 (category_friend.xmb) to be exact to get custom text, I reboot my PS3 it says please connect a controller with a USB cable etc. So I did that and I choose my profile and I only have 5 seconds xmb time before it black screens and goes to the Controller USB thing so it's like an infinite loop so I started in safe mode and got these 6 options infront of me:

1. Restart System
2. Restore Default Settings
3. Restore File System
4. Rebuild Database
5. Restore PS3™ System
6. System Update

The question I have is if I press system update will it go to an option to choose my USB or will it install OFW? Thanks.

C Cali Pianist Prodigy

When you click option six, system update it will ask you to plug in a storage media device [ USB ] . Now all you do is while the USB is plugged into the right side USB port you hold "Start" and "Select" at the same time and it will continue to install the update you have on your USB device. When you update the console make sure there is NO disk inside of the console because if there is it will put you on official firmware.

Q

Quacked

Reaction score
When you click option six, system update it will ask you to plug in a storage media device [ USB ] . Now all you do is while the USB is plugged into the right side USB port you hold "Start" and "Select" at the same time and it will continue to install the update you have on your USB device. When you update the console make sure there is NO disk inside of the console because if there is it will put you on official firmware.
So I have no disk in and its updating from my USB that's good right?

C

Cali

Retired
Retired
Reaction score
So I have no disk in and its updating from my USB that's good right?
Yes, after you re-install the custom firmware you should no longer be in the XMB loop.

Q

Quacked

Reaction score
Yes, after you re-install the custom firmware you should no longer be in the XMB loop.
I'm back on my XMB looking jailbroken, and all the hombrew are working fine.

C

Cali

Retired
Retired
Reaction score
I'm back on my XMB looking jailbroken, and all the hombrew are working fine.
As long as you can open the homebrew apps then you're still jailbroken and have nothing to worry about. As for changing text on your XMB menu, check out the videos below. They should help you.

Q

Quacked

Reaction score
As long as you can open the homebrew apps then you're still jailbroken and have nothing to worry about. As for changing text on your XMB menu, check out the videos below. They should help you.
Thanks a lot I thought I bricked it, I'm not risking the text again damn that, haha, thanks a lot though man seriously.

C

Cali

Retired
Retired
Reaction score
Thanks a lot I thought I bricked it, I'm not risking the text again damn that, haha, thanks a lot though man seriously.
No problem, if you do want to change the text I recommend those videos as they are the exact videos I used when I was editing my XMB text. As long as you can boot your console into safe mode you will be able to unbrick your console 99% of the time. This is usually a soft-brick though when you can boot into safe mode. When your console doesn't turn on at all and doesn't boot into safe mode you either fully bricked the console, have GLOD ( green light of death ) or YLOD ( yellow light of death ) . Always be careful when changing files that have to do with the boot.

Q

Quacked

Reaction score
No problem, if you do want to change the text I recommend those videos as they are the exact videos I used when I was editing my XMB text. As long as you can boot your console into safe mode you will be able to unbrick your console 99% of the time. This is usually a soft-brick though when you can boot into safe mode. When your console doesn't turn on at all and doesn't boot into safe mode you either fully bricked the console, have GLOD ( green light of death ) or YLOD ( yellow light of death ) . Always be careful when changing files that have to do with the boot.
Thanks man, appreciate it! :smile:

Top Bottom