• Start date
  • Views 546
Krackie 7s

Krackie 7s

Banned
Fabled Veteran Forum Addict Legendary Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Okay so one of my user accounts on my Mac became corrupted so I can't use it but I want to use it's iTunes library on my new account. How should I do this?

JesseJtag

JesseJtag

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Call apple, for sure they can un-corrupt (Word I made up :biggrin:) your profile.

1-800-4my-apple

psych0t1csupr1s3

Psych0t1cSupp3r

Linux. Superior, period.
Reaction score
Sin$
Call apple, for sure they can un-corrupt (Word I made up :biggrin:) your profile.

1-800-4my-apple
That's 12 numbers. There are only 11 numbers in a phone number. The 4 doesn't belong there, that's for Xbox.

K

knockem

Contributor
Hardened Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
From Apple's website.

Summary

Learn how different accounts on a single computer with iTunes can share music.

Products Affected

Windows XP, Windows, iTunes, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows, Windows XP, Windows Vista

If you are trying to share music between multiple computers, see iTunes: How to share your music.

To share your music with multiple user accounts on one computer

On Mac OS X

1.Quit iTunes.
2.Locate your iTunes Media Folder. (This folder may instead be named "iTunes Music" if your iTunes Library was created before iTunes 9). By default, the iTunes Media folder is stored in one of the following locations: ■~/Music/iTunes
■~/Documents/iTunes/
Note: "~" represents your Home folder.

These locations cannot be accessed by other accounts on your computer. In order for other users to be able to access your music, you must move the iTunes Media folder from them to a publicly accessible location.

3.Drag the iTunes Media folder to a publicly accessible location. The Public folder in your Home folder (~/Public) is a good location, or to another location outside your Home folder that other users have access to, such as /Users/Shared.
Important: Do not move the iTunes folder, the iTunes Library file or the iTunes Library.xml file.

4.Open iTunes.
5.From the iTunes menu, choose Preferences.
6.Click Advanced.
7.Click the Change button.
8.In the window that opens, navigate to the location of your iTunes Media folder.
9.Click Choose.

Repeat these steps for each user account that you want to share music with other users.

Note: If multiple users on your computer are storing music in one publicly accessible folder, duplicate song files appear when a user imports music from a CD that has already been imported by another user.

To listen to another account's music files
1.Open iTunes.
2.From the iTunes menu, choose Preferences.
3.Click Advanced.
4.Deselect the option to "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library file."
5.Click OK.
6.From the File menu, choose Add to Library.
Note: Windows users can also choose Add Folder to Library to add a folder of songs.

7.In the window that opens, navigate to the location where the other user's music is saved (the iTunes Media folder in this example).
8.Click Open.

Repeat these steps for each account that is listening to shared music.

When another user on the computer imports new music from CD, repeat steps 6 through 8 to add the music to your library.

A note about copyright
This software may be used to reproduce materials. It is licensed to you only for reproduction of non-copyrighted materials, materials in which you own the copyright, or materials you are authorized or legally permitted to reproduce. If you are uncertain about your right to copy any material, you should contact your legal advisor.

K

knockem

Contributor
Hardened Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
From Apple's website.

Summary

Learn how different accounts on a single computer with iTunes can share music.

Products Affected

Windows XP, Windows, iTunes, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows, Windows XP, Windows Vista

If you are trying to share music between multiple computers, see iTunes: How to share your music.

To share your music with multiple user accounts on one computer

On Mac OS X

1.Quit iTunes.
2.Locate your iTunes Media Folder. (This folder may instead be named "iTunes Music" if your iTunes Library was created before iTunes 9). By default, the iTunes Media folder is stored in one of the following locations: ■~/Music/iTunes
■~/Documents/iTunes/
Note: "~" represents your Home folder.

These locations cannot be accessed by other accounts on your computer. In order for other users to be able to access your music, you must move the iTunes Media folder from them to a publicly accessible location.

3.Drag the iTunes Media folder to a publicly accessible location. The Public folder in your Home folder (~/Public) is a good location, or to another location outside your Home folder that other users have access to, such as /Users/Shared.
Important: Do not move the iTunes folder, the iTunes Library file or the iTunes Library.xml file.

4.Open iTunes.
5.From the iTunes menu, choose Preferences.
6.Click Advanced.
7.Click the Change button.
8.In the window that opens, navigate to the location of your iTunes Media folder.
9.Click Choose.

Repeat these steps for each user account that you want to share music with other users.

Note: If multiple users on your computer are storing music in one publicly accessible folder, duplicate song files appear when a user imports music from a CD that has already been imported by another user.

To listen to another account's music files
1.Open iTunes.
2.From the iTunes menu, choose Preferences.
3.Click Advanced.
4.Deselect the option to "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library file."
5.Click OK.
6.From the File menu, choose Add to Library.
Note: Windows users can also choose Add Folder to Library to add a folder of songs.

7.In the window that opens, navigate to the location where the other user's music is saved (the iTunes Media folder in this example).
8.Click Open.

Repeat these steps for each account that is listening to shared music.

When another user on the computer imports new music from CD, repeat steps 6 through 8 to add the music to your library.

A note about copyright
This software may be used to reproduce materials. It is licensed to you only for reproduction of non-copyrighted materials, materials in which you own the copyright, or materials you are authorized or legally permitted to reproduce. If you are uncertain about your right to copy any material, you should contact your legal advisor.

Styx

Styx

Contributor
Reaction score
Sin$
Okay so one of my user accounts on my Mac became corrupted so I can't use it but I want to use it's iTunes library on my new account. How should I do this?
All you have to be is an Admin on another account, that way you can access the files from the other user.
If they files are still in place, browse for them on the new account, and add them
You're done!

If you don't know where to find them they're under:
Macintosh HD > Users > User account > Music > iTunes > iTunes Music

Top Bottom
Login
Register