Is this possible? [Entity 2.1.5]

Discussion in 'Halo 2 Mod Help' started by Jordan117, Jun 27, 2009 with 4 replies and 364 views.

1. Jordan117

Jordan117 Newbie

Ratings:
    Let me preface this by saying that I know next to nothing about modding. I only installed Entity for the BSP viewer -- flying through maps and cinematic environments is incredibly cool -- and only know enough to get that up and running (and to browse things like bitmap files). So I apologize if my question is extremely noobish. I did a lot of searching beforehand and read the FAQs, and even tinkered around with some map files myself to see if I could stumble upon the solution, but no dice.

Anyway, what I'm trying to do is get a good look at the unmodified newmombasa.map environment -- specifically "earthcity_cine_intro_bsp", which contains the Old Mombasa street cinematic where the Scarab shoots down the Pelicans, as well as the model of New Mombasa and the space elevator that is seen at the beginning of "Outskirts" and at the end of "Metropolis".

I'm trying to inspect the latter environment, with the models of the suspension bridge and the city and the space elevator, but it's being obscured by an annoying effect:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Direct links to images: First one, second one, third one

As you can see, the bottom one-third or so of the map is below a layer of some kind that blocks your view of it. I'm pretty sure that this is the layer of fog or clouds that appears in the cinematic -- except the one in the BSP viewer is completely opaque. The underlying geometry is there, but everything below the layer is "invisible", except for the basic coastline and stuff. Likewise, if you go below the layer and look up, everything above the layer disappears. You can see everything if you are at eye level with the layer, but this is unsatisfactory for viewing the map.

What I'd like to know: is there any way to remove or disable this layer from the BSP viewer? Can I delete it? Move it a few dozen units downward? Make it really small or transparent? Replace it with something else? Run the BSP viewer so it renders it as fog instead of an opaque blue plane? Anything really, just as long as it will make the whole map visible.

I've tried fiddling with the settings on every "fog" and "cloud" object in the map, but nothing seems to affect the layer. There's probably something really simple I'm missing, but again, I have zero experience modding map files. Can anybody help me out?

PS: Remember that I just need this to work in the BSP viewer -- I don't have a modded Xbox to hook up with.

Thanks in advance!

2. Brown Wigga

Brown Wigga Enthusiast

Ratings:
    If you can find its shader in the bsp tag you could null it but that will just make it extremely white and more annoying. Try the updated entitys (2.0 versions) by Troy, he has a tab for nulling bsp chunks when in the viewer to get a better view of like inside buildings and stuff. Hope that helps.

3. OP
    Jordan117

Jordan117 Newbie

Ratings:
    Thanks, Brown Wigga -- can you elaborate on this?

I'd already run through all the bsp tags in the Meta Editor and plugged in a "0" for any sections that looked related to clouds or fog -- no effect.

I also read about the chunk nulling on the info page for Entity 2.1.5, but I'm having some trouble making it work. I've gone through and un-checked every single chunk, with no visible effect on the map. I thought maybe it was a campaign thing -- I recall Troy saying there were some problems with "chunk cloning" in the campaign maps -- but I tried doing the same thing on Turf and couldn't make any part of the map disappear, either.

For example:
    Turning chunk #1 green
    Attempting to disable chunk #1
    Attempting to disable ALL chunks

The way I understand it, the basic geometry of the map (buildings, terrain, etc.) is split up into a few dozen "chunks", and you can toggle different chunks on and off in the BSP viewer. I can *see* the chunks exist, because I can use the Lightmap Palettes tab to make specific chunks brighter or darker, and can see that change happen in the map. But when I check or uncheck the same chunk in the chunk nulling tab, nothing happens. Am I missing something? Is there something else I have to do to put the nullification into action? I've already tried saving at the Main tab, but still nothing. :/

Any ideas?

4. Brown Wigga

Brown Wigga Enthusiast

Ratings:
    When you disable the chunks in the bsp viewer they should disapear from sight. i'm not sure why nothing happens. Try a different map or something, it personally works fine for me on backwash. If you cant get that to work try using 2.1.4. 2.1.5 BSP viewer messes up for me sometimes.

5. OP
    Jordan117

Jordan117 Newbie

Ratings:
    Gah! Still no luck. I downloaded Entity 2.1.4, and the chunk nulling still doesn't do anything, on any map.

Is there a step I'm missing? All I'm doing is unchecking chunks on the BSP Selection tab, and occasionally saving my changes using the Main tab. Is there something else I need to do to make the chunks disappear in the BSP viewer?