Issues with 360 HDD upgrade WD1200BEVT

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Support Archive' started by trees415, Feb 4, 2010 with 2 replies and 1,248 views.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trees415

trees415 Newbie

Ratings:
    So I have a pretty basic question, however i cannot seem to find an answer so far, and I have been searching the net all day. I recently procured a western digital scorpio blue 120gb HDD (WD1200BEVT) to upgrade my 360 HDD, and i didn't take the time to notice that my comp, which is pretty old (1.5 gb/s sata speed), has a chipset which cannot communicate properly w/ the WD hard drive (which operates at 3 gb/s) to allow for backward compatibility (its a VIA VT8237 southbridge). Thus, I am trying to decide my next option, as I really do not want to send this drive back, considering I got a great deal on it. What would you guys suggest I do? I know my options are to either use an external enclosure, a raid card, some kind of cable/adapter, or a foot up the *** for wreckless internet shopping. Any suggestions?
    A few important notes: I do not have a PCI-E port, so I can only use PCI raid Controllers,and sadly, the sata 2 raid controllers for PCI are way too much bank. Most importantly, I'd prefer something I could pick up at a store, and that is relatively cheap (under $40).Give it to me straight. BTW, sorry if this is the wrong forum, i didn't know where else to post this. And if anyone needs to hear this, no I am not modding this for any financial gain, I intend to spend the money I would have put towards the MS HDD towards DLC and stuff like that, so what goes around , comes around and I hope Mr. Gates will understand. Thanks a lot for any help.

2. Chaosx721

Chaosx721 Enthusiast

Ratings:
    I think(Not 100% sure on this) that you should be able to just replace the xbox hard drive with your new one and buy a data migration kit from Microsoft and connect it to usb. Also I read that if there's a jumper on the drive that it should be backwards compatible, I'm just not sure with your drive.

3. OP
    trees415

trees415 Newbie

Ratings:
    Yeah, unfortunately I have to format the drive with hddhackr first before i can migrate data, and also for some stupid reason, only the western digital desktop hard drives (3.5") have jumper settings for sata 1.5gb/s backward compatability, which is rediculous because all the seagate laptop HDDs can do this. Im going to try my luck with an external enclosure and see if it works, and worst case scenario i buy a raid card or get the 1200bevs model.

Well, actually it turns out that the hard drive was DOA so, I sent it back and am going to get a BEVS model instead. Also, just thought I should add that using a hard drive enclosure and trying to flash a drive via USB will NOT work. HDDhackr will not recognize the drive. So if anyone stumbles upon this dying thread, then there is a little bit of useful info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.